IGNORED

Aurender N100H vs. Aries + NAS

Hello,

I currently have a dedicated Synology NAS (routed through dedicated vlan switched) feeding Aries via FMC tweak. I've tried wireless, but the sq seems brighter than via ethernet.

I am curious if anyone has experience with NAS + Aries and has switched or tested the Aurender N100H (internal storage).

Thanks,

Udi

Hello,

I currently have a dedicated Synology NAS (routed through dedicated vlan switched) feeding Aries via FMC tweak. I've tried wireless, but the sq seems brighter than via ethernet.

I am curious if anyone has experience with NAS + Aries and has switched or tested the Aurender N100H (internal storage).

Thanks,

Udi

Do you not like the Aries?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I am considering buying an Aries so I would be interested in your opinion. The N100 is $900 more & I don't really get the point of the cache HD. Even an SSD has a finite life.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I am considering buying an Aries so I would be interested in your opinion. The N100 is $900 more & I don't really get the point of the cache HD. Even an SSD has a finite life.

To my ears and based on my setup, going from a mac mini (SSD) to Aries was a massive jump. I did not mod the mac (which some members swear by it). However, after playing around with various tweaks, i'd like to simply my setup (remove NAS, switch, router, and 2 FMCs... and associated power). The N100 offers exactly what i need in 1 box, plus i've heard the sound is better than Aries (as a streamer alone).

Regarding Cache, to my understanding, cacheing reduces the processing load. Aurender's website claims "it eliminates music quality degradation"... that's likely related to noise traveling from the NAS. So if it is cached, no noise.

I can appreciate what your saying. I actually just added a NAS with fibre optic connection to my NUC w/ two FMC's so that I could remove the HDD from the NUC. (The spinning drive was faintly audible from listening chair.) I am leaning towards the Aries because I decided it would be easier to replace a bad HD in the NAS then in the N100H. To be honest, the NUC with MPD sounds so good that I am not in a rush to replace it. Thanks for your comments.

The cache HD is a key factor as to why the Aurender players work so well and sound sublime. They do not stream files over the network, they copy the file locally and stream it from SSD after copying has finished (circa 1 second for 44.1 FLAC).

The N100 is utterly fabulous for the coin.

:-)

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

The cache HD is a key factor as to why the Aurender players work so well and sound sublime. They do not stream files over the network, they copy the file locally and stream it from SSD after copying has finished (circa 1 second for 44.1 FLAC).
Presumably that means you always have to wait before it starts playing files from a music file library stored on a NAS. How does Aurender handle an entire playlist, ie, do you have to wait for the whole playlist to be copied over first before it starts playing or does it start playing while it's still copying the rest of the playlist over the network?

If it's the latter, then I don't really see much difference between streaming and playing a whole playlist's worth of files directly over the network and playing them from a local storage drive while still transferring the rest of the playlist over the network to the local storage, to be honest. In fact most decent network audio players/renderers/ streamer's will probably have streamed the majority of the first file into memory, if not even some of the next file to cue it for gapless playback support, before even decoding the first file in order to play it.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

No, they copy over to the internal SSD as you add the queue, you don't even notice it happening, the first track plays after 1 second and then it's seamless/gapless from there.

;-)

Presumably that means you always have to wait before it starts playing files from a music file library stored on a NAS. How does Aurender handle an entire playlist, ie, do you have to wait for the whole playlist to be copied over first before it starts playing or does it start playing while it's still copying the rest of the playlist over the network?

If it's the latter, then I don't really see much difference between streaming and playing a whole playlist's worth of files directly over the network and playing them from a local storage drive while still transferring the rest of the playlist over the network to the local storage, to be honest. In fact most decent network audio players/renderers/ streamer's will probably have streamed the majority of the first file into memory, if not even some of the next file to cue it for gapless playback support, before even decoding the first file in order to play it.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

The playlist resides on the Aurender. The files are moved to cache. You see a small indicator on the Aurender's display whenever a file is being cached and the part of the file that is cached is what is played. The caching process is very fast so you don't see the indicator often. This is my experience using the X100L and its internal disks. The process is transparent. Note: that the Aurender uses both a cache and memory for this process. I sounds great.

Someone using an N100 can speak to the speed of the process using a NAS.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

The playlist resides on the Aurender. The files are moved to cache. You see a small indicator on the Aurender's display whenever a file is being cached and the part of the file that is cached is what is played. The caching process is very fast so you don't see the indicator often. This is my experience using the X100L and its internal disks. The process is transparent. Note: that the Aurender uses both a cache and memory for this process. I sounds great.

Someone using an N100 can speak to the speed of the process using a NAS.

What are your thoughts, in terms of SQ, the difference between connecting to NAS vs. storing all music internally?

The files are copied to the cache disk, it's the same file from wherever it was copied from. Anyone that hears SQ difference is imagining it.

That is the key benefit of Aurender.

What are your thoughts, in terms of SQ, the difference between connecting to NAS vs. storing all music internally?

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Barring network problems, which I had at one time, they sound pretty much the same. Although sometimes I imagine that storing the music internally sounds a bit better. :)

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

I agree with everything that is said above about the Aurender - If you load a new playlist you may see the small indicator a little more often but really not that often and even if you do there is no impact on the playing of the track at all. Not sure how it all does it but it works great as you would think there would be more activity - it just must be fast. In a playlist if you are pulling local tracks on the Aurender hard drive(s) and/or from your Nas its just seamless. In addition I have several Tidal tracks also mixed in and occasionally there is a slight pause bringing one of these up but not that often. So a playlist with local Aurender stored tracks, NAS tracks and Tidal over the internet works like a charm. I like listening to a playlist set to random of my favorite tracks that come from all three sources - unless you peak you don't know what is coming except that the next track is going to be great just not sure what!

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

Is there any disadvantage getting the n100h for use with a nas instead of the n100 ?

stereo :  Kronos Sparta / Miyajima Madake / Lumin U1 streamer / Lampizator Big 7 / EAR 912 linestage / Pass Labs XA100.8  / Marten Coltrane Soprano speakers

nas : Qnap tvs-471 

Is there any disadvantage getting the n100h for use with a nas instead of the n100 ?

See new review at audiostream.com

To my ears and based on my setup, going from a mac mini (SSD) to Aries was a massive jump. I did not mod the mac (which some members swear by it). However, after playing around with various tweaks, i'd like to simply my setup (remove NAS, switch, router, and 2 FMCs... and associated power). The N100 offers exactly what i need in 1 box, plus i've heard the sound is better than Aries (as a streamer alone).
Why not try/have you tried an external SSD in a USB enclosure on the Aries?
Why not try/have you tried an external SSD in a USB enclosure on the Aries?

I've tried that when I first hooked up the Aries. I was happy with the results, until I wanted to update, add files on the ssd. plus, I moved to nas so my files are available on my second system.