IGNORED

Best Hi-Rez Eagles albums ?

Hi all

Glenn Frey's recent passing has reminded me of what a great sounding band the Eagles were and has rekindled my interest in rediscovering their back catalogue. I was brought up listening over and over to my parents' 71-75 Greatest hits on vinyl! happy days... Most of my Eagles music is now either scratched vinyl or mid 90's CDs with low DR. I would be very interested to get people's thoughts on their best sounding albums either hi Rez downloads or vinyl.

RIP Glenn Frey

Cheers

Duncan

my only eagles hi-rez is hotel california. sounds good -- blacker background, greater texture to the instruments vs. original redbook (original redbook pretty good, tho).

Capture.JPG

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

I agree, Hotel California is the best of the bunch. But none of them sound fantastic IMO.

ReadyNAS Ultra/6 stored flac->GigE network->roon->Uptone JS-2->microRendu->W4S Recovery->W4S DAC-2v2 SE>W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp->W4S ST-1000 Amplifer->Von Schweikert VR-44

• 2 weeks later...
I own the full catalog in 24/96 from HD Tracks of the Eagles work and think it sounds great. I do however wish I would have splurged at the time for the 24/192 version looking back on it now.

I believe I have the 24/192 version. Sounds great. Hotel California even beat my DCC vinyl copy, which I think was highly regarded.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Interesting.

At a fellow forum member's house recently, he complained of distortion from his right speaker when playing the Hotel California track at higher volumes. He has a very high end setup and the distortion was particularly bad on the first drum hit but it was clear that there was distortion throughout. As it turns out it was the SACD version, so we compared it with the original CD version where we found no distortion at all.

I then took a look at the track from 4 different album releases in Audacity:

1. Original CD - no clipping (much lower volume)
  2. DCC Gold CD - moderate clipping mostly in right channel
  3. SACD - the red clipping indicator in Audacity almost hides the waveform behind
  4. 24/192 download - almost identical to the SACD

There's nothing wrong with a little bit of clipping but the SACD & hi-res download are over the top. Perhaps at reasonable volumes it is not so noticeable, but I will stick with the DCC Gold or original CD in my system ;)

Hotel California (my subjective rating):

1. DVD-A [24/96]

2. [DCC GZS-1024]

3. RedBook CD (old version)

4. HDtracks collection [24/192]

.. I do not own other versions.

The first three are very good, but the last one can not reach them.

'Desperado' is a good album, too - and 'Hell Freezes Over'.

P.S.: 'Long Road out of Eden' is a recommendation from my side, too. :)