IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

22 hours ago, thyname said:

Got it. Thanks @tboooe !!

Can I do this today, or should I wait until I receive the microSD for the 2.5 uRendu software update?

Thank you for helping others with the firmware update process. Both the singxer driver and the holoaudio driver have DFU executables that will both effectively load the firmware to the SU1 with success. The holoaudio drivers would be found under programfiles/holoaudio/

But either way works

all instructions are included with the firmware files to which firmware is right for you.

Tim Connor

KitsuneHifi.com / HoloAudio USA

I just received my KTE SU-1 (sent it to Tim to have USB repaired, due to my rough handling, and had him upgrade the whole thing).  I hope to do a review on it once I get a feel for the sound after break in,. etc. 

Tim, feel free to comment here on what you upgraded, as I am less confident I can list them in order of significance.  :(  The upgrades use the existing internal power supply,  Note: I also ordered his kit and will likely compare once I am 100% familiar with this upgrade.

Stay tuned.

26 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

As far as I can tell, on the SU-1, the +5V coming in from internal LPS (or external supply via DC kit) runs directly to only two components on the board: the LD1086 regulator (generates +3.3V) and a small 5-pin chip located close to the WCLK input connector.  Many linear regulator ICs don't have reverse voltage protection so can burn out with the input voltage applied backwards.  It's pretty amazing to me that the SU-1 board can survive reversed DC voltage unscathed.  That little 5-pin chip (I don't know what it is) should probably be checked also.

The SMD 5-Pin is labeled "A253" at the top in a SOT-23-5 package.

I believe it's a single bus buffer gate with 3-state output.

Those chips accept 0.5-7V so makes sense.

How to locate

Datesheet

16 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

+1 for Metcal MX-500P soldering station.  Those STTC tips are awesome.  Like you, I won't use anything else for soldering.

I also use Metcal Talon tweezers.  With TATC-602 tweezers, it look about 5 seconds to unsolder that LD1086 regulator off the SU-1 board.

For through-hole work, I use a Hakko 808 vacuum desoldering gun.  It's so much quicker and gentler than a solder sucker.

I had to suck solder from each of the four corners for my oscillator in order to thin the pads so they won't rip off the traces when I brute forced the thing with a clipper breaking chunks here and there. Afterwards remove the leftover leads with the soldering iron :$. It wasn't easy for me. Soldering it was also pretty difficult. Had to tin the bottom gold plated areas, smooth the solder on those pads flat and then heat it enough so that it'll flow and bond to the oscillator. I think I'll invest in the tweezers if there are more projects like this.. In the mean time, I couldn't fathom spending hundreds for a single project. The desoldering gun however looks really interesting. It has a hole at the center to suck in solder from the eyelet while heating it up? That's incredible.

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  = 

When you're on a conference call, no one knows your disassembling an SU-1!  B|

Here's a few pix of my S1117 installation.  I'll apologize in advance for 2 things:  

(1) Crappy iPhone picture quality

(2) The fuzzy lint in some of the pix is from a cotton patch that I soaked with rubbing alcohol to remove rosin flux.  

Here's picture of the OEM voltage regulator.  Note the amount of "space" under the leads.  These are what you snip.  I have a "rework" station in my garage which includes a hot air gun.  I was able to easily heat up the chip and pop it off.

5B27E5DB-E004-4AAC-B93A-11AB1CB14EAF_zps

With the OEM regulator out of the way, we can see how much space we have to work with.

12207646-2F63-4531-A9EF-C948E7D1F462_zps

This isn't a very good pix, but you can see that I used a tiny pair of pliers to bend the two outer leads "backwards" towards the circuit board.  I bent the center lead in the opposite direction. 

677496F2-E7BA-4651-8023-063220D4FAA6_zps

Not my best soldering work, but this was kinda tricky.

DD55B505-4CF9-4C1D-9813-B1FF412004B7_zps

...and I didn't brick it!    

Special thanks to @Energy, @elan120 and @pkane2001 
Your pix and instructions helped make this mod pretty straight forward!  

Very good work @T-Bone !!!!! :)xD

The middle leg is a little far from the output pad but it shouldn't matter too much.

This is the sole reason why I included "make sure to solder the middle leg first" in my earlier steps and procedures. The solder on those pads are just "excess" and adds distance between the pin and the pure copper contact surface that is beneath.

While soldering, it is recommended to gently push downward on the regulator, as once the solder starts to flow, it becomes a possibility to minimize this undesired distance.

But it's all good! It's a little late now and I wouldn't recommend you redo it nor would i recommend you heating it up again and pushing down on it as this might rip the nearby INPUT and GND pads. Anyways, this is a digital circuit and those joints are just small pieces within the circuit so it shouldn't cause any problems nor would it degrade the sound quality.

