IGNORED

Repairing scratched CD

I have a couple CDs that look absolutely perfect but won't rip or play correctly. No player, no ripping software no nothing! It can happen.

I also have had a couple discs that XLD on Mac, dBp and EAC on Win wouldn't rip, and iTunes ripped them without noticeable issues. Probably not bit perfect, but no major glitches. Did you try iTunes for that one track?

I did, Solstice380.

No luck unfortunately.

Joel

I'm using an LX 16X internal Bluray drive in my desktop PC, alfe.

Should I consider trying something else?

Thanks a lot.

Joel

I was suspecting that you where using a high speed BR drive, and that's the usual spherical aberrations issues with shorter pits and land.

Try a CD/DVD drive, preferably a CD drive but not easy to find.

Did you guys tried the CD ripper software from Yuri, the presentation is a mess, but I did tests of discs with radial deviations problems,scratch...clearly awful stuff and I was impressed by the results, great job Yuri you understood that there is enough informations on the disc to make a perfect copy.

It is pretty rare for there to be an issue with the Mobile Fidelity 24kt gold discs but on discs which dbPoweramp will not rip correctly I usually find that EAC does work.... I normally use soap and water for cleaning problem discs, usually works.

Cheers

Paul

Stereo Source: Auralic Aries + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

Surround Source: Windows PC

Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s, Anthem D2v

Speakers: ATC SCM50A (L/R/C), C4 (Sub), SCM20-2A (LR,RR)

For my birthday I received a Mobile Fidelity version of Who's Next . . . absolutely the best version I've ever heard, including SACD.

Having said that, every track ripped perfectly except for the very last track. The last track simply won't play without bad interruptions, skips, etc.

There are a couple of tiny/light scratches close to the perimeter of the disc that I'm guessing are the offending parts of the disc.

I have the option to return the disc but I don't want to . . . unless I can't repair the last track.

Does anyone have a very reliable method for remedying a situation like mine?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joel

Hi Joel,

Read my article about our ripping method Safe Audio CD Ripping Technology

I suppose 100% safe ripping technology don't exists. But complex statistial processing of several streams from CD with buffering eliminating can give result enough to original for damaged CD.

Seriously scratched CDs (like some of our test CDs) almost non-recoverable.

If ripped file contains short damaged places sometimes possibly manually correct it in audio editing software.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

I was suspecting that you where using a high speed BR drive, and that's the usual spherical aberrations issues with shorter pits and land.

Try a CD/DVD drive, preferably a CD drive but not easy to find.

Thanks for the suggestion, alfe.

I don't know what I'll be able to find, but I'll look.

Joel

Hi Joel,

I suppose 100% safe ripping technology don't exists. But complex statistial processing of several streams from CD with buffering eliminating can give result enough to original for damaged CD.

If ripped file contains short damaged places sometimes possibly manually correct it in audio editing software.

I'll read it, Yuri.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Joel

Hi Joel,

Hi Yuri,

Few things that can be improved but as I said before congratulation, it's the best ripping software (OSX version) I've tested until now.

Hi Yuri,

Few things that can be improved but as I said before congratulations it's the best ripping software I've tested until now.

Thank you, Alfe.

Current Mac’s algorithm that described in the article above we plan to apply in Windows version too. It planned in this year.

Of course, ripper will improved in the future. I have ideas as about safety (of ripping) improving, as about functional expanding.

As rule increasing of a safety lead to slower reading due larger source data for statistical processing.

However, I suppose, there may be some threshold of the source data size that reasonable for real safety.

Joel,

While our demo can't batch processing for checking all tracks recovering ability.

But next release demo planned with batch processing all tracks (CD, ISO, etc.) with traditional 2 second pauses in the middle of tracks (second and subsequential, for DSF/ISO/DFF formats since 1 track as before).

This idea appear due impossibility to check the software by first track only in CD/ISO cases.

I'm interesting such tests.

If you will have time, will great to know the result of ripping of the CD (mentioned in the first post of the thread) via future AuI's demo.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Well everyone, someone was nice enough to send me a copy of the actual track I was missing and someone else sent me a track from the same album but with different mastering..

It was worth reaching out to everyone and finally getting the track. It sounds great.

Thanks to all of you for chipping in to try to help me out.

It's nice to know that when one crazy audiophile is in need, there's an international group of crazy audiophiles to help him out.

You guys are great.

Joel

Well everyone, someone was nice enough to send me a copy of the actual track I was missing and someone else sent me a track from the same album but with different mastering..

It was worth reaching out to everyone and finally getting the track. It sounds great.

Thanks to all of you for chipping in to try to help me out.

It's nice to know that when one crazy audiophile is in need, there's an international group of crazy audiophiles to help him out.

You guys are great.

Joel

Well since you never tried any of the offered solutions you might ask yourself this question.

Is your getting a copy of the track from someone else a copyright violation or not? ;)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.