IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

21 minutes ago, thyname said:

What about people who use a microrendu (w/ Roon), Singxer SU-1, and Holo Spring KTE? No computer (in the traditional sense) involved.

According to the information on Kitsune site it should just work for you.  You need microRendu 2.5 update and SU-1 v2.2x firmware to enable native DSD512 without the DSD pop problem.

1 hour ago, Altabay said:

According to the information on Kitsune site it should just work for you.  You need microRendu 2.5 update and SU-1 v2.2x firmware to enable native DSD512 without the DSD pop problem.

Thanks! I ordered the uRendu software udpate for the 2.5 micro SD this weekend, and should arrive soon.

As far as the SU-1 firmware is concerned:

1 - How do I find what the current firmware update on my SU-1 is? I don't have it hooked up to a computer, just to the uRendu.

2 - How do I update the firmware on SU-1? I remember this was posted somewhere, but can't find it.

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, thyname said:

1 - How do I find what the current firmware update on my SU-1 is? I don't have it hooked up to a computer, just to the uRendu.

2 - How do I update the firmware on SU-1? I remember this was posted somewhere, but can't find it.

There is a firmware update exe installed when you install the SU-1 USB driver.  You need to be connected to a PC.  Upgrading the firmware is literally a 1 min process.  Check out the documentation on the Kitsune website.  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Just now, tboooe said:

There is a firmware update exe installed when you install the SU-1 USB driver.  You need to be connected to a PC.  Upgrading the firmware is literally a 1 min process.  Check out the documentation on the Kitsune website.  

The issue is I bought the Singxer SU-1 directly from a Chinese seller on eBay. From Kitsune website:

NEW 2017 firmware (2.22 and 2.20) for DSD512 native is for customers only and by email request only. This will support the newest OS for Sonore Urendu @ full dsd512 native!

1.only for Singxer SU-1,support DSD512 in native.
2.Do not upgrade any other XMOS device,including SINGXER other XMOS device.
3.V2.20 update for V2.00; (for holo audio, Audio-GD, L.K.S.)
V2.22 update for V2.02. (for PSAUDIO, Gustard, )
This will allow DSD512 only with some versions of linux, or newest OS on the Sonore Microrendu
and with Windows and HoloAudio Spring signed drivers installed. NOT singxer drivers (these only support DSD256 over DOP)

I am really confused now...

6 minutes ago, thyname said:

he issue is I bought the Singxer SU-1 directly from a Chinese seller on eBay

ahhh....not sure what you can do then since Tim has been very clear that this firmware is only for his customers.  Perhaps he would be willing to sell it to you if you offer to pay?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Just now, tboooe said:

ahhh....not sure what you can do then since Tim has been very clear that this firmware is only for his customers.  Perhaps he would be willing to sell it to you if you offer to pay?

Sure I can do that.

I visited the Shenzhen Audio website, and they don't mention anything there about the 2.20 firmware.

Just now, bluesaint said:

If you've bought other things from him in the past such as Holo spring then that counts too.

I bought the Holo Spring KTE from another guy used, but Tim was able to insert my name on it for his records.

The only other thing I bought from him is the Singxer SU-1 DC conversion kit, which should arrive today. Would that count?

18 minutes ago, thyname said:

I bought the Holo Spring KTE from another guy used, but Tim was able to insert my name on it for his records.

The only other thing I bought from him is the Singxer SU-1 DC conversion kit, which should arrive today. Would that count?

That definitely should count, but you'll need to email Tim to confirm and get the firmware either way :)

4 hours ago, thyname said:

What about people who use a microrendu (w/ Roon), Singxer SU-1, and Holo Spring KTE? No computer (in the traditional sense) involved.

SU-1 needs to be firmware updated, and microRendu needs to be at 2.5 OS (SU-1 certification is in 2.5, not in 2.3).

8 hours ago, scan80269 said:

You've also proven that the SU-1 with Spring USB driver can support DACs (with I2S input) other than the Spring itself, so the Spring USB driver is not just for the Spring DAC only.