Now please give me your impressions once you get to give it a listen! ;)

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  = 

Waaaaaah...I cant wait to get my board back with this mod.  Its going to be a long weekend without tunes.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Just now, Energy said:

plug USB into your DAC. :o

I was thinking about that but I want to try and "remember" how the SU-1 sounded prior to your awesome mod so I can compare.  Guess I will just make some DC cables this weekend!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

oh trust me, I didn't have to try at all. When I first booted up the SU-1 with the new SS1117 and played 2-3 songs, It was pretty obvious, but I get it. You just want to remember the current sound instead of inducing your mind with the USB and going in-between, getting it back and thinking "oh what a difference".

Yes, the LPS-1 eliminates the AC current issue and outputs clean power to the SU-1 but it was intensely choked by the LD1086. Getting that out of the way and feeding the majority of components on the clock board with 3µV of noise is sonically impressive right off the bat. At this point I really can't fathom things getting any better, but surprisingly it does over and over which is why I love this hobby. What are ceilings anyway?

I've only had the LPS-1 for a brief while before returning it to a friend so pretty darn excited for my own personal unit coming in with the ISO REGEN. Right now all I have are the mods I made for my SU-1, no LPS-1 or regenerators in the chain. I reckon things are going to become more blown up once those comes in to help with USB signal integrity and stop this AC leakage current charade from happening once and for all.

=  ︿  = 
44 minutes ago, Energy said:

oh trust me, I didn't have to try at all. When I first booted up the SU-1 with the new SS1117 and played 2-3 songs, It was pretty obvious,

you are not helping....now I really cant wait! :)

Other components:

2 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Good job, @T-Bone! Would love to hear your impressions. 

2 hours ago, Energy said:

oh trust me, I didn't have to try at all. When I first booted up the SU-1 with the new SS1117 and played 2-3 songs, It was pretty obvious, but I get it. 

I think my first impressions pretty much dovetail what @Energy said.  The difference was noticeable.

Ever since I sold my Intona in anticipation of the ISO Regen, I've been missing "something" in the vocals.

The LPS-1 made a big change in soundstage and especially in low-end response.  The new voltage regulator does more of the same.   

I don't have too much listening time in yet.  I'm really short on time, so I went straight to some of acoustic guitar favorites and female vocals.  I feel like I'm getting a little more air and increased separation.  The bottom end sounds nice and tight.  Things feel a little more lively for sure - but there's still a veil over the midrange and vocals.  I know exactly what I'm hearing, but find it hard to describe.  I need that my Intona replacing ISO Regen!

The new voltage regulator makes a difference but not anywhere near the "smack you in the face" change you get from the LPS upgrade.  For $47 and an hour of tinker time, I think it's a bargain!  I would recommend this change to anyone with the skills and cahones to tear into their SU-1.  

P.S. I have upgraded caps on the way too.  I hope I can discern a difference in the upgraded caps.  As cheap & as simple as caps are, why not?

21 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Now you have me wondering if I would hear more improvement with an LPS-1...o.O This really never ends, does it?

it's a bigger difference than the voltage regulator change. If you say 20%, it's about 30%.

=  ︿  = 
6 hours ago, Energy said:

The SMD 5-Pin is labeled "A253" at the top in a SOT-23-5 package.

I believe it's a single bus buffer gate with 3-state output.

Those chips accept 0.5-7V so makes sense.

How to locate

Datesheet

I had to suck solder from each of the four corners for my oscillator in order to thin the pads so they won't rip off the traces when I brute forced the thing with a clipper breaking chunks here and there. Afterwards remove the leftover leads with the soldering iron :$. It wasn't easy for me. Soldering it was also pretty difficult. Had to tin the bottom gold plated areas, smooth the solder on those pads flat and then heat it enough so that it'll flow and bond to the oscillator. I think I'll invest in the tweezers if there are more projects like this.. In the mean time, I couldn't fathom spending hundreds for a single project. The desoldering gun however looks really interesting. It has a hole at the center to suck in solder from the eyelet while heating it up? That's incredible.

I had practice at work desoldering & soldering 3.2x2.5 size oscillators for the past few months, so I got good at dealing with those tiny cans.  Desoldering was done with pre-tinned Metcal Talon tweezers.  Desoldering time is usually well within 10 seconds.  Replacement oscillator soldering was done with Metcal iron under a microscope with low magnification.  I applied a generous amount of liquid flux onto the pads.

