IGNORED

Who are You Going to See?

• 3 weeks later...
In May, we will see Amy Helm perform at this great, small-ish club in Beacon, NY. Saw her with Ollabelle a few times, and just love her voice and the Americana music she chooses.

In July, we will see Richard Thompson perform solo at this fine outdoor concert space, Caramoor. We've seen him before both solo and with a group, and enjoy solo much more. I've never seen a musician both so comfortable on the stage and someone who seems to like his audience so much.

Very very very excited by both ahead.

Dave, who spent about a half-hour talking with Ms. Helm after one of her concerts and she's also an elegant and friendly woman

Could not agree more on your Richard Thompson comments. I have been fortunate enough to see him three times solos and each time both the music, his wit, his stories made for an incredibly enjoyable evening. Aside from being one of the worlds acknowledged greatest guitarists, I would pay just to hear him talk to the audience for two hours!

JC

• 1 month later...
Wilco with Richard Thompson as opener June 4 in Philly.

Equally over-priced Peter Gabriel & Sting together near Philly.

Really was interested in seeing the Gabriel & Sting concert here in Detroit, but just had to draw the line on that pricing. Including dinner out, two tickets and parking, that was easily going to be a $600.00+ night, and as much as I love music, especially live, I just cannot go there.

JC

I do envy all of you who are going to see Richard Thompson. That should be a spectacular concert, as always. I am a huge fan of this brilliant guitar player, songwriter and gifted showman, especially live. Sadly, he is not appearing anywhere in my part of the country on this tour.

JC

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I was out of town when the tickets went on sale, but just finally managed to acquire a pair of really well placed seats through a friend for Loreena McKennitt's concert this coming Wednesday night. The concert is taking place in a very upscale 1930'40's theater with superb acoustics in Ann Arbor. I saw her perform there once about six years ago, and it was magical, especially in that setting.

JC

• 8 months later...

Trying to resurrect this thread, as I always found it interesting.

Just got back from the "Four Voices Tour" featuring Joan Baez, The Indigo Girls and Mary Chapin Carpenter. Wonderful, intimate concert. The artists performed most songs all together, while individually letting each of them play a solo from time to time. Great camaraderie and connection between all of them, and a memorable concert. Both the artists and crowd were truly committed to the event and it showed.

JC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got back from the concert and it was simply outstanding in terms of the music, performance, and effects. This tout, Roger Waters and company are playing all of the major Pink Floyd pieces, and they have never sounded better. Outstanding band backing him, including many supporting musicians that go back to the golden days of the Floyd. The sound quality in the arena was also excellent and enveloping. The two "twin appearing" blondes from the band Lucius were also an excellent addition, both in terms of their striking vocals,and seemingly endless energy.

The only disappointment was that I do not feel any desire to be hit over the head with the political opinion of a musical artist, or band during a performance. And there was far, far too much of that, and horribly misguided.

JC

Some friends also bought me a ticket to the Yestival Tour concert next week. This had to do with me taking them to see Yes about 6-7 years ago, when the band was almost entirely intact and playing very well. That and the fact that I have been a big Yes fan since they frst appeared on the scene. I was a bit shocked to realize that only ONE of the original five band members will be on the stage this time around. Falling outs and the sad passing of Chris Squire make me honestly have brought about this sad situation. I wonder how they can term this band Yes? Oh well, the bright spot is that Carl Palmer is opening, with his ELP tribute, and I would have gone simply for that.

JC

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/2/2018 at 11:18 AM, ted_b said:

Seen Yes 8 times in my life, but the first four were amazing.  Smallest was Elyria Catholic High School (yes, a high school gymnasium).  I was 5 ft from Steve Howe.  Then later next spring at Lakeland Community college (again, first few rows).  My most amazing concert was taking the most beautiful girl in HS, red dress and all, to Akron Civic Theater in Dec 1971 where they debuted Fragile.  WoW!  And finally, again in summer 1972 at the Akron Rubber Bowl.  Truly the most eclectic concert I've ever attended.  First up was an upstart group with a hit called Witchy Woman, the Eagles.  Then John McLaughlin and Mahavishnu Orchestra (the classic lineup with Billy Cobham, etc) and finally Yes.  We taped their performance (a debut of Close To The Edge) on a cheapo Aiwa portable, but it was great nonetheless.    Four times in two years!   Those were the days.  :)

I'm right with you Ted. I had the great fortune to see Yes quite a number of times in their prime, however, I never managed to see them in any venue as intimate as a high school! I'm jealous.  I saw them on their Fragile tour, Close To The Edge tour, Topographic Oceans tour, Relayer Tour and Going For The One tour. The first three were some of my most memorable concerts ever. Much later, I saw their simply outstanding 35th Anniversary tour with the entire original lineup. They were brilliant that night.

However, and I truly hope things are better for Barrows and others going to see them soon, but I couldn't have been more disappointed when I went to see them last summer. They were without Jon Anderson, Chris Squire (you are very much missed, Chris!) and nearly everyone. Indeed, Steve Howe was the only original member left. I listened to perhaps half of the show, where they seemed to purposely be avoiding any of their most complex hits, because, I expect, they realized that they could not do them justice. I finally couldn't take it any more, having known their music, and performances so well, back in their prime. I went to leave at that point, and, when a friend asked where I was going, I said, "I know Yes, and whoever it is up on that stage, it isn't them". I then turned and made my way out of the facility. 

JC

23 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Sad story. We want repetition of whatever we enjoyed 30 or 40 years ago, but what we really search and want is ourselves, only 30 or 40 years younger. And, it is not possible. We know ourselves, and whoever looks on us from the mirror every morning is not us...

Very true, and painfully so. Though, in this case, it is the loss of nearly all of the musicians that made Yes great that is mostly to blame. They were capable of incredible musicianship even on that 35th annniversary tour. Yes without John Anderson, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman and Bill Bruford honestly should have no right to perform under that name. As much as I admire the skills of Steve Howe on guitar, he alone is hardly more than a reminder of the band. 

JC

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Completely agree on "Songs For Beginners as an excellent piece of musiuc. I personally feel it is by far his best solos effort. Thanks for the SQ breakdown of the variations of this recording that have been available, Firedog. 

It's hard to imagine any fans of Graham Nash, David Crosby, or CSN/CSNY wouldn't be aware, but the Graham Nash David Crosby album by those two is, again, in my personal opinion, , possibly the best recording by any of the CSN triumvirate outside of their work as a group. Consistently excellent songs, beautifully performed and still timeless.

image.jpeg

One further thought, with apologies for diverting a bit from the point of this discussion. Granted, I resurrected it from near death, so some leeway seems only fair. Not to mention, discussion of good music should never be restricted. 

I would also highly recommend the live album by Crosby and Nash, "Another Stoney Evening" as a must listen for fans. Superb versions of a number of songs, including Southbound Train, Strangers Room and Guinevere are included, as well as a quite well recorded intimate evening with these two legends.

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Jud said:

John Mellencamp tonight.  I think his latest album is really fine.

Last fun for awhile, as our dog is having surgery and it's a 12-week recovery.

Jud, agreed on the latest Mellencamp being excellent. Best wishes for your dog and his recovery.

JC

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Superdad said:

Thanks for that.  The last tune he played, "Demons & Dancing Shoes" was my favorite. :D

Have seem him live a couple of times.  Always amazing.

Yes, he truly always puts on an amazing show, and how many artists can you absolutely say that about? Sadly, my expected plans for this concert experience have suffered a fairly severe setback. I have a good friend, very astute musically, who I introduced to Richard Thompson about ten years ago. Since then, he has become a huge fan of Richards, and we've seen him all three times in concert when he has appeared in our general area. He was set to attend the concert coming up on October 20th with me, and really looking forward to it. He just called today and surgery he had scheduled for about two weeks after the concert has been moved up to two days before. He will not be remotely mobile enough to attend now.

The really disappointing part is that I simply do not know of anyone else who would truly appreciate the concert, and here I am finding myself stuck with a ticket. Yes, I could sell it to someone that night while waiting in line to get into the facility, it did sell out very quickly, after all, but that just seems like such a poor substitute. Not to mention the hour and a half drive, each way, that I will now be making by myself, eating Sunday dinner alone at a restaurant somewhere near the concert, etc. Oh well, regardless, I'm not missing Richard Thompson! It's just unfortunate that an expectedly  great night has suffered these setbacks.

JC 

• 4 weeks later...

Ended up finding a musically savvy friend to attend the Richard Thompson concert with me, and it was a great night. Suffice to see he was blown away by the performance and especially his incredible guitar virtuosity. We were sitting no more than twenty feet away, and just  a bit off to the side. Even having seen Sir Richard about five times previously, I have to say that, especially up so close, his artistry on the guitar is absolutely stunning. And despite his fame as an electronic guitarist, what the man can do with an acoustic guitar is simply mesmerizing. 

The audience was very much into it, and he played a great selection of music from his long career. On his last two encores, he asked for things people wanted to hear, and I managed to somehow connect with him, and have two of my favorites played. If only more people in the States were aware of him, and his songwriting and guitar talents. The amazing thing was that, only a month or so back, he was in London for his 70th Birthday Concert Celebration, which filled the Royal Albert Hall, with a number of special guests including Thompson’s ex-wife and ex-musical partner Linda Thompson, their son Teddy Thompson, David Gilmour of Pink Floyd, Loudon Wainwright III, Bob Mould of Hüsker Dü, Hugh Cornwell of The Stranglers, Maddy Pryor and Martin Carthy of Steeleye Span, Harry Shearer (as Derek Smalls of Spinal Tap) and many others. And here I was Sunday night able to see him perform solo, in a venue that holds 350 people. What a truly special night. 

JC

• 2 years later...

Tomorrow night, I will be out for a rare (at least during the COVID world) live concert. I will be going with some very close friends, who are also huge music fans, to see Carl Palmer on his ELP Tribute Tour. The concert is at a small rock club that probably holds all of 250 people. I saw him a couple years ago, and was absolutely astonished by the fact that, at his age of 71, he can still play the drums as well as ever. Given how physical that effort is, especially at his level, is incredible. 

And, even with the sadness that comes with knowing that we lost both of his compatriots, Keith Emerson and Greg Lake to illnesses in recent years, it will still be an immense privilege to see the remaining ELP member, who who was voted by Rolling Stone as one of the 10 Greatest Rock Drummers of All Time. 

JC

• 6 months later...

REALLY looking forward to seeing Tori Amos tonight, at a absolutely wonderful venue, the Michigan Theater, in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I've been a huge fan of hers for thirty years, since her Little Earthquakes album appeared and blew so many people away. Getting to see her in such a superb acoustical venue should be stunning! 

JC