IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

10 hours ago, Johnseye said:

LOL, thanks Larry.

Since you've opened Pandora's box, I currently have an 8 bay Synology with internal SMPS.  This can be improved, which is why I was asking about the 12v.  I had no idea you could power a NAS with 12v, but it's a 2 bay array.  I'd probably only use it to store music for listening while I keep a backup copy on the Synology.

That said, is a 2 bay NAS feeding music over ethernet to the server, going to be better than a USB connected drive?  I have 8TB of music which will only grow, so that limits my options.

Probably. To my surprise the sound I get from Tidal through my sonic transporter i5 with Roon and an ultrarendu is far better than the one that comes from my HD connected through USB to the STi5...

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2018 at 5:02 PM, Hardinge said:

Hi all, and thanks @austinpop for the illuminating thread. I'm building my first proper system and, thanks mainly to this thread, am now vastly more focused on everything preceding my dac. My budget is mid-range at this point and I was hoping to get suggestions on a pre-dac-chain for <US$4,500. I had expected that a Zen MkII STD would be in that chain?? So that would leave US$2,000 for the rest, but what should that look like?

As background I play sub 24/192 flac and mqa through roon and currently feeding an oppo 205 as dac. Many thanks!

Have your Oppo 205 moded or buy an ultrarendu + an Sbooster. The sound of your system will probably improve a lot. At least it did in mine. I am currently using an i5 transporter + ultrarendu & Sbooster + an Oppo 205 as Dac. I am planning to buy a qutest and most probably to upgrade my Oppo (internal LPS + clock). Cheers. J.

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

11 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

what interface are you using for the Oppo-205?  is it USB?  if so, is there any isolation going into the 205?

Yes, it's USB and the ultrarendu provides all the isolation you need. I also use 2 TP links between the router and the i5. You can look at Audiostream for the scheme.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tapatrick said:

Yep, this is the next hot development.. Looking forward to the results. I have the original Aqvox switch and probably one of the best purchase Ive made, so much that I gave up on local files..

I also gave on local files stored in an USB hard disk. Not sure if I need to get a NAS to have the same SQ that I get from a switch. Any views? Tks.

• 1 month later...

Any availability dates? Tks

4 hours ago, romaz said:

If you're referring to SOtM's new switch, they are awaiting parts and so no official release date or price that I am aware of.  If you're referring to Uptone Audio's switch, I would like to know the answer to that one myself.

I was referring to the Uptone Audio's switch... 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Superdad said:

I am echoing Cooler's question with the above quotes:

Certainly your thoughts and impressions are allowed to evolve as you experiment. 9_9  But I am wondering if Roon is the real factor in what you are now hearing with server differences.  Wonder if you still feel the same if HQ Player NAA protocol was used.  

Would like to separate hardware versus software factors.  E.g.: With a good switch in the chain, does power supply of the server still matter for you?

Cheers,

--Alex C.

Any time soon the good switch? ?

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, austinpop said:

Peter, I think you've got that backward. Our nomenclature is:

• Endpoint that you call the Audio Playing PC
    • Runs the music player like Roon Bridge or squeezelite that:
      • connects to the DAC or DDC via USB
      • connects to the music server via Ethernet
  • Server, is that a Control PC in your world?
    • runs the music server (like Roon or LMS) that does
      • library management
      • serves music files from local storage or network storage
      • connects to endpoint over network.

Just to be clear, the NUC as an End Point is a sort of uR where the AL runs in memory? Sorry for ant misunderstanding.

10 hours ago, Cornan said:

*LOL* It’s complicated! It might be a good idea for @austinpop to update the facts on the index with universial names when these terms are crystal clear.

In my world you have these:

1. Control point= The control device that is controling the music and telling the server what to play.

2. Server= The manager that is receiving the info from the control point and distribute the music to the render. This can either contain or be connected to a harddrive of any kind (local files) or a router (Tidal/Qubuz/NAS etc) both through wires or wifi.

3. Render= The endpoint where the upnp/dnla data is translated into music and forward to DAC in digital format.

There is upnp/dnla and Openhome streaming. With Openhome (wich us upnp/dnla compliant) the playlist is stored at the control point. With upnp/dnla the playlist is stored at the server. IMO Openhome sounds better! ?

Thank you Guys. I am afraid I can't follow you ?

I guess someone will propose soon a device already set for dummies...

uR MkII? ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, valveboy said:

Hello, I'm new here so I hope it's OK to ask and on topic? If not(?) then just delete this please.

I was wondering if a NUC can be used to clone a Sonic Transporter at a more reasonable cost?

Thanks!

I am quite satisfied with the synergies between the STi5 and the uRendu. Why not consider a second hand STi5 ? Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 8:13 AM, dctom said:

Thanks for the feedback.

I have ordered a NUC7i7DNBE and Sean Jacobs 19v power supply.

Would you please share the model you ordered?

