IGNORED

Roon Server running on QNAP NAS

Roon runs on a spinning disc (a few WD red 4TB, Raid5), not on a SSD, but i want to try that in the future cause i have free slots in my NAS. With the roon folder on SSD it could be a little quicker maybe.

My endpoint is a Auralic Aries, NAS is connected over ethernet with my Router (Fritzbox), Aries per WiFi. Aries goes with Usb to a Vega Dac. (look at signature)

Works fine.

roon ROCK on a NUC Dawsoncanyon

ELAC DDP-2 as roon endpoint and Preamp (also for analog devices, TV, Omtec turntable amp for my Thorens TD2001)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre with ADAM Artist5 at PC setup

Grado GH-1 Headphone

Roon runs on a spinning disc (a few WD red 4TB, Raid5), not on a SSD, but i want to try that in the future cause i have free slots in my NAS. With the roon folder on SSD it could be a little quicker maybe.

My endpoint is a Auralic Aries, NAS is connected over ethernet with my Router (Fritzbox), Aries per WiFi. Aries goes with Usb to a Vega Dac. (look at signature)

Works fine.

Nice!

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

Works fine.

FYI i just bought a Sandisk SSD USB thumb drive rather than using a HD slot in my Synology and it works just great and was cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

Give it a crack

Ok. I will! LOL

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

FYI i just bought a Sandisk SSD USB thumb drive rather than using a HD slot in my Synology and it works just great and was cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey that's a great idea.. that USB3.0?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Ok. I will! LOL

LOL. The UI will blow your socks off. I thought I was fine with other things like minimserver, Music Station, even mRendu and Bluesound Node 2. I didn't think I needed more than the Node's UI to be honest until I tried Roon just two days ago. I can't go back now.

hey that's a great idea.. that USB3.0?

Before you buy anything though, see if you can get away with just your current HDDs... try it. I don't want anyone spending money during the trial period - only if you're happy then afterwards you can spend spend spend.

Works fine.

Thanks. I have tried Roon via USB to Altair and to OPPO and I have tried Roon via ethernet to Altair. I still get drop-outs, even though my resource utilization is nowhere near critical. Right now, pushing Roon to Altair over ethernet, I am at 53% CPU and 68-69% RAM. RAATserver is 'sleeping' on the NAS. Is that normal when pushing Roon audio to a RAAT Audio device?

in this moment a new roon built is available for download (1.2 built 161 for Synology and Control Device)

Try this, maybe your problems are gone.

Or try to deactivate all not needed apps in your NAS (MinimServer etc)

ELAC DDP-2 as roon endpoint and Preamp (also for analog devices, TV, Omtec turntable amp for my Thorens TD2001)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

Grado GH-1 Headphone

Roon really needs to run on an SSD to work its best. It takes a lot for the program to run and sound it's best. Even for entry Hindi, there is a ton of noise coming from any NAS. There is an inexpensive fix using fiber optic converters to lower it greatly. Yes you will most probably hear the difference and the components are returnable if you don't like them if ordered on Amazon Prime. Michael Lavorgna has a set up article on it and there are many threads on this awesome forum covering this easy set up. Digital is a strange puppy since what works in one system may not work on another.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I do not believe in this noise hype with simple answers, like "SSD sounds better cause less moving parts in it" etc..

My NAS makes the same "noise" over ethernet exit with SSD or HDD. It is connected to my router and sends ones and zeros, the router switch the data to WiFi ones and zeros. What effect should a fiber optic converter have to my router?

as said before, i don`t believe in this SSD hype (and do not need a expensive melco or audio ethernetcable for 500bucks with a lan Isolator standing on a wood-base :-) )

I will order a SSD for my NAS soon cause the speed of handling roon maybe better. Noise is not my problem at a NAS.

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

Grado GH-1 Headphone

Did all of that. There are no applications running on the Synology. Minimserver, DS Audiostation, BubbleUPnP are all stopped/disabled. The Roon app / Roon build have been updated. Still get the dropouts just like before. 51% cpu, 43% memory, so plenty of resources left. Very puzzling and annoying and looking for other ideas...

Noise is a huge consideration even if you don't want to believe it. Yes you do need a way to take it out of the line. I'm glad you have no need for a Melco or anything else other than a NAS. Save the money and enjoy more music. As for SSD, if you really read what I said you would notice that even the folks at Roon feel strongly that you run Roon off an SSD. I made no statement about the sound quality between the two drives as it doesn't matter nearly as much as implementing it. Melco actually maximizes their HHD's by running them slower and isolating everything. In MY system there is a good size difference between their upper line and lower line units. Non audiophiles can here it quickly. Connecting via Ethernet vs USB makes a difference also. Enjoy your extra music.

Hi guys, just continuing from my OP (and trying to avoid WW3 on this thread lol) - this past week in addition to trying Roon Server on my NAS , I tried other free methods of playback direct to the USB input of my amp but the experiences were crap. When my 2 week free trial is up I am definitely going ahead with a Roon 1 year membership. I'm formatting my NAS at the moment just to clean up all the other files/processes that might have been left behind from experimenting with other free options. Looking forward to enjoying the music with my simple system chain: NAS > Integrated amp with USB input (with iFi USB reclocker) > Speakers !

