IGNORED

List of artists with official tour live recordings

Hi guys,

As a Rock n Roll fan there is nothing better than hearing Metallica and Pearl Jam live recordings from shows i've attended, so i ask if there are other acts that do this kind of thing. For the moment I only have these guys on my list:

- Metallica

- Pearl Jam

- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Bruce Springsteen has a cool website for live shows, but no releases of every tour date.

Why these recordings? Live releases present the artists at their dirtiest and IMO best selves, with hopefully fewer techniques for sound enhancement. My advice for friends is "instead of buying a greatest hits album, buy a live one"

Not sure what you mean by "official" tour bootlegs, but there's a couple good Gilian Welch/Dave Rawlings shows here. Not sure if this is legal, but the 1996 show that I kept was originally a radio broadcast.

Everything Is Free: A Gillian Welch Fan Site

Official as in "artist released and professionally mixed" recordings. Some acts do this for entire tours.

I wonder i this kind of recording is expensive, as i can imagine big commercial benefits for the artist releasing them. Would think lot's of people that attended, say, a Lady Gaga, U2 or Placido Domingo show at some arena or stadium would love to relive those experiences by downloading and listening to those shows again. That's potentially thousands of albums sold!

Official as in "artist released and professionally mixed" recordings. Some acts do this for entire tours.

I wonder i this kind of recording is expensive, as i can imagine big commercial benefits for the artist releasing them. Would think lot's of people that attended, say, a Lady Gaga, U2 or Placido Domingo show at some arena or stadium would love to relive those experiences by downloading and listening to those shows again. That's potentially thousands of albums sold!

I think that's really why they do it. Grateful Dead puts all of their live releases on Spotify, so many that it's actually somewhat difficult to find the studio albums on their page. I wish pearl jam and others would stream the albums for free, because it's a great advertisement for young people to come see an [somewhat] old band in concert. Perhaps some bands don't do it because they spend so much time doctoring up one show at a time, wether that's because of bad vocals or just wanting it to be perfect. Personally, I'll take it raw, as it was in concert! :^}

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also wish the Pearl Jam boots would be released to Tidal.

I think for other bands to release bootlegs they have to be presented with an easy way to do it and they must be ok with less than perfect performances.

The best example of this is on Pear Jam's live from Benaroya Hall. There is a major f-up on one of the tracks. At the end of the track Eddie Vedder says, "There was no way we were getting away with that one." I love that they didn't retouch it.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I also wish the Pearl Jam boots would be released to Tidal.

I think for other bands to release bootlegs they have to be presented with an easy way to do it and they must be ok with less than perfect performances.

The best example of this is on Pear Jam's live from Benaroya Hall. There is a major f-up on one of the tracks. At the end of the track Eddie Vedder says, "There was no way we were getting away with that one." I love that they didn't retouch it.

Heck, just listened to that one the other day. They also need decent guys running the board, because so many live albums sound like they can from a Nokia microphone in someone's pocket on the back of the upper deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, they messed up Thin Air.

And I haven't forgiven them yet for not releasing Alpine Valley and Wrigley Field.

BTW, downloaded the 24/48 version of the Metallica Llolapalooza 2015 show and it sounds awesome; better than the Pearl Jam HD boots. Funny, the guys that made Death Magnetic would release great sounding bootlegs in a few years!

Yeah, they messed up Thin Air.

And I haven't forgiven them yet for not releasing Alpine Valley and Wrigley Field.

BTW, downloaded the 24/48 version of the Metallica Llolapalooza 2015 show and it sounds awesome; better than the Pearl Jam HD boots. Funny, the guys that made Death Magnetic would release great sounding bootlegs in a few years!

Here is the Thin Air video.

I think Alpine Valley and Wrigley will eventually be released. I was at both and they are concerts I will never forget.

I'll check out that Metallica. Do you have a link?

[video=youtube_share;rl35kTO7iQA]

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

have to admit to being a bit puzzled - how can something that is legit be a bootleg? :)

Here is the Thin Air video.

I think Alpine Valley and Wrigley will eventually be released. I was at both and they are concerts I will never forget.

I'll check out that Metallica. Do you have a link?

[video=youtube_share;rl35kTO7iQA]

was there too!

I always imagined those shows to be released as blu rays of the whole PJ20 festival. I guess it would be a lot of red tape to get through from other artists that participated.

Bruce Springsteen has a cool website for live shows, but no releases of every tour date.

Springsteen did every show from his 2014 tour and plans to do so for every show from his 2016 tour. It is the back catalogue that is incomplete but being added to on a regular basis.

All the classic shows are highlights. For the 2104 tour, check out the setlists and buy from there. That tour featured Tom Morello on guitar, so was a bit different. I personally enjoyed the South African shows.

WOW thanks!

Maybe the one in Virginia Beach or Atlanta; the setlists are great and they are played on an amphitheater, which i believe sound better.

• 4 weeks later...

Update!

While looking for good live music I think I stumbled upon a pattern, so here it goes:

What do artists such as Bruce Springsteeen, Metalllica, Pearl Jam, Greatful Dead and others who release bootlegs have in common?

VARYING SETLISTS!

This past year I have seen acts like Tool, U2, Muse, Rolling Stones, Motley Crue, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, etc etc etc... And, with the exception of Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters, all have had virtually the same setlist throughout the tour. Maybe they spend much energy designing the show to specific songs that they leave little room for improvisation.

Sure, as a Pearl Jam fan I can always expect songs like Alive and Evolution are most likely going to be played, but other than that their setlists are full of surprises.

Update!

While looking for good live music I think I stumbled upon a pattern, so here it goes:

What do artists such as Bruce Springsteeen, Metalllica, Pearl Jam, Greatful Dead and others who release bootlegs have in common?

VARYING SETLISTS!

This past year I have seen acts like Tool, U2, Muse, Rolling Stones, Motley Crue, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, etc etc etc... And, with the exception of Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters, all have had virtually the same setlist throughout the tour. Maybe they spend much energy designing the show to specific songs that they leave little room for improvisation.

Sure, as a Pearl Jam fan I can always expect songs like Alive and Evolution are most likely going to be played, but other than that their setlists are full of surprises.

Wow, good eye! I hadn't thought about why other artists haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet, but this makes a ton of sense.