IGNORED

Focusrite REDNet

Over on Headfi @Torq did a comparison of sources for his Holo Spring Dac review and felt the Aries was similar to the Rednet, given the Aries is more hifi friendly isn't that the better option?

'

With the Holo Audio Spring DAC I found that the I2S input fed from 2015 Mac Pro -> USB -> Singxer SU-1 -> I2S was audibly superior, if only slightly, to ethernet (air-gapped or direct) into Auralic Aries OR RedNet 3 -> AES/EBU XLR.

So even with USB in the chain, that particular DDC/DAC setup does out perform an AOIP/AES interface.'

Certainly one good data point however a well tweaked USB chain can get pretty expensive and complex/messy. Additionally many of the best reviews of AOIP also include a Mutec USB and even an external clock like the Antelope. Of course this gets expensive also ...and complex.

In the end it is what sounds good to you. Most comparisons online end up being "apples to oranges" and seldom take into consideration associated equipment and room treatment.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

• 11 months later...

An interesting message from Focusrite:

Jack Cole (Focusrite )

9 Nov, 16:22 GMT

Hi Joel,

Thanks for your enquiry and your interest in our products.

Latency figures for the Scarlett range are published here: https://focusrite.com/scarlett-in-depth

The latency when using a D16 would depend on other parts of the system. If you're connecting the D16 directly to an ethernet port on your computer and using Dante Virtual Soundcard, your network latency will be 4ms minimum (that's the lowest option you can select with Dante Virtual Soundcard) + you'd need to factor in the driver latency of Dante Virtual Soundcard to then get sound to/from whatever software you're using (this isn't documented).

For very low latency performance, we would advise using the RedNet PCIe card. You would connect this to a spare PCIe slot in your computer (or in a Thunderbolt chassis if you don't have a PCIe slot) - you can then either connect the D16 directly to the card and then use the spare port on the PCIe card to connect to your computer's ethernet port for control, or connect the PCIe card, D16 and the computer to a network switch.

Using the PCIe card you'll be able to select the minimum network latency value for the D16 (1ms) and take advantage of the very low latency performance of the card which will give you around 2ms additional latency to/from a DAW at 48kHz, 32 sample buffer size.

I hope this helps, if you need any further information then please let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack Cole
Focusrite Technical Support

Vote for Focusrite in the 2018 Sound On Sound Awards here - www.soundonsound.com/sos-awards

Interesting. The last time I looked on the Focusrite site it said that sonically there was really no advantage to the PCIe card. It just allows you to connect to more devices.

Regarding latency I would think that would only matter if you were getting dropouts or other connection related negative effects. I have DVS set for 4ms and get rock solid audio. I do have a direct connection to my D16 and my ethernet cable is just 1m long. 

System

On 14/11/2017 at 5:50 PM, jelt2359 said:

Rednet Control 2.1 is out. It sounds sonically better to me- bigger soundstage, more precise imaging. The 2.0.3 sounds warmer, has more body, but has less detail.

I accidentally heard the difference because I'm trying to get Rednet Control to do sample rate follow even with it closed on windows 2016 core mode.

The support mentioned they were using 2.0.3, and I realised I was using 2.1 so I downgraded to try. That's when I heard the difference. BTW, both don't work- Rednet Control must be open for sample rate follow to work...

I'm interested to the Rednet D16.

Please, may I know if it automatically switches the sample rate to follow incoming data? I was told that has to be manually changed using Rednet Control.

2 minutes ago, jelt2359 said:

Under sample rate follow, you can choose global or for just the rednet device- choose your computer to follow. They pretty much specifically built this feature for us audiophiles!

Thank you!

this is a software feature present on Rednet Control version 2.1 ? sorry for my basic questions but I'm new on Rednet domain.

7 minutes ago, jelt2359 said:

Yes, it is. It's been available in previous versions, though.

Thanks, do you have windows based computer?

I found this from Focusrite Help Centre:

When using any of the sample rate follow options, Dante Virtual Soundcard can be set as the device to be followed but will not automatically switch sample rates to follow another device since changing the sample rate of Dante Virtual Soundcard is only configurable via Dante Controller.

........after the listed procedure:

Please note: Dante Virtual SoundCard will automatically switch sample rates following the DAW when chosen as the playback device for the DAW on Windows, but will not do this on OSX. You will need to follow the provided steps above each time you change the sample rate within the DAW while using Dante Virtual Soundcard

You are setting the sample rate of Rednet Control, not DVS.

