IGNORED

Article: Visiting Prince's Paisley Park

Very cool Chris. When my sister came into town this past summer, the only thing she wanted to do, was to go to Paisley Park and pay her respects. I was amazed how many people from other countries had already been there and put up there messages (graffiti) on the fences and the tunnel leading to the property. I, like yourself, just figured maybe someday I'll get out there.

It would be nice if they could do some sort of documentary on the place, kind of like Dave Grohl did with Sound City or Sonic Highways.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

One little nit to pick on your nice article. The motorcycles weren't converted to automatics. Though much about them was customized, they started life as Hondamatics. For a few years Honda made motorcycles with automatic transmissions. Those bikes had a torque converter and two speeds. You had to shift between first and second, but there was no clutch. They didn't sale very well and were dropped. Perhaps if they had been 4 speeds and fully automatic more would have sold. Though for myself, shifting gears is part of the fun.

Would be much better of course if Prince were still with us to ride those, to open those unopened CDs and vinyl, and perhaps make more music for us to enjoy.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

One little nit to pick on your nice article. The motorcycles weren't converted to automatics. Though much about them was customized, they started life as Hondamatics. For a few years Honda made motorcycles with automatic transmissions. Those bikes had a torque converter and two speeds. You had to shift between first and second, but there was no clutch. They didn't sale very well and were dropped. Perhaps if they had been 4 speeds and fully automatic more would have sold. Though for myself, shifting gears is part of the fun.

Would be much better of course if Prince were still with us to ride those, to open those unopened CDs and vinyl, and perhaps make more music for us to enjoy.

Thanks for the correction! The CA Community comes through again with more knowledge than I'll ever have :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, I always felt he was just a blatant ripping off Little Richards act with some modern licks. Sorry. :(

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

D. They died because no self respecting rider would ride a bike with an automatic. In the 70s it was bad enough to be on a rice burner let alone one with a auto. You'd get laughed out of the bar. LOL

They did make us a lot of money at the 1980's swap meets. We'd buy the junkers for a $100 or so, then the customers would pay $1 a swing to hit em with a 20lb sledge. Guys would be lined up all day for the Honda smash. :)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Chris, I always felt he was just a blatant ripping off Little Richards act with some modern licks. Sorry. :(

Many musicians point to Little Richard as the origin of rock / pop / you name it. Even Dave Grohl of Nirvana / Foo Fighters says LR was a major influence on him. However Prince doesn't say LR was a major influence (at least not on the wall of influence at Paisley Park where he had a mural of his influences.

I hope your not equating his small stature and flamboyant appearance with ripping LR off.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I hope your not equating his small stature and flamboyant appearance with ripping LR off.

Physical size, no, never really noticed any similarities?

"flamboyant appearance" LOL, I guess you could put it like that. But yes, it was his "act", the on and off stage persona. Liberace beat them both. ;)

lib8.jpg

D. They died because no self respecting rider would ride a bike with an automatic. In the 70s it was bad enough to be on a rice burner let alone one with a auto. You'd get laughed out of the bar. LOL

They did make us a lot of money at the 1980's swap meets. We'd buy the junkers for a $100 or so, then the customers would pay $1 a swing to hit em with a 20lb sledge. Guys would be lined up all day for the Honda smash. :)

Well Honda made a big splash in the US with the You meet the nicest people on a Honda ad campaign. Not out of character to see if some unserved group of potential riders were out there who didn't want to shift gears. They weren't only going after your basic biker. One of their experiments that didn't work out.

Never rode junkers in the 80's and the sledge hammer types couldn't keep up with rice burners. Not hard to see why they were sore about it. ;)

First motorcycle I rode was one of these in that same color. Foot clutch and tank shifter. The Electra Glides were a step forward over these.

1954-harley-davidson-fl-hydra-glide-1.jpg

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

The Electra Glides were a step forward over these.

Nice

That step was the inclusion of a electric starter for the lazy riders. LOL Hence the Duoglide became the ElectraGlide in 1965. First year of the button start and last year of the awesome & iconic Panhead engine.

1+Larry's-1965-Panhead.jpg