Tks,

Jorge

2 hours ago, dctom said:

Hi Jorge

After exchanging emails with Sean, to explore best alternatives, ordered the Dc3 with current boost and Mundorf caps. Four month waiting list!

Tks. But I was not aware that Sean was also selling NUC's.

Would you mind sending me the link and if possible the NUC's price?

Tks,

Jorge

2 hours ago, elan120 said:

If this just the board you are purchasing, inventory and supplier choice could be more limited.  Expend search to both NUC7i7DNKE and NUC7i7DNHE kits will yield more price and supplier.

Thank you Dave!!!

Kind regards,

Jorge

• 4 weeks later...

No words to describe the results from using REW for room correction. I am completely astonished how good the SQ became and this without manual correction of the results. Lot’s of room to improve... The Program is free (but consider donation) and you just need to buy a compatible mic. Give it a try. Cheers. Jorge

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, seatrope said:

Question for those who have had their NUC modded by SOTM:

I have experienced some occasional (1-2 times a day) loud hissing noise mixed in with music using Roon with the modified NUC and external REF10 master clock recently. I never heard this before NUC was modified, not sure if it could be from some problem with the NUC modification.

If I pause the music and hit play the noise keeps going. If I go back to beginning of the track and play, the noise goes away.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Obviously this could be related to any number of things included network issues, Roon glitches or DAC problems as well.

thanks!

If I may ask, are you using HQPlayer? And what DAC?

Confirmed. I use filters for HQP and Roon, both usb in with uRendu and OPPO.

On 5/11/2019 at 2:50 AM, happydance said:

Hardware for REW?

what hardware is required for laptop running windows 10/64?

REW website is a little confusing!

Do I just need a Mic. or other stuff as well?

Thanks!

I use a Umik and a mac.

Generated filters run on a Sonic Transporter i5.

• 2 months later...

Great review Rajiv!

Thank you!

Jorge

• 1 month later...

Hi folks!

Does anyone knows if I can use the Apacer memory on an Innous Zen mkIII?

Thank you,

Jorge

On 12/8/2019 at 11:58 AM, seeteeyou said:

My pleasure, most likely the same Apacer RAM should also work for ZENith Mk.II (SE) with Celeron J3455 as well as Statement with Celeron N4200. Pretty much all of us should have tried DDR4 ones before and that's why it would be great to find out if older DDR3 ones were just as good or otherwise.

Please don't forget to let us know how it's working out because other owners of Innuos music servers will most likely join the party, they won't be left out even though DDR4 SODIMM ain't supported by their motherboards.

Well, know that I saw the prices (250$) I will probably not try it after all, as to start I am not sure what will be the result... 😞

The link you provide with a lower price (https://www.rutronik24.com/product/apacer/75.c93e2.g040b/8434061.html) only sell to companies.

Is there a way to circumvent this limitation?

Thank you,

Jorge 

3 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Yes, this is what I'm waiting for.  Depending on how it gets reviewed.

Not sure if you're doing anymore DAC shootouts, but the new Holo May is about to be released.  I don't think you tried any R2R DACs but this one is supposed to be a next gen.

Any idea on the price and when it will be available? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2019 at 11:58 AM, seeteeyou said:

My pleasure, most likely the same Apacer RAM should also work for ZENith Mk.II (SE) with Celeron J3455 as well as Statement with Celeron N4200. Pretty much all of us should have tried DDR4 ones before and that's why it would be great to find out if older DDR3 ones were just as good or otherwise.

Please don't forget to let us know how it's working out because other owners of Innuos music servers will most likely join the party, they won't be left out even though DDR4 SODIMM ain't supported by their motherboards.

Following some scam advertisement from PriceBlaze (despite saying that APACER memory is available, they send you another brand - please see  https://www.priceblaze.com/75-c93e2-g040b-Apacer-Memory-Laptop-Memory), I finally managed to order from Slovakia the right one (I HOPE). It will arrive next week and I will be posting any SQ improvements from my Zen MKIII & Apacer. Cheers Jorge 

On 1/11/2020 at 11:48 AM, mourip said:

I would like to try some different memory in my Roon server. It is using an ASRock H87M-ITX board which uses DDR3 1600 un-buffered non-ECC UDIMM memory. I have read through as many posts here as possible and scoured the web for sources and information but have come up dry. It seems like folks like the Apacer high temp DDR4 memory but I have not been able to find a comparable DDR3 UDIMM.

So two questions. In searching for better sounding memory what parameters should I look for? The two that I have seen discussed are temperature and that 1R8 chip placement might be a positive factor. Any thing else?

The second question is: does anyone have a good source for DDR3 memory that would meet audio needs. I was able to get some Apacer DDR4 SODIMMs from a fellow ASer and this worked well in my NUC but I would still like to try some in my server and my other endpoint, both of which run the same ASRock system board.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

https://www.soselectronic.com/memory-modules?query=Apacer
Just ordered from them to use with my Zen MKIII. It will arrive next week.

cheers Jorge