DVS is the sample rate on your computer, set by your player. This is saying you cannot set your computer to follow the rednet, which is the opposite of what you want to do.

Yes I am using Windows.

I don't touch my Rednet control in my listening sessions which includes songs at 44.1, 192, 96, etc. It takes about 2 seconds to change the sample rate, and it does so automatically, for each song with a different sample rate.

Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, jelt2359 said:

You are setting the sample rate of Rednet Control, not DVS.

DVS is the sample rate on your computer, set by your player. This is saying you cannot set your computer to follow the rednet, which is the opposite of what you want to do.

Yes I am using Windows.

I don't touch my Rednet control in my listening sessions which includes songs at 44.1, 192, 96, etc. It takes about 2 seconds to change the sample rate, and it does so automatically, for each song with a different sample rate.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

I will check it when arrives.

14 hours ago, jelt2359 said:

Welcome! I'm sure you'll love it!

It will arrive in a couple of days.

Sorry if I'm back to the issue, I am little confused.

looking on Focusrite help pages here https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115002512069-Using-Sample-Rate-Follow-with-RedNet-Control-2-0

If I set for "Tab Follow Device", i have to read on the list my computer name? (in my case MacMini).

In case into the list apperas DVS only, for MAC OS only, it (DVS) will NOT automatically switch sample rates following the data coming from MacMini.

There are here some Mac fellows which may elucidate me?

Thank you in advance.

On 21/11/2017 at 9:39 AM, caliaripaolo said:

It will arrive in a couple of days.

Sorry if I'm back to the issue, I am little confused.

looking on Focusrite help pages here https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115002512069-Using-Sample-Rate-Follow-with-RedNet-Control-2-0

If I set for "Tab Follow Device", i have to read on the list my computer name? (in my case MacMini).

In case into the list apperas DVS only, for MAC OS only, it (DVS) will NOT automatically switch sample rates following the data coming from MacMini.

There are here some Mac fellows which may elucidate me?

Thank you in advance.

no mac user with a RedNet here?

3 hours ago, caliaripaolo said:

no mac user with a RedNet here?

i am using a Mac mini and Rednet 16 R (LPS-1 converted ). If you have set the "Tab Follow Device" it it will follow the your Mac or Rednet. So instead of 2 manually changes (1 mac and 1 Rednet) you only need to do 1....B|

12 hours ago, Tand said:

i am using a Mac mini and Rednet 16 R (LPS-1 converted ). If you have set the "Tab Follow Device" it it will follow the your Mac or Rednet. So instead of 2 manually changes (1 mac and 1 Rednet) you only need to do 1....B|

Thank you,

sorry but I do not understand: "So instead of 2 manually changes (1 mac and 1 Rednet) you only need to do 1.."

Do you mean that each time changes the rate into the player, you have to manually change the rate ? and where you have to?

One more question: you have modded the 16R by using the LPS-1. This means the 16R is powered by 7 VDC?

Is there someone here that use the second output of Uptone JS-2 to power the 16's?

3 hours ago, caliaripaolo said:

Thank you,

One more question: you have modded the 16R by using the LPS-1. This means the 16R is powered by 7 VDC?

Is there someone here that use the second output of Uptone JS-2 to power the 16's?

I have the D16 AES and it runs on 5V as measured directly before I removed the SMPS. The D16R has two(redundant) SMPSs but I assume that they each still put out 5V since the rest of the electronics are the same. You could drop Focusrite an email to confirm. Or if you plan to mod it yourself anyway just open it up, turn it on, and measure with a voltmeter.

It may work fine for a while with 7v but if it is meant to run on 5v you will be throwing away 2 volts as heat which will stress the unit... or worse. 

System

12 minutes ago, mourip said:

I have the D16 AES and it runs on 5V as measured directly before I removed the SMPS. The D16R has two(redundant) SMPSs but I assume that they each still put out 5V since the rest of the electronics are the same. You could drop Focusrite an email to confirm. Or if you plan to mod it yourself anyway just open it up, turn it on, and measure with a voltmeter.

It may work fine for a while with 7v but if it is meant to run on 5v you will be throwing away 2 volts as heat which will stress the unit... or worse. 

Hi Paul,

Thank you.

I will select 5V in output of my JS-2.

But first I have to install the D16 and try to make it work best.

There is someone here who has written a short handbook in order to describe step by step procedures to be performed to install the d16? :(