IGNORED

JRiver Media Centre for Mac

Barnaby

Hi

I just downloaded the trial for this and was looking for a thread on it but can't see a recent one. I have found it to be very good so far. I prefer it to Audirvana which although I liked it for small periods found to be tiring and harsh. MC seems a lot warmer. I also noticed that some recordings which sounded a bit scratchy on A+ sounded fine on MC. I'm not sure why this should be but on my system it definitely seems to be the case. I also prefer it to Amarra because it works better and without hassle.

The only thing I'm not keen on is the lack of support for MC. Seems to rely on a forum and a wiki thing; there isn't even a proper manual! ( I'm not that keen on paying nearly £8 for a remote control app either but that's another issue )

Has anyone found the lack of support to be an issue with this player?

I just downloaded the trial for this and was looking for a thread on it but can't see a recent one. I have found it to be very good so far. I prefer it to Audirvana which although I liked it for small periods found to be tiring and harsh. MC seems a lot warmer. I also noticed that some recordings which sounded a bit scratchy on A+ sounded fine on MC. I'm not sure why this should be but on my system it definitely seems to be the case. I also prefer it to Amarra because it works better and without hassle.

The only thing I'm not keen on is the lack of support for MC. Seems to rely on a forum and a wiki thing; there isn't even a proper manual! ( I'm not that keen on paying nearly £8 for a remote control app either but that's another issue )

I also use JRiver on the Mac and haven't found the lack of support to be an issue at all.

I suggest that you check out the following thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/j-river-tips-and-techniques-user-experiences-repository-13684/

It would be a good place to ask any questions. There are a lot of folks here that have been using the product for a long time.

In regards to JRemote, just get it. You will thank me later. :)

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

In a word, 'Yes'. However, are you aware of ted_b's excellent introductory videos to JRMC? They were written for the Windows version but, AFAIK, they should apply to the Mac version as well:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/jriver%20part%201%20-%20intro.mp4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/Jriver%20Part%20Two%20-%20Tags%20and%20Views.mp4

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Thanks very much for the links. They look useful and I will follow them up.

Seems some mixed experiences though I suppose it's only an issue if you need support.Allan F, did you have bad experiences with the product that were difficult to resolve and would it put you off buying again?

Thank you everyone :)

Thanks very much for the links. They look useful and I will follow them up.

Seems some mixed experiences though I suppose it's only an issue if you need support.Allan F, did you have bad experiences with the product that were difficult to resolve and would it put you off buying again?

Thank you everyone :)

Barnaby,

I had a bit of frustration finding the proper settings to get it to play DSD files with my DAC initially. I sent a PM to ted_b who replied almost immediately with the solution. I haven't had any significant problems with the program since. It's a very good product, especially when combined with the JRemote app on an iPad. I am not a big fan of the owner of the company, who is more than a little bit arrogant. However, I wouldn't let that prevent me from recommending his product. OTOH, I personally have found no reason to pay to update beyond my initial purchase of JMRC 19, which I bought a long time ago. I use it for audio only and have no interest in its other features for tv or photos.

The JRiver Wiki, IMO, is almost useless for troubleshooting. It's very difficult to find what you want, and many of its entries are hopelessly out of date. If you have a specific issue, it's probably best to post a thread on the JRiver forum, although you might also post one on CA as well.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Barnaby,

I am not a big fan of the owner of the company, who is more than a little bit arrogant.

Please remind me why you feel that way. Have I offended you? If so, I apologize.

The JRiver Wiki, IMO, is almost useless for troubleshooting. It's very difficult to find what you want, and many of its entries are hopelessly out of date.

The wiki has a lot of information. It's true that some parts aren't as up to date as others, but even most of those are useful.

Barnaby,

This thread explains how we do support:

Is this support?

If you try it, I think you will find that it usually works.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

Please remind me why you feel that way. Have I offended you? If so, I apologize.
Please don't get me started, Jim. All you have to do is read some of your own posts. Just let it go. FWIW, apology accepted.

I've read my posts. Please be specific. I think your use of "arrogant" is a serious one.

I've expressed opinions that were occasionally not well received, but if that's your standard, half the forum members would be arrogant.

So, please do post a few links.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

JRMC for MAC is a very nice program, but it requires some time to learn, Internet surf, and sift through what works. For me, it involved a great deal of trial and error. I now have the MC21 master license, as well as an JRiver Id device loaded with MC20. Started with MC 17 for Windows.

I fully concur with kumakuma on jremote. It is a must for tablet and smartphone control.

I've read my posts. Please be specific. I think your use of "arrogant" is a serious one.
Anyone Familiar with your condescending posts regarding "bits are bits" and/or "all bit perfect music players sound alike" of a while ago knows exactly what I mean. I don't see any point in pursuing this topic any further, so I won't.

JRMC for MAC is a very nice program, but it requires some time to learn, Internet surf, and sift through what works. For me, it involved a great deal of trial and error. I now have the MC21 master license, as well as an JRiver Id device loaded with MC20. Started with MC 17 for Windows.

I fully concur with kumakuma on jremote. It is a must for tablet and smartphone control.

Oh, with a little practice, you can download and install JRiver on a Mac (or a PC) in just a few minutes. It doesn't take much customization to get it running. The real work is in library customization, and that is a task that can be done over time. Download to play time, on my iMac 5K with Flash/SSD, is less than 15 minutes, and that includes importing 30K or so albums off SAN space.

But what IMNSHO, really makes JRiver SHINE is JRemote. The combination is darn near perfect, and makes putting up with a few Windows-Centric idiosyncrasies quite worth it.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein