IGNORED

Metric Halo review

If I lived near NYC, I'd be there, Sanjay. Wish you could add in a ULN-2 and an Ayre QB-9.

Clay, I think what I want is the NA2MP, which is 3 pole XLR male - Mono 1/4" plug (Tip, Sleeve contact). I want to use my existing balanced (XLR) analog interconnects. Make sense?

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

Dan, TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) is a balanced interconnect, just as XLR is balanced. You need a TRS-XLR cable (TRS to XLR-Male, to be precise) to connect to the balanced inputs on an preamp or amplifier. It is best to use a TRS-XLR cable assembly rather than an adapter, if possible. Mogami, Canare and Whirlwind are a few brands favored by studios. Others prefer higher end cables (MIT, DH Labs, etc.) ... Many options are available.

Sanjay Patel | Ciamara Corporation | New York, NY | www.ciamara.com

I'd prefer to start with adapters before investing in buying or building new cables for the purpose.

I'm a bit confused by Clay's comment about mono vs. stereo, though. Don't I need all three T-R-S if going to X-L-R?

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

Hi Dan,

TRS = tip-ring-sleeve. Connectors look like a stereo 1/4" headphone plug.

TS = tip-sleeve. Connectors look like a mono 1/4" guitar amp cable

Balanced = 3 conductors, with the 3rd used for ground. Studios and pros prefer balanced connectors to reduce and eliminate hum/line noise, particularly with long cable runs. Balanced audio also runs at +4dB vs. -10dB for unbalanced, so signal strength is higher.

Unbalanced / single-ended = 2 conductors, as with RCA cables connectors.

Generally, you would run RCA to TS or XLR to TRS, though there are many exceptions to this rule ...

The 1/4" jacks on the back of the Metric Halo / Amarra hardware are TRS, balanced jacks. This allows you to connect the main monitor outputs to a set of powered monitors, a preamp or a power amp with balanced inputs, rather than the consumer unbalanced format. If your amplifier only accepts RCA/single ended inputs, you would run TRS to RCA, shorting the ground to pin 1, if I'm not mistaken.

I think a decent pair of TRS-XLRM cables from, say, Mogami, would maybe run you $20-40 depending on length, so probably not that big of a deal.

Does that help?

Thank you, Sanjay. I want to stick with adapters for now so that I can continue to use my Nordost balanced interconnects. I want one of the following from Neutrik, just not sure which:

NA2MP 3 pole XLR male - Mono 1/4" plug (Tip, Sleeve contact)

NA3MP 3 pole XLR male - stereo 1/4" plug (Tip, Ring, Sleeve contact)

Dan

I would not agree that a solid cable is always necessarily better than a cable with an adapter. In my view, a solid cable with the correct terminations built in will be preferable over an adapter and a cable, only in those situations where one likes the cable.

Personally, I'd much prefer my Nordost cables and an adapter with my Metric Halo devices, by far over something like a Mogami or Canare cable that has the correct terminations on it already. In my experience, the cable has a significantly greater effect on the final result.

Just my perspective.

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Hi Dan,

The "stereo" or "mono" designation is what is confusing (and likely, mistaken, since it is a single channel per connector).

You want TRS for sure. TS won't do it.

I can fully understand your preference for using adapters and for your Nordost cables. I use them myself and for my ears anyway, Nordost with an adapter (heck, I'd venture Nordost with several adapters) still wipes the sonic floor with the best Mogami or Canare wired straight up (i.e. no adapter). I've used all these combinations and for me, it isn't even close.

Hi Sanjay,

With MH gear, adapting to unbalanced is, if I recall correctly, achieved not by shorting ground to pin 1 but by leaving the cold connection floating.

Best regards,

Barry

I use the Sonic Studio 302 the SOnic version of the Metric Halo ULN-2 and absolutely love it! It is my one box solution and pulls duty as a DAC for my Mac Mini/Amarra playback, as an ADC for my tuner and turntable and finally as a phono pre amp. THe Sonic 302/UNL2 has 70 db of mic pre gain and a killer RIAA curve that bests some of the better $1500-$3000 phono pre amps out there.

I've done a bunch of LP transfers slay their CD counterparts, the ULN-2/Sonic 302 is amazingly transparent. I've not done much with the computer interface just the RME fireface 400 (I really did not like this one) but owned the Kora Hermes dac, transporter (didn't like this much no bottom end) and some great cdps like the Ayre and Wadia but so far the Sonic/Metric Halo is king of the heap!

JP,

welcome to CA,

"It is my one box solution and pulls duty as a DAC for my Mac Mini/Amarra playback, as an ADC for my tuner and turntable and finally as a phono pre amp."

Cool, so you're effectively using the 302 as a (full function) preamp?

How do you control the volume? via the Monitor output & the front panel Monitor control? or via the MIO Mixer panel controlling the Analog outs?

enjoy,

clay

"You want TRS for sure. TS won't do it."

I'm not sure that a simple adapter will do the trick. I'm NO expert on this. I recall trying to figure this out once, and I was never sure how to convert the unbalanced TRS to XLR. I was referred to the Rane site for a detailed explanation of what was involved, but I don't have the link.

EDIT: I just noticed that Sanjay says they are balanced. The MH site agrees: 2 analog outputs on balanced TRS connectors.

