IGNORED

Repairing scratched CD

For my birthday I received a Mobile Fidelity version of Who's Next . . . absolutely the best version I've ever heard, including SACD.

Having said that, every track ripped perfectly except for the very last track. The last track simply won't play without bad interruptions, skips, etc.

There are a couple of tiny/light scratches close to the perimeter of the disc that I'm guessing are the offending parts of the disc.

I have the option to return the disc but I don't want to . . . unless I can't repair the last track.

Does anyone have a very reliable method for remedying a situation like mine?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joel

For my birthday I received a Mobile Fidelity version of Who's Next . . . absolutely the best version I've ever heard, including SACD.

Having said that, every track ripped perfectly except for the very last track. The last track simply won't play without bad interruptions, skips, etc.

There are a couple of tiny/light scratches close to the perimeter of the disc that I'm guessing are the offending parts of the disc.

I have the option to return the disc but I don't want to . . . unless I can't repair the last track.

Joel

I've done some research, and the methods I've found, both machines available for purchase and "home grown" methods like using toothpaste, seem to be somewhat hit and miss. So it depends on how instant you want your gratification (a completely playable disc). I don't know whether the disc would be accepted for refund if you tried repairing it yourself, since all of these methods other than simply cleaning the CD involve polishing with something mildly abrasive like toothpaste.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

How old is the disc? When ripping CDs that are 15+ years old, I've had more problems with the degradation of the media than with scratches, and this problem usually happens on the last track or two.

A quick search indicates a 1999 release date so that could be the issue. Thanks for the reply.

Joel

Joel

Increase the ripping speed on the last track.

I've done some research, and the methods I've found, both machines available for purchase and "home grown" methods like using toothpaste, seem to be somewhat hit and miss. So it depends on how instant you want your gratification (a completely playable disc). I don't know whether the disc would be accepted for refund if you tried repairing it yourself, since all of these methods other than simply cleaning the CD involve polishing with something mildly abrasive like toothpaste.

I appreciate it, Jud.

That's why I asked.

I'd hate to end up with a non-returnable disc.

Still, finding these discs at a semi-reasonable price is tough.

Joel

Toothpaste?

:)

Toothpaste?

:)

Automobile buffing compound has also been suggested.

Yes, really.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Looks like I was already ripping at maximum speed with no secure mode. I don't see an option regarding "C pointers".

Joel

C pointers are part of secure mode.

Are you in burst mode?

check out interpolation, if you can't rip, then try with iTunes .

C pointers are part of secure mode.

Are you in burst mode?

check out interpolation, if you can't rip, then try with iTunes .

I am in burst mode, alfe.

I'll try your suggestions.

Thanks for hanging in there with me on this.

Joel

Long shot, but you could try reading the CD using a different machine, if you have one.

I've got a PC, an Oppo BDP player, and an old Sony SACD player at home, there is some variability in how they read scratched CD's.

Front End: Neet Airstream

Digital Processing: Chord Hugo M-Scaler

DAC: Chord Dave

Amplification: Cyrus Mono x300 Signatures

Speakers: Kudos Titan T88

Long shot, but you could try reading the CD using a different machine, if you have one.

I've got a PC, an Oppo BDP player, and an old Sony SACD player at home, there is some variability in how they read scratched CD's.

I think that's a great suggestion and if alfe's suggestions don't work on my current machine, it certainly couldn't hurt to try different players.

Thanks for the idea.

Joel

Do you see any "bronzing" around the edge of the disc? This is a brownish color and indicates oxidation of the aluminum. This effects the last track & sounds like an LP with a scratch: chick, chick, chick etc. If so, there is nothing you can do. The scratches you describe down sound that bad. Are they radial or following the data spiral?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Do you see any "bronzing" around the edge of the disc? This is a brownish color and indicates oxidation of the aluminum. This effects the last track & sounds like an LP with a scratch: chick, chick, chick etc. If so, there is nothing you can do. The scratches you describe down sound that bad. Are they radial or following the data spiral?

That's the funny thing. I don't see any defects or discoloration. It's hard to understand why the last track won't play properly.

Joel

That's the funny thing. I don't see any defects or discoloration. It's hard to understand why the last track won't play properly.

Joel

The CD player motor spins a CD slower as it reads outward, so there are other variables at play. Whether a slight warp could cause a problem in that regard I really don't know, but it's interesting that the problem is on the outside track and no scratches are visible.

Front End: Neet Airstream

Digital Processing: Chord Hugo M-Scaler

DAC: Chord Dave

Amplification: Cyrus Mono x300 Signatures

Speakers: Kudos Titan T88