IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

On 12/13/2018 at 7:46 AM, vortecjr said:

**Inventory update**

The microRendu is now back in stock and we have B-Stock microRendu available for purchase. The B-Stock microRendu have new processors, new mSD cards, new cases, new boxes, new warranty cards, and recertified I/O boards. 

I purchased one on Christmas Eve (gift to self ?). I look forward to getting it up and running. I've read quite a bit regarding set up, etc. but I'm wondering if this seems ok .. I have a Google WiFi mesh system and the server is an old Mac mini (2010, High Sierra, music on hard drive) connected to one of the WiFi points. Another WiFi point will connect to the mR. I'm using Asset UPnP right now but can change that if necessary (works great with Chromecast Audio and Hi-Fi Cast app). Any tips or comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

59 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

Melvin, you probably know this, but the microrendu requires an ethernet connection to your network.  When you say it is "connected" to the wifi point, I assume you mean wired rather than wirelessly.  

Yes, I'll be running an ethernet cable from the WiFi point to the mR. My coverage is excellent so I'm hoping it works well. I do the same with my Chromecast Audio and UGREEN adapter and it works great.

19 hours ago, jtrelin said:

I liked the Mojo Audio Joule and Illuminati power supplies better than the ones you listed and the Sonore Signature. You can get a used Joule V or Illluminati I perhaps from $400 to $650. A good deal considering the cost of the Sonore Signature.

I'm sure it is but for my microRendu it's a bit costly 😉.  Thanks anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Some follow-up comments now that I've lived with the new components for a while. I'm very happy with the Small Green Computer 7V LPS powering the microRendu. It brought a sound quality refinement on par with (if not better than) the SOtM mBPS-d2s. In addition, my DAC seems to sound better through its BNC connection, so I added my Bel Canto mLink into the mix for a listen. The mLink is a USB-powered converter with BNC-out and I'm using a Black Cat Silverstar! 75 cable. This combination being fed by the microRendu has given me the best sound to date. It's hard to imagine achieving better with my humble system. A big thank you to Sonore and Small Green Computer. 

10 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Your Welcome. It's been a while since a user talked about the Bel Canto mLink...enjoy!

I've had the mLink for 5 years or so but it hasn't seen much use until I acquired the Pagoda. While it's getting a bit long in the tooth it's spec's suit the DAC perfectly. Nice to know some of our aging tech can still sound great. BTW, I'm keeping a curious eye on the bevy of new products you're developing .. exciting times. Best.

• 3 weeks later...

Veils were lifted 😉

Last evening I spent some time listening to a few favorites, among them was Steely Dan’s “Two Against Nature”. Dan fans will know this 2001 Grammy Awards winning album (i.e., 4 including Best Engineered Recording, Non-Classical) is just superb in every way. It’s been in my collection since its release in 2000 so it’s safe to say I’m very familiar with this recording, yet I was completely taken aback while listening last night. I’ve experienced this “hearing deeper into the recording” type of improvement in the past and now, once again, I’m hearing detail I’ve never heard before. I can only attribute this latest refinement to the microRendu (w/SMG psu).

The microRendu was indeed the missing piece in achieving my sonic goal with this system. I now believe I’ve taken it as far as I can but my inner audiophile (the crazy part) is, of course, taunting me with thoughts of “better”. Is it even possible with this budget system (albeit a very fine one)? I might not think twice if I were listening to a $20,000 system, but a $5000 one? Granted, my components/speakers are said to scale wonderfully, and they do, but sanity reminds me of the law of diminishing returns. Perspective is a good thing.

Fortunately, I’m enthralled with this little system and sanity will prevail .. for now. I can’t help being intrigued with Sonore’s latest developments. OY.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, jaaptina said:
8 hours ago, richardp01 said:

Keeping the microRendu in DLNA mode you can use Bubbleupnp to send music from your NAS or from Tidal. Just enter your Tidal login in Bubbleupnp. 

+1 .. convenient and easy (Qobuz for me). I use a Chromecast Audio for Spotify, TuneIn, and Radio Paradise. Best inexpensive (cheap!) solution I found.

• 5 weeks later...

Speaking of frustrations .. I needed to power down my mR for a short time today (don't ask) and, when everything was back up and operational, I got nothing. No sound. I went through all the requisite steps to ensure sound would indeed be happening only to hear more silence. Went through it all again and while everything appeared OK, silence. As a kind of last resort I decided to connect the mR directly to the USB port on my DAC and voilá .. glorious sound! Apparently my USB-SPDIF converter shit the bed. Fortunately, I'm liking the direct connection as much as, if not more, than the converter.

• 3 months later...