IGNORED

Very basic home networking question.

Speak of the devil.

I think the primary reason is the phone is using the ethernet jack as its power supply instead of a wall wart. This way, when a fire (in a chemistry department, a significant concern) takes out the power, I can't call 911, and also precludes a conventional ethernet switch. This is called progress.

ive never seen a commercial grade IP phone that doesnt have a port in and a port out.

how else can they sell phones to companies that only have one data point per user? large existing companies would have to pay a fortune just in cabling costs to migrate to ip phones.

its either a 100m or 1gb switch depending on the phone.

and the router i posted has 1gb ports if that is the one you went for.

I think the primary reason is the phone is using the ethernet jack as its power supply instead of a wall wart. This way, when a fire (in a chemistry department, a significant concern) takes out the power, I can't call 911, and also precludes a conventional ethernet switch. This is called progress.
LOL, but if these are real concerns, get a "POE inserter" and wall-wart power supply.

41t8F-LN59L.jpg

I expect the only reason the IP phone is designed to connect between the ethernet jack and the computer is that it is designed for environments in which the network bandwidth is limited, so the IP phone takes priority over the computer. I don't think the phone communicates with or controls the computer, it merely throttles data to the computer when the network bandwidth is insufficient to avoid dropouts in a phone conversation. That's obviously unnecessary given the high bandwidth of the university network. Therefore, I expect there's no need to connect the IP phone to your computer and that you can connect each to a separate ethernet jack.

If you don't have a second ethernet jack located where you can run a wire from it to your desk without someone tripping on it, use an ethernet switch to allow the Mac and phone to share the ethernet connection. Ethernet switches cost almost nothing nowadays.

(mansr already said the same thing a lot more concisely.)

Not really, as phones eat up very little bandwidth- the real work is in the backend switches that prioritize the packet traffic and packet queues. (Quality Of Service)

Mostly the extra port is there for purely physical reasons - not enough available ports, either on the wall, or in the switch hun, or both.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I would really prefer that. What would you recommend?

Depends on the phone switch you are using- almost anything will work with Cisco, and pretty kuch any SIP softphone will work with pretty much any other system. Your IT guys will probably have softphones licensed and ready to deploy, which will save you no end of trouble. :)

Robert A. Heinlein

You're joking, right?

Not at all. I get many fewer Fourier artifacts in my electron density maps when using a huge linear power supply in conjunction with a series of six stacked USB regens between my primary external data storage drive and the main CPU. As an added advantage, it solved one of the main imaging problems in my field. There is simply no other way to account for this, and therefore it is absolutely inconceivable that I am wrong.

ive never seen a commercial grade IP phone that doesnt have a port in and a port out.

This one does.

its either a 100m or 1gb switch depending on the phone

I should check into it, but a colleague just told me they will install a second ethernet jack for me for free if I whine, which is one of my very few natural talents.

and the router i posted has 1gb ports if that is the one you went for.

That one I want for home.

LOL, but if these are real concerns, get a "POE inserter" and wall-wart power supply.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22748[/ATTACH]

I also saw you can get a router/switch that allows for power pass-thru. But I am going to try to get rid of the phone or put it on a separate jack.

Phones really need to go the way of the fax machine.

Depends on the phone switch you are using- almost anything will work with Cisco, and pretty kuch any SIP softphone will work with pretty much any other system. Your IT guys will probably have softphones licensed and ready to deploy, which will save you no end of trouble. :)

Talking with (our) IT guys is kind of like sticking a freshly salted fork into your eye socket and twisting at high RPM.

Talking with (our) IT guys is kind of like sticking a freshly salted fork into your eye socket and twisting at high RPM.

At least they salt the fork to reduce the chance of infection!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Holy Smokes! I need to come out to the West Coast and get hired to run your IT department then. :) Sorry to hear that though.

You might want to reconsider just hooking your iMac in through the phone though - that pretty much says your network connection won't go down when the power goes out, so long as your iMac is on a UPS device.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Holy Smokes! I need to come out to the West Coast and get hired to run your IT department then. :) Sorry to hear that though.

You might want to reconsider just hooking your iMac in through the phone though - that pretty much says your network connection won't go down when the power goes out, so long as your iMac is on a UPS device.

-Paul

Pays better than what the faculty scum get: Network Operations Manager Job in Santa Cruz 95064, California US

But a modest 3 bedroom house here only costs $900K.

(grin) We have been seriously thinking of putting our house up for sale and buying this one, especially after a serious of money-pit expenditures lately. (Think Roof, Kitchen, Bath, Flooring, HVAC, Washer/Dryer, Electrical, Water intrusion, etc. Mostly all high $$ nonsense!) This is in the historic district, only a very short walk from the park surrounding the river. :)

1409 Vine St, Georgetown, TX 78626 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Robert A. Heinlein

Have fun remodeling the kitchen. The rest is really nice. See if they will sell the rug with the house.

I figure it would need between $90K and $120K of renovation before I would be totally happy with it, so it's pretty much not something I am going to do this week. Possibly this decade... we just did an unexpected bath renovation. It's nice now that it is almost finished, but heavens above! Never again, at least not in a house I have to live in while the renovation is ongoing!

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

(grin) We have been seriously thinking of putting our house up for sale and buying this one, especially after a serious of money-pit expenditures lately. (Think Roof, Kitchen, Bath, Flooring, HVAC, Washer/Dryer, Electrical, Water intrusion, etc. Mostly all high $$ nonsense!) This is in the historic district, only a very short walk from the park surrounding the river. :)

1409 Vine St, Georgetown, TX 78626 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

My wife and I looked in this area when we moved to Austin way back when. We looked at a very nice Craftsman style place that I would have bought in a heartbeat but the garage was across the yard and had been converted to storage. I think about that place from time to time.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

I wound up getting something called the EdgeRouter X from Ubiquiti. https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/

It is slightly user-friendly, but quite configurable. You can ssh into it and do anything via command-line. The CLI documentation is over 400 pages. So far I have only just set it up and have managed to get it to issue IP addresses using the same scheme as my Airport Extreme did (it is now in Bridge mode), and I managed to map a bunch of static IP addresses and so far everything works. Now comes the fun part...

At some point I might have to read the instructions, which would suck, since I can't read any more.