Although somewhat coincidental (and same XMOS board) this driver may not work that way with too many dacs, especially non-XMOS ones.

2 hours ago, thyname said:

Update: Tim (of Kitsune) was kind enough to email me the SU-1 firmware update file.

Very nice of him! I just installed 2.22 firmware on SU-1 and it works, and works well. Awesome!

In an abundance of caution I uninstall the Holo Spring driver first, re-installed SU-1 XMOS driver, then flashed new firmware per provided instructions (that was quick and easy!) 

I then uninstalled SU-1 driver, and re-installed Holo driver. Fired up HQPlayer, and a wonderful sound comes out at full native DSD512. 

1 minute ago, pkane2001 said:

I then uninstalled SU-1 driver, and re-installed Holo driver. Fired up HQPlayer, and a wonderful sound comes out at full native DSD512. 

Yeah this is great but now I have to consider upgrading my CPU!  Doing DSD512 causes my old i7-3770s cpu to reach 70-80% utilization.  For PCM this is ok I suppose but converting DSD to DSD512 causes some occasional hiccups.  Things are made worse because I do 2 channel convolution.  Man it never ends in this hobby!

Other components:

Just to make it clear:

1 - I download the file Tim sent on my PC

2 - Connect same PC via USB cable to the SU-1 USB input

3 - Then what?

It is a bit confusing for me, since I don't use a computer hooked up to the SU-1. My computer is running Roon Core remotely, then microRendu is acting as a Roon endpoint / network player hooked up to the SU-1 via USB.

@thyname you need to install the USB driver for the SU-1.  Once you do that, go the XMOS folder and there is an executable that will allow you to upgrade the firmware.  Read the instructions on Tim's website for exact directions.

Other components:

Just now, tboooe said:

@thyname you need to install the USB driver for the SU-1.  Once you do that, go the XMOS folder and there is an executable that will allow you to upgrade the firmware.  Read the instructions on Tim's website for exact directions.

So the driver for the SU-1 is a separate file from the firmware file that Tim just emailed me today? 

Just now, thyname said:

So the driver for the SU-1 is a separate file from the firmware file that Tim just emailed me today? 

Correct.  First download and install the USB driver for the SU-1.

https://kitsunehifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Singxer-English-USB-Driver-Kitsune-v3.34.0.zip

Once you install it, go to your Program Files on your hard drive, and look for the XMOS folder.  In that folder go to the folder USBAudioStDriver_3086.  From that folder run the exe "xmosusbaudiost3086_dfuapp.exe".  Once you run that, the application will ask you for the location of the firmware upgrade file.  That is the file Tim sent you.  Save that somewhere on your PC and select that.

Other components:

Just now, tboooe said:

Correct.  First download and install the USB driver for the SU-1.

https://kitsunehifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Singxer-English-USB-Driver-Kitsune-v3.34.0.zip

Once you install it, go to your Program Files on your hard drive, and look for the XMOS folder.  In that folder go to the folder USBAudioStDriver_3086.  From that folder run the exe "xmosusbaudiost3086_dfuapp.exe".  Once you run that, the application will ask you for the location of the firmware upgrade file.  That is the file Tim sent you.  Save that somewhere on your PC and select that.

Got it. Thanks @tboooe !!

Can I do this today, or should I wait until I receive the microSD for the 2.5 uRendu software update?

2 minutes ago, thyname said:

Got it. Thanks @tboooe !!

Can I do this today, or should I wait until I receive the microSD for the 2.5 uRendu software update?

Do it today but of course you wont get native DSD until you upgrade to 2.5.  Until then you can continue to do DoP.

Other components:

1 minute ago, tboooe said:

Do it today but of course you wont get native DSD until you upgrade to 2.5.  Until then you can continue to do DoP.

Thanks! Wish me luck. I would be replacing the SU-1 power supply with LPS-1 today too. The KTE DC conversion kit shows "delivered" in the USPS tracking system.

6 minutes ago, thyname said:

do I really have to buy that Win Rar license for $30?

You never have to buy it. Use Winzip if Winrar isn't working well for you.

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  =