IGNORED

Cable burn-in

Face it, George. Everything is "hipper" than you are! :)

Thanks for the compliment Allan!

When I read absolute statements like this, I can't help but be reminded of the statement of Lord Kelvin who, in 1900, wrote:

"There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now. All that remains is more and more precise measurement".

Of course, that was written before a few people like Einstein, Planck, etc., came along and published their theories. :)

I'm not aware that I made any "absolute statements". I did state what is generally accepted by the rest of the electronics/physics world (Audiophiles excepted) as fact, that there should be nothing in wire and cable TO "burn-in". Other than that I just related my experience with burn-in which is essentially zero. What it is about either of those statements that you consider analogous to that of Lord Kelvin's notorious quote, above, I have no idea.

George

Thanks for the compliment Allan!

I'm not aware that I made any "absolute statements". I did state what is generally accepted by the rest of the electronics/physics world (Audiophiles excepted) as fact, that there should be nothing in wire and cable TO "burn-in". Other than that I just related my experience with burn-in which is essentially zero. What it is about either of those statements that you consider analogous to that of Lord Kelvin's notorious quote, above, I have no idea.

@gmgraves

Hello George, if you felt sick, and someone treats you with a process you don't understand (or for that matter whirls a rubber chicken above your head) and you suddenly feel better, would you tell them to leave? We don't have to completely understand things to appreciate or believe in them....Enjoy. Robert

I'm not aware that I made any "absolute statements". I did state what is generally accepted by the rest of the electronics/physics world (Audiophiles excepted) as fact, that there should be nothing in wire and cable TO "burn-in". ther than that I just related my experience with burn-in which is essentially zero. What it is about either of those statements that you consider analogous to that of Lord Kelvin's notorious quote, above, I have no idea.
With respect, George, previously you did not state that "there SHOULD be nothing in wire and cable TO 'burn-in'." Rather, you stated that "theoretically, there is nothing about a piece of wire that CAN "burn-in". IMO, the latter is stated in absolute terms, and therein lies the analogy to Lord Kelvin's statement.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

@gmgraves

Hello George, if you felt sick, and someone treats you with a process you don't understand (or for that matter whirls a rubber chicken above your head) and you suddenly feel better, would you tell them to leave? We don't have to completely understand things to appreciate or believe in them....Enjoy. Robert

Perhaps you don't need to understand things to appreciate them, but that doesn't mean that others share that view. For instance, if you want me to believe in a god of some kind, you are going to have to introduce me to him/her/it, personally! If, upon my death, I find myself standing at the Pearly Gates before St. Peter, or Allah, or Vishnu, or Zeus, or Odin, or whatever, then, and only then will I believe in deities.

Knowing what I know about how easily people can be fooled by illusions, someone is going to have to come-up with some experiment that takes human hearing memory out of the equation to convince me that something that can't happen is happening. I.E. I wouldn't believe (in this case) my own ears with regard to cable burn-in for reasons that I have already described. Human memory for sound quality (including mine) is simply not that good and there are too many variables in one's own condition; mood, physical condition, time of day, even barometric pressure from hour-to-hour, day to day, week-by-week for anybody to rely on their ears for any long-term effects such as burn-in. Either a way must be found to directly compare a new cable with an identical "burned-in" cable, or the phenomenon remains mythology to me.

George

With respect, George, previously you did not state that "there SHOULD be nothing in wire and cable TO 'burn-in'." Rather, you stated that "theoretically, there is nothing about a piece of wire that CAN "burn-in". IMO, the latter is stated in absolute terms, and therein lies the analogy to Lord Kelvin's statement.

Seems to me that "theoretically" implies "should". IOW, it's the theory that is saying that there is no characteristic of wire that can burn-in, not me.

George

• 1 month later...