IGNORED

Cable burn-in

Hi there.

Are any of you capable people able to explain to me the science behind cable burn-in?

I can hear the difference between different cables, however I don't remember a cable of mine ever changing its nature over time, be it a cheap cable or any of my more expensive cables.

Perhaps the impedance changes?

TIA

mac_and_dac

Front End: Neet Airstream

Digital Processing: Chord Hugo M-Scaler

DAC: Chord Dave

Amplification: Cyrus Mono x300 Signatures

Speakers: Kudos Titan T88

I can hear the difference between different cables, however I don't remember a cable of mine ever changing its nature over time, be it a cheap cable or any of my more expensive cables.

Likewise.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Hi there.

Are any of you capable people able to explain to me the science behind cable burn-in?

TIA

mac_and_dac

Some will say it's due to analog jitter, others that when the electrons get hot they run faster but in any case the subjectivists are going to get upset in this thread:)

Hi there.

Perhaps the impedance changes?

TIA

mac_and_dac

There is no science in support of cable burn-in.

It's also interesting that among the believers there are multiple contradictory claims being made about the nature of burn-in. Some of them must be wrong.

Everything is a subject of burn-in process.

Agreed on that. Though some people tend to be a subject of a burn out process..

Among many audio accessories I tested for burn-in changes only Shun Mook Mpingo stuff worked perfectly straight out of the box!

Ps. My first post so hello everybody :)

It's mostly about the behavior of the dielectrics. This paper gives a description of how some common dielectrics age:

http://www.jeffjournal.org/papers/Volume8/JEFF8-03-16.E.Suljovrujic.pdf

Cardas explains the burn-in phenomenon in simpler terms:

Insights - Cable Break-in

You can find all the material you need online.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

You realise that this paper is about polymers ?

The insulation used between conductors is normally an extruded polymer like Teflon.

Some of the more complicated cable designs exhibit significant capacitance which cause odd amplifier behavior at frequency extremes.

I liken this pursuit to putting gold plated 20" rims on a Mazda 3.

https://passlabs.com/articles/speaker-cables-science-or-snake-oil

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Some of the more complicated cable designs exhibit significant capacitance which cause odd amplifier behavior at frequency extremes.

How is a few weeks of playing music through such a cable going to reduce the capacitance for the better ?

Well designed solid state amplifiers have Zobel Output networks (L, C and R) to reduce problems such as this.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

How is a few weeks of playing music through such a cable going to reduce the capacitance for the better ?

Well designed solid state amplifiers have Zobel Output networks (L, C and R) to reduce problems such as this.

It is unlikely that any 'treatment' will make a measurable change that is detectable above the noise floor of most home audio systems.

Belief that something like this works falls in the category of unfalsifiable claims that operate as a 'Math Tax' on the overly credulous.

It bears mentioning that a good value for money can be found through Blue Jeans cable which eschews the sort of prattle accompanying mega buck cables.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/178/Unfalsifiability

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Whenever you buy a new product like cables, your mind and all your senses will open with your ears to undertand the difference in music. You are far away from listening to music, this is the illness of being audiophile. You quit listening to music and enjoying it, its far away from enjoying, just listen to what you hear, what changed. After some time passed and you forget how much money you spend to that cable, and you forget the music you had listened before that cable come to your system, than the burning process finishes. :) Your system begins to play some music and you enjoy it.

Human ability of hearing can be change time to time. After a hard working day you hear different, or sleeping well and make your breakfast and after that your hear different.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also subjectivist, I can hear the differences of usb cables and much more in my system. I also believe that cables have burn-in times. Because I like this hobby this way and I want to buy new stuff and feel the differences.

Is there any changes in music after burn-in. I think yes there is... :)

We can explain the fundamental concepts, but can't understand it to you.

Please explain me the fundamental concept, I'm always open for the next generation science.

Perhaps you will consider reading the linked source materials.

In your link I don't see any burn-in period.