IGNORED

Roon Server running on QNAP NAS

I don't follow guys. I have a Qnap NAS which is below the recommended specs playing 24/192 music fine, with an average 2% CPU usage.

Never had a drop-out or a stutter. And I move pretty quickly around the app with album and track changes, trying to make it crash or stutter but it won't - very stable etc.

I wish I had a solution to the earlier persons problems. It looks like a network issue but I'm not an expert. I just have my NAS plugged into a wireless bridge.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone help me out here on the setup on the QNAP?

I have setup RoonServer on an ext SSD labelled and formatted RoonServer

I have loaded Roon Server onto the SSD as per the instructions via QNAP app center. I knoow the Server is on the external disc because I have checked via the QNAP

I have put in the music share paths which have been accepted as true "valid" paths by Roon OSX but I am getting the message "the drive containing this media is not available or the folder has been deleted" and the library is consequently not being loaded

All these shares are available with other services like SMB and DLNA servers (I use asset and Minimserver and can be streamed to players like myHeos, Kodi, Linn direct etc etc...

What gives here?

Do all music folders have to be subfolders of a shared folder on the disc volume labelled "RoonServer"?

Thanks

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Can someone help me out here on the setup on the QNAP?

I have setup RoonServer on an ext SSD labelled and formatted RoonServer

I have loaded Roon Server onto the SSD as per the instructions via QNAP app center. I knoow the Server is on the external disc because I have checked via the QNAP

I have put in the music share paths which have been accepted as true "valid" paths by Roon OSX but I am getting the message "the drive containing this media is not available or the folder has been deleted" and the library is consequently not being loaded

All these shares are available with other services like SMB and DLNA servers (I use asset and Minimserver and can be streamed to players like myHeos, Kodi, Linn direct etc etc...

What gives here?

Do all music folders have to be subfolders of a shared folder on the disc volume labelled "RoonServer"?

Thanks

I'm struggling to work out where it's gone wrong. Hope someone else can jump in.

Failing that, if you want expert advice from the guy (Chris) who created the Roon for QNAP and Synology app, post your query here: https://community.roonlabs.com/c/linux/qnap-synology

I've asked a couple question and the main man responds. Great support.

Are your music folders stored under a folder labelled "RoonServer" or can the path be anywhere on the main volume?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

roon on the NAS just needs the folder "RoonServer" for its own data (info, cover etc.). Best place is a SSD in your NAS for better spped of the library. a small one ist enough.

your music can be elsewhere on the NAS, you can tell roon the folder in its settings. (/volume1/music for example)

roon ROCK on a NUC Dawsoncanyon

ELAC DDP-2 as roon endpoint and Preamp (also for analog devices, TV, Omtec turntable amp for my Thorens TD2001)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre with ADAM Artist5 at PC setup

Grado GH-1 Headphone

Are your music folders stored under a folder labelled "RoonServer" or can the path be anywhere on the main volume?

No your music doesn't need to be in the folder which you created called 'RoonSooner'.

The RoonServer folder needs to be on the SSD but the music can be on a HDD. If your music is under the RoonServer folder too maybe that's causing issues.

Also did you add the network path using 'Add local folder' in Roon, or an smb path?

I created a separate share folder called NASMUSIC which has all my music in it, and which isn't in the RoonServer folder.

The network path I entered into Roon App (on my phone) is: /share/NASMUSIC

But both folders are on the same volume - not external USB drive for me.

No your music doesn't need to be in the folder which you created called 'RoonSooner'.

The RoonServer folder needs to be on the SSD but the music can be on a HDD. If your music is under the RoonServer folder too maybe that's causing issues.

Also did you add the network path using 'Add local folder' in Roon, or an smb path?

Yep. I did that..(via Add local folder) like I said, the path was accepted as "valid", but Roon won't scan the share...

I have Roon server on the external SSD and the music folders on the HDD main volume...

I've posted the q on their forum...Cheers

I really hope I can get this working.. I like what I see (using Tidal)...

I really like the lyrics pop up..and it flows onto the next song.. I luv that!

Nice clean software GUI on OSX... and Nice clean iOS app ! bring on the Spotify Connect integration..

Bye Bye Sonos..

I really hope I can get this working.. I like what I see (using Tidal)...

I really like the lyrics pop up..and it flows onto the next song.. I luv that!

Nice clean software GUI on OSX... and Nice clean iOS app ! bring on the Spotify Connect integration..

Bye Bye Sonos..

Agreed! Let us know how you go.

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

Yep. super cool interface and GUI, But why just Airplay (to non Roon Ready endpoints)? Can't it stream as a DLNA server?And using this version of Roon Server... the only Focus options are Countries, Genre and Performer types? I can see no "format" option??

Edit. Found format. Format is not an option of focus under Artists LOL

Yep. super cool interface and GUI, But why just Airplay (to non Roon Ready endpoints)? Can't it stream as a DLNA server?And using this version of Roon Server... the only Focus options are Countries, Genre and Performer types? I can see no "format" option??

Roon does not support DLNA. They have stated it is not a preferred protocol for quality audio.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

That doesn't make any sense at all to me.. the file is the file..... streaming of up to to 24/192 and DSD is built into Heos, The Oppo, and several receivers right now.. et etc..

That doesn't make any sense at all to me.. the file is the file..... streaming of up to to 24/192 and DSD is built into Heos, The Oppo, and several receivers right now.. et etc..

They use their own 'RAAT' protocol though. Kind of like their version of Airplay but better with hi-res support: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/whats-the-difference-raat-vs-airplay/6891/5

Did they get back to you on the Roon Forum that I linked above? Everything working now?

Hey @Em2016 .. wondering if you've seen this on the Bluesound Forum?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29897[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29896[/ATTACH]

I did after I sadly parted with my Node 2 (because of Roon). This is such a massive bonus for all Node owners for sure. I never saw it coming to be honest even though I saw many asking on the Bluesound forum since last year.

I did after I sadly parted with my Node 2 (because of Roon). This is such a massive bonus for all Node owners for sure. I never saw it coming to be honest even though I saw many asking on the Bluesound forum since last year.

You are not alone for sure. I don't think anyone thought it would happen .. I certainly didn't. Perhaps, given their lineage, they do actually care about crazy audiophiles!

You are not alone for sure. I don't think anyone thought it would happen .. I certainly didn't. Perhaps, given their lineage, they do actually care about crazy audiophiles!

Lol indeed. You should be extremely happy. We all thought they would be trying to build their BluOS to compete. BluOS is a great free option but wait till you try Roon later !

Lol indeed. You should be extremely happy. We all thought they would be trying to build their BluOS to compete. BluOS is a great free option but wait till you try Roon later !

I took Roon for a spin a while back, maybe a year ago (maybe less). Yes, a happy development. I love my Node 2. I seriously contemplated going down the same NAS road you've taken but decided on the Bluesound platform and nixed the Roon idea. Now I can have both :).

I took Roon for a spin a while back, maybe a year ago (maybe less). Yes, a happy development. I love my Node 2. I seriously contemplated going down the same NAS road you've taken but decided on the Bluesound platform and nixed the Roon idea. Now I can have both :).

Wish that Roon would try and work with the Melco NAS's, but I don't ever see it happening. I have decided to go for the better sound of the Melco over ease of the Roon (which I'd give them 500 right now if it worked with Melco). I have a feeling that Roon will put pressure on other designers to upgrade their interfaces so that they don't make those of us who use their products feel like we are lacking a great interface. Hoping that can happen quicker than it seems to be happening. Aurender and Meridian seem to be on that track.

Wow Bluesound and roon = Huge. And yes. Em. I go it working w :)