IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

54 minutes ago, soupdujour said:

Hi all,

My ultraRendu arrived this afternoon.  Without the benefit of any burn-in (i.e., right out of the box) and after just a few bars of The Bill Evans Trio playing "Isn't it Romantic" from the DSD-256 version of "At Shelly's Manne-Hole" I knew that my previous audio rig, which I thought already to be at the apex of my own listening experience, climbed to new stratospheric heights.  But first some context.  Prior to adding the ultraRendu to the setup, my configuration included the following in the line-up: Brooklyn DAC (powered by an UpTone JS-2), an ISO REGEN (also powered by the JS-2) feeding into the DAC with a USPCB A>B, a microRendu 1.3 (powered by an UpTone LPS-1), AudioQuest Vodka ethernet for NAS and MacMini connections.  With my McIntosh amplifier driving my BW CM600 speakers in that configuration I could easily find myself listening for hours, feeling immersed by the open and natural sound reproduction of nearly all, but especially jazz, recordings in my library.

Then today I swapped out the mR 1.3 for the new ultraRendu.  WOW!  The soundstage not only widened, but the placement of the instruments on it seemed even more natural with the added depth the uR brings.  There's just so much added realism to the sounds of the instruments: the brushwork is textured and detailed, the cymbals naturally decay, and the movement of air with each note of the double bass is palpable.  And, as I said, this is without any burn-in period.  Some folks here commented just how much of an improvement the mR 1.4 is over its predecessor.  I can't compare the uR to mR 1.4, but if you're contemplating the leap from 1.3 to the uR, I can safely say you won't be disappointed.  I cannot wait to hear the incremental improvements after hours of streaming.

Happy listening!

Hurray!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, rlow said:

Hi all - I've got a line on a good deal for an Sbooster BOTW 9v/10v power supply. I see on Sbooster' site they recommend the 5v/6v version for the microRendu. Anyone know if the 9v/10v version (set to 9v) will work ok with the microRendu or ultraRendu?

9V should work fine with the ultra, with the micro you are getting close to the point where heat may be a problem: the heat level will depend on how much (if any) the attached DAC draws (current) from the USB 5V feed.  9V should be OK when using a DAC which does use the 5V USB power.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, d_elm said:

When HQ Player NAA is used on the microRendu and the data rate is 44.1 upsampled to DSD512 there are clicks and pops in the playback.  I would like to look at the CPU usage on the microRendu when this happens.  Is the 'top' command available on mR and what is the SSH login and password ?

I assume you checked the CPU on the computer running HQP already?  It is doing the "heavy lifting"...

SONORE computer audio

25 minutes ago, d_elm said:

No, it is not my system. Trying to help a friend.  Makes more sense to me the HQ NAA is overloaded.  Does not happen, recently, with roon NAA.  How about  SSH access so I can have a look at CPU with top ?

You would need to talk with Jesus about that.  As Sonore World HQ is preparing for the the Irma nightmare, please be patient when it comes to customer support over the next week.

SONORE computer audio

37 minutes ago, d_elm said:

Does this post do it to "talk with Jesus" or is there something else I must do ?  Sonore's web site indicates this is it.

As I suggested, please be patient with CS for Sonore right now.  Jesus, family, and the Sonore team may be evacuating.  For direct contact go to sonore.us and use the contact e-mail there.

SONORE computer audio

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Hi Jesus, I have a question you will likely find bizarre. Can the microRendu function correctly if immersed in a liquid nitrogen bath? Would this be destructive to any components of the device?

You are considering cryo treating it?

SONORE computer audio

• 2 weeks later...

yes, I think there are a very few out there...

SONORE computer audio

1 minute ago, guls said:

I have an old Musical Fidelity V-PSU with me. It has three 12V outputs. If I use it to power the microrendu, will it cause any damage?

Max input voltage is 9 VDC, do not use a 12 volt supply.

SONORE computer audio

• 1 month later...

That was because the introduction of the Signature Rendu SE was imminent, and to use that Rendu an actual USB cable (rather than super short adapter, etc) is necessary.  Additionally, as I was anticipating that the performance of the Signature Rendu SE was going to be off the charts, I felt the need to really dig into USB cables to find a really good one which would allow the SE to show its full performance.

So far, I am most happy with the Nordost Tyr USB cable, but wish I could get  my hands on a Valhalla 2 USB cable...   I also use the Sonore USB, which is very good as well.

SONORE computer audio

Usually, most suggest the shortest cable is the best for USB.  I suggest experimenting in your system, I did not like the short adapter with the microRendu, but I did like the short(ish) Curious cable.