Yes, the Hakko 808 has a hole at the center of its heated tip for the solder to get sucked through.  For through-hole parts, the gun melts the solder on the pad without transmitting too much heat to the part through its lead.  I used this desoldering gun to remove the electrolytic caps from the SU-1 board.

29 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Man, if I keep going, I'll be over 100% soon... It'll sound better than the original live event :)

That is true audiophile math right there!  

Other components:

11 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Now you have me wondering if I would hear more improvement with an LPS-1...o.O This really never ends, does it?

The LPS-1 will be a very big difference.  The new voltage regulator takes another step forward.  The LPS-1 is a tough act to follow!  

I'll give you an analogy from my days racing at club/track events.  When I started in motorsports, I was able to improve my lap times by 10+ seconds a lap easily.  As I moved into faster run groups, I didn't make such big improvements.  I knocked maybe 4 seconds off my lap times.  When I moved up to being an instructor I had to work very hard to make a 1 or 2 second improvement.  

The further up the chain you go, the smaller the improvements are.  It's not that they are less important.
Modifying audio gear is similar in that we are chasing smaller and smaller improvements.

When I first got the SU-1 I was very impressed with how much better it sounded than straight USB.  

I added the LPS and magic happened!  I swapped the voltage regulator and got a little more magic!  I've got a few caps on order and maybe I'll eek out just a little more magic.

22 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

The LPS-1 will be a very big difference.  The new voltage regulator takes another step forward.  The LPS-1 is a tough act to follow!  

All these mods are to improve the quality of DC supply.

Since I also have a somewhat improved DC source from iFi that claims 1uV noise, will replacing the iFi supply with LPS-1 make a big difference, considering I already have the Sparkos regulator? How much of a difference? 30%? 20%? 5%?  I guess only I can answer that, once I try it :)

Does anybody want to loan me an LPS-1 to try? ;)

6 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Since I also have a somewhat improved DC source from iFi that claims 1uV noise, will replacing the iFi supply with LPS-1 make a big difference, considering I already have the Sparkos regulator? 

I'll bet you'll hear an improvement over the iFi power supply, but I won't give you a points spread.  
(Guess who lives in Las Vegas?)

Uptone gives you 30 days to fall in love with their gear.  Try it for yourself and tell us what you hear.

12 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

All these mods are to improve the quality of DC supply.

Since I also have a somewhat improved DC source from iFi that claims 1uV noise, will replacing the iFi supply with LPS-1 make a big difference, considering I already have the Sparkos regulator? How much of a difference? 30%? 20%? 5%?  I guess only I can answer that, once I try it :)

Does anybody want to loan me an LPS-1 to try? ;)

First, big difference between SMPS (iFi iPower) and Linear Power Supplies (such as LPS-1) in general.

Also, read the article below, for a guy who switched from iFi iPower to LPS-1:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/uptone-audio-ultracap-lps-1#DqVOpVFq043bg95m.97

2 hours ago, thyname said:

First, big difference between SMPS (iFi iPower) and Linear Power Supplies (such as LPS-1) in general.

Also, read the article below, for a guy who switched from iFi iPower to LPS-1:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/uptone-audio-ultracap-lps-1#DqVOpVFq043bg95m.97

I like the casual mention on the Uptone Audio website that it may be even better to chain two LPS-1 in series. Maybe three will be even better? ;)

23 hours ago, T-Bone said:

When you're on a conference call, no one knows your disassembling an SU-1!  B|

Here's a few pix of my S1117 installation.  I'll apologize in advance for 2 things:  

(1) Crappy iPhone picture quality

(2) The fuzzy lint in some of the pix is from a cotton patch that I soaked with rubbing alcohol to remove rosin flux.  

Here's picture of the OEM voltage regulator.  Note the amount of "space" under the leads.  These are what you snip.  I have a "rework" station in my garage which includes a hot air gun.  I was able to easily heat up the chip and pop it off.

5B27E5DB-E004-4AAC-B93A-11AB1CB14EAF_zps

With the OEM regulator out of the way, we can see how much space we have to work with.

12207646-2F63-4531-A9EF-C948E7D1F462_zps

This isn't a very good pix, but you can see that I used a tiny pair of pliers to bend the two outer leads "backwards" towards the circuit board.  I bent the center lead in the opposite direction. 

677496F2-E7BA-4651-8023-063220D4FAA6_zps

Not my best soldering work, but this was kinda tricky.

DD55B505-4CF9-4C1D-9813-B1FF412004B7_zps

...and I didn't brick it!    

Special thanks to @Energy, @elan120 and @pkane2001 
Your pix and instructions helped make this mod pretty straight forward!  

YES! My wife thinks I'm nuts that I've been taking all my meetings / conf. calls at my workbench! :ph34r: