IGNORED

Troubled times = better music

49 Bye Byes (America's Children) Live, CSN&Y 4 Way Street

Masters of War, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

Chicago, Grahm Nash

Without Chris locking this post as political and keeping this thread on Topic, which is, hopefully, music. Do you think that we will get better music as a result of +10 years of war in the middle east and the recent election?

I like Taylor Swift and Maroon 5 as much as the next guy, but, come one we are not talkin' Rimbaud here!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Yes I do think so. Let's just hope that the mainstream is willing to accept it.

Very good point @blownsi, we may get some very interesting music, but without the military draft to focus the minds of young people, the music will not have the same impact.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

I don't think so. Popular music today has little if anything to do with the political climate like it did in the 60's - 70's. For every Rage Against The Machine and Green Day political song, there are 1000 manufactured hip-hop tracks that will take over the charts with songs about money, booty & booze.

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

I don't think so. Popular music today has little if anything to do with the political climate like it did in the 60's - 70's. For every Rage Against The Machine and Green Day political song, there are 1000 manufactured hip-hop tracks that will take over the charts with songs about money, booty & booze.

Not that there is anything wrong with Money, Booty and Booze.....it just the manufactured music I can't stand!

49 Bye Byes (America's Children) Live, CSN&Y 4 Way Street

Masters of War, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

Chicago, Grahm Nash

Without Chris locking this post as political and keeping this thread on Topic, which is, hopefully, music. Do you think that we will get better music as a result of +10 years of war in the middle east and the recent election?

Quote: Dwight David Eisenhower, circa 1960: "Beware of the military-industrial complex." Of course we have been at war almost constantly for the last 40 or so years. It gives the Generals a real game to play, with neat toys and it keeps war mongeries like BAE, Lockheed-Martin, Colt, and MacDonald-Douglas fat and happy!

George

well, this thread is really taking off...what did the Founders listen to while drafting a replacement for the Articles of Confederation?

Easy, the 1812 Overture.......no......wait!

(Constitutional Convention: May 1878)

Fortunately, when we regain control over the renegade Internet, posts like this will be "dissappeared" as they are no longer relevant in the newly great country will will all be living in.

God save us from the rebirth of Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and those other "complainers."

;) Some days humor is better than reality! Bring on a rebirth of Woodstock, the 60's, and all the great music that came with it!

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

I never understood all that optimism in 60s music. Maybe it was the drugs.

I have never been opposed to more optimism, more sex, and more rock and roll.

As for drugs, moderation is a good policy. YMMV.

I think protest more often than not results in more (and often better) art. Having been an actor and director for the stage during the Reagan years, I still feel that there was an explosion of irreverent brilliance in American playwrighting that has not been equaled since. The same thing happened in Eastern Europe during the 60's and 70's.