Of course, with the Signature Rendu SE I use a normal USB cable, and the right one does matter.

SONORE computer audio

• 1 month later...

Why not go back to the Curious then?  We also have the Sonore USB, it is excellent, and it is under $1K at least.  Do not ask me why it is not on the Sonore web page.

It has separated power and signal legs, and very special HS signal wiring, made to our specifications by Cardas.  There is a picture of it on the Sonore FaceBook page.

SONORE computer audio

Cool, it is on the website now...

SONORE computer audio

On 3/8/2018 at 10:11 AM, Solstice380 said:

And they are affordable.  Sorry, I just haven’t found the Cardas cables / wire worth the asking price.  Except Audio Advisor’s Pangea which seems to sell Cardas wire at a realistic price.  I haven’t tried any of their cables I just have seen that they use Cardas and have more realistic pricing.  

The Sonore USB cable is entirely different design to anything offered by Cardas; it is specifically not just a re-branded Cardas product, but was designed to Sonore's specifications (after multiple prototypes were built and tested) to provide excellent performance with our products.  It would be a mistake to judge it based on the fact that is manufactured by Cardas.

SONORE computer audio

16 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

SuperDuperUltraMegaOkRendu

We already make that!  It is the actually named the Signature Rendu SE though...

SONORE computer audio

If you remove the power supply you will not have a Signature Rendu SE.  There are many advantages to the SRse:

The power supply is highly optimized for no compromise performance specifically for this product, it is better than anything else available anywhere for this purpose.

The close coupling of the power supply and main board allow for lower output impedance and better performance, no external supply plus a cable and plugs can equal the performance of a directly coupled supply.

The SRse weighs 10 lbs, and has a very solid chassis which creates a much better environment, free of vibrations, to allow for best possible performance.

And it is quite beautiful as an added bonus, but that is just an addition., the performance is what it is all about.

SONORE computer audio

20 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

You may even be able to modify it yourself

I would not recommend this!  The board space around the clock on the microRendu is very tight, only someone who is a true expert in SMD soldering with a good hot air station and the knowledge of how to use could do this change and even then the risk of damaging the board is high.

SONORE computer audio

1 minute ago, R1200CL said:

Agree. I wouldn’t do. But over at the SU-1 thread there are people willing to do, and has the skills. 

Thanks for explaining the PS of the SE edition. Maybe I one day will have the chance to try it. Is it a John Swenson design ? 

SU-1 has a lot more room around the clocks to work with.  Given its tiny size one can understand how it is much more difficult to manage the change on the microRendu.

The power supply of the SRse is a Sonore in house design, with of course, JS advising on the requirements of the circuit.

SONORE computer audio

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

Forgive me if this has been answered before, but is there any audible difference between the different renderers? Assuming they all pass bit perfect data and there is no processing turned on.

Say, do Roon and LMS sound Identical outputting the same data?

if one generates more noise rendering the data could this be passed on to affect the sound downstream?

Yes, of course there is.  All of these things sound different.  ROON, for example uses an entirely different way of streaming over Ethernet.  The sound quality differences are not about the data, they are about how much (and what type of) noise is carried along the way to the DAC.  Same reason a better Renderer (ultraRendu vs. microRendu for example) will produce better performance.

SONORE computer audio

I am currently getting very good results via ROON and Signature Rendu SE.  There are certainly no tonal anomalies vs. other players (I can measure that via RTA in room).  When ROON first came out, I preferred both Minimserver DLNA/MPD and Audirvana+.  But ROON has improved a lot in SQ.  Now I also oversample to DSD 256 (both for my ESS 9038 based and DSC-2 DACs) and ROON is very, nice with DSD up conversions (depends on the DAC of course).

All playback softwares do sound different though, and every system will probably respond a bit differently to different softwares, given all the variables.

Of course I need to try HQPlayer/NAA at some point, as most feel Jussi's DSD conversion and SDM is the "best".  I just do not have the hardware to handle it right now, and too many other things on my plate (DAC developments, etc).

SONORE computer audio

37 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Looks like no Black Friday from Sonore. 

I was hoping for the Signature Rendu SE to be offered. 

[email protected]

For pricing inquiries on the Signature Rendu SE, I believe it might still have sale pricing.

SONORE computer audio

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Peter J said:

Thanks for the success reports, I'm gonna have to give it another go after installing latest sonicOrbiter card. It appears I don't need 1.4 model to do this, which is cool. It does beg the question though, of differences in the 1.3 and 1.4 versions. Is this info in this thread somewhere? I can't find it on Sonore site.

1.4 versions have the Femto Clock.  This makes no difference in terms of what firmware works, it is a hardware change.

SONORE computer audio