Hope this helps to get someone else to try this.

Sounds like a good way to go. Wasn't trying to start anything. The biggest thing I've found is that when using digital everything interacts differently. Much more so than straight analog. What works best for you may not be best for someone else as their DAC or NAS or widget used to filter will interact differently. That's why I love reading everyone's experiences and what they are using regardless of the cost of their components. Ha is for sharing as I'm interested in Roon but have decided to go with the Melco that doesn't work with it. Maybe Roon will work on that but I highly doubt it. Personally I'd only pay yearly as there is bound to be something else in a year to three that could be better and comparable etc. it's digital after all.

Sounds like a good way to go. Wasn't trying to start anything. The biggest thing I've found is that when using digital everything interacts differently. Much more so than straight analog. What works best for you may not be best for someone else as their DAC or NAS or widget used to filter will interact differently. That's why I love reading everyone's experiences and what they are using regardless of the cost of their components. Ha is for sharing as I'm interested in Roon but have decided to go with the Melco that doesn't work with it. Maybe Roon will work on that but I highly doubt it. Personally I'd only pay yearly as there is bound to be something else in a year to three that could be better and comparable etc. it's digital after all.

All good mate. I personally didn't want to believe something like an iFi USB reclocker would do anything but for a system chain like mine I highly recommend it, or the Wyred 4 Sound Recovery. So I had quite a negative attitude towards it but when I listened I was quite impressed. I was one of those 'bits is just bits' people but only after trialling it can I say there's more to it. Electrical noise is another one but anyway I'm sure there's another thread (or thousand) that discusses all this but I don't want to go off topic too much lol. I think it's good to have a constructive conversation with the ultimate aim of actually demo-ing these things in your system. Amazon is great for this as mentioned earlier by someone else. Once you have something in your system to try out, then nobody else's opinion or reviews matters - it just comes down to your own two ears :-)

Thanks to you for sharing and all others too. I hadn't heard about Melco but will read up about it now that you've mentioned it.

Fully agree - this is a very fast changing area. Hold onto your pants and enjoy the music in the mean time

in this moment a new roon built is available for download (1.2 built 161 for Synology and Control Device)

Try this, maybe your problems are gone.

Or try to deactivate all not needed apps in your NAS (MinimServer etc)

Did all of that. There are no applications running on the Synology. Minimserver, DS Audiostation, BubbleUPnP are all stopped/disabled. The Roon app / Roon build have been updated. Still get the dropouts just like before. 51% cpu, 43% memory, so plenty of resources left. Very puzzling and annoying and looking for other ideas...

my CPU goes up to max 30% and memory to 36% with my dual-atom 2.13GHz, 4GB ram by playing an album in roon.

Your Syno seems not to be underpowered, maybe you should check your router configurations and network.

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

Grado GH-1 Headphone

my CPU goes up to max 30% and memory to 36% with my dual-atom 2.13GHz, 4GB ram by playing an album in roon.

Your Syno seems not to be underpowered, maybe you should check your router configurations and network.

I am totally open to that, but not sure what I can do there. The Synology is connected with 2 out of a possible 4 ethernet cables to a Gigabit switch (not a router). The Altair is connected via ethernet to that same switch. The connection couldn't be more direct unless I ran a cable from the NAS to the Altair without the switch. Not sure what that would do the network and the devices' IP addresses etc...

Another thing to try, is to either only use 1 ethernet from NAS to switch (no 'confusion' of traffic), OR do the opposite and run all 4 ports from NAS to switch. Anyone have an opinion?

If your router has ethernetports too, i would test this way without the switch. The network traffic runs over the router. I have a switch at my router too, but NAS and Aries (Wifi) are just connected to the router, so it has not to pass the switch twice.

Would try Wifi with the Altair too, if the distance is not to far from your router. Sound is the same as with the cable.

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

Grado GH-1 Headphone

If your router has ethernetports too, i would test this way without the switch. The network traffic runs over the router. I have a switch at my router too, but NAS and Aries (Wifi) are just connected to the router, so it has not to pass the switch twice.

Would try Wifi with the Altair too, if the distance is not to far from your router. Sound is the same as with the cable.

My Router is two floors away. The switch is in th eroom with all the equipment (NAS, Altair, wifi, ...). All the network connectivity is conducted in one room via the switch. The switch is connected to a Powerlan (which also serves as a wifi extender), which connects to the router.

The router's ONLY function, is to connect the powerlan to the outside world.

normaly the router is routing all network traffic to the IP adresses, not a switch, so everything goes the way over your power lan and router from NAS to Altair.

Or can your switch manage that? (i have no "managed" switch, maybe you have such a thing and it works without the router.) If it works without your router on, you are right ;-)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

Grado GH-1 Headphone

There is only one problem.

Cost.

I guess you get what you pay for?

I am not going to pay $100 plus per year for something with so few end points.....

but the "problem" here is how to use roon with a Qnap NAS ;-)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

Grado GH-1 Headphone