IGNORED

New JRiver Listening Test

Hi Guys - JRiver recently released a cool feature. Here are the details.

"MC22.0.41 added a new Listening Test, a comparison feature available from the Tools > Library Tools Menu. It allows you to listen to different formats of the same track, rate them, and then find out how good you are at distinguishing them from each other.

Here is how it works.

1. Find an audio track in your library.

2. Select it and choose Listening Test from the Library Tools menu.

3. MC will then convert the track to several new temporary files whose names are A, B, C, etc. and automatically put them in Playing Now.

4. Play them as much as you want, rate them with MC's star ratings.

5. When you click done, the results will be displayed.

6. When you press OK on the results page, the temporary files will be deleted. Your original file is not affected in any way."

Source - https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107924.0.html

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

An intriguing idea but, imho, just a novelty in its present form. The "different formats" are automatically selected by JRMC and, so far, are only MP3 downsamples. There has been a lot of beta team feedback urging more user control over format conversions and/or the ability to compare any user-selected files.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

An intriguing idea but, imho, just a novelty in its present form. The "different formats" are automatically selected by JRMC and, so far, are only MP3 downsamples. There has been a lot of beta team feedback urging more user control over format conversions and/or the ability to compare any user-selected files.

Ah yes. Fortunately they started somewhere and have room to improve. Let's hope they listen to the feedback and make some changes.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

+1 ... why would anyone want to compare mp3 versions of a file?

More relevant for me would be comparisons like 16/44.1 vs DSD128 vs PCM 32/384 etc

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Here's the place to post that message: Feature Requests

I can almost predict Jim's reply ... "can you hear the difference?"

From my interactions on there, I don't know if they have the expertise in house to implement filters. I could be wrong but they probably need a hired gun to put some of those features in place - someone with a background in filters and signal processing. Again based on their model, I suspect they will get to this only when a significant number of users request it. In their defense, the SQ improvement in v22 was pretty good but they seem to be more excited about home automation stuff with Engen and Panel.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

We added DSD for you, Kal. It's in build 48, on the MC22 board:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/board,50.0.html

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com