And now I recall why I was working to figure this out - I was trying to connect the ULN-2 directly to the balanced inputs on my amp. I never sorted it out, and just used my preamp instead, with adapters.

so, let's figure this out, as I can then use either of the ULN-2's two possible volume controls.

"I can fully understand your preference for using adapters and for your Nordost cables."

Audiophiles (seem to) eschew adapters even more than manufacturer-supplied power cables. Like the two of you, I'm not overly concerned about them either. I don't see it worth the extra expense of custom terminated cables, esp. as I buy expensive cables already broken-in. :)

clay

Clay, my amp is a modified Dared 845 tube integrated amp so it has its own volume, so I use the analog outs mot the monitor outs of the Sonic 302. Although the Sonic mixer panel volume control does not seem to impact SQ much if at all.

So I am really using the 302 as a phono pre and DAC/ADC, if I did not have a volume control on the Dared 845 I would use the monitor out on the Sonic 302. My eventual plan would be to use a UNL-8 as a one box solution and pre amp. I wish the Sonic Studios guys would make an iphone app for the mixer/panel. It is probably not that easy though.

jp11801, thanks for that great write-up. Am I correct that you need the DSP option on the ULN-2 in order to do RIAA, or is that a Sonic Studio exclusive? Is there anything about the 302 that is different from the ULN-2 with DSP?

One other question: If you do RIAA in software and therefore bypass using a phono stage, do you need to use a step-up transformer for the phono signal ahead of the 302?

Dan

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/340740.html

Dan,

this looks like the correct piece to me. agreed?

I'm gonna grab a couple of these and try them out, direct from ULN-2 to my J2's balanced interconnects, as I don't have balanced preamp.

I also don't have any balanced interconnects yet. Can you share the Nordost model you have? I need to do some cable research (uugghh!!) on balanced interconnects, so I might as well start there. I can't afford the one's Barry uses. :)

thanks in advance,

clay

"The Vakyrjas didn't exactly cost thousands of dollars "per foot" but no doubt, they ain't cheap."

I confused the Valhallas with Valkyrjas, the former of which are out of my price league.

I think I'll try to locate a pair already burned in to try out between my ULN-2 and my amp.

thanks for the recommendation, Barry

clay

Hi jp11801,

I prefer the analog outs of the ULN-2 because I find the monitor outs aren't as transparent or clean as the Analog outs paired with my Oritek preamp, using discrete circuits.

The ULN-2's headphones out is obviously noisy compared to a decent headamp's. However, the sonic quality is so great when listening the monitor outs through a decent DIY solid-state headamp, driving my HD800.

This implies a decent line buffer circuit can dramatically improve the sonics, lowering the noise floor.

FYI.

Bordin, I would agree I have a few headphone amps and like them better than the Sonic HP out, it really lacks low end but is very revealing to flaws in the top end. I use it sometimes to edit LP transfers for that reason but would not listen this way for pleasure.

While I'm not a huge fan of the Oritek stiff, Ori tends to design on the brighter side of life it is probably an improvement on the monitor outs. I would like to see if the ULN-8 has better monitor outs but rolling in new pre amps can be fun.

Oh and for about a grand the RSA Raptor is a nice match for the HD800s, it's tubes but for this headphone sounds great.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/263289.html

He has a PAIR of XLR cables (each mono, per se) and wouldn't want the stereo adapter if the mono is available, right?. The stereo adapter is for microphones, etc. BTW, if $600-700/pair is in your budget I have found no XLR cable that can match the Furutech Evolution II's in that range. They are incredible in their detail, speed and dynamics. My other fave, Frank Tchang's ASI Liveline cables, are almost double that, and do color/tonality/you-are-there like no other.

Well, I ordered the stereo already, but your analysis makes sense, Ted. It just seems that if the mono is T and S only, then how are pins 1, 2 and 3 all accounted for? I guess we'll find out -- they may work just fine anyway.

Dan

You ordered the correct adapters. The term "stereo" is a misnomer in this application. TRS plugs look like stereo headphone plugs. When used with headphones, they carry a stereo signal. When used with balanced interconnects, they carry a mono signal. Just remember that balanced interconnects have 3 conductors (T-R-S or X-L-R).

http://www.jiscdigitalmedia.ac.uk/images/mg09jackplug

- the top one is TS

- the bottom one is TRS

Hi Ted,

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the terms "stereo" or "mono" are misused in this case. While a TRS connector can indeed be used to transmit a stereo signal, it can also be (and in this case *is*) used to transmit a balanced mono signal.

I believe Dan ordered the correct parts. He can let us know when all is in hand and he's hooked up (or not).

Best regards,

Barry

P.S. Looks like Sanjay posted this too. (Hi Sanjay!)

It's just that the "stereo" thing was not sounding right, but now I understand. I have some dog in this fight too, cuz I'm thinking of taking B&H up on their 15 day policy to try a ULN-2 against my wonderful Weiss DAC2, and would need adapters. My goal would have been the ULN-8 (as Barry knows) but they are nowhere to be found right now (back ordered everywhere). I have so little stuff above 96K that I'm not gonna lose sleep if the MH sonically beats my Weiss. It's a very high bar, though. ;)

Ted