IGNORED

DSD256 Playback Mac

Outlaw

I'm getting DSD256 out of my Mac using Audirvana Plus 2.2.4 and an ifi Micro iDSD DAC. No separate drivers installed. (A+ seems to be the only Mac software that can handle DSD256 via DoP--I also have JRiver for Mac, but it converts DSD256 to 176.4 PCM.) The downside is that I get occasional-to-frequent dropouts, which are pretty annoying, to say the least.

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

• 2 years later...

Old topic, but I'm still not clear.

I'm using Roon running on a Mac mini to feed a a Playback Designs MPD-8 DAC. 

The DSD256 file gets converted to to DSD 128 (from 11.29MHz to 5.645 MHz) - The DSD 128 goes in unaffected.

The MPD-8 DAC goes up to DSD 256. In the Roon setting configuration for the MPD-8, max DSD is shown as DSD 128. 

Is this a problem with Roon or with the Mini?

If you are an HQPlayer user, I suggest to go for a Linux based NAA ... Then DAC will be drived by NAA in DSD native mode, in addition to that, NAA can be a small computing device with few working processes compared to default OS X setup.

Have a nice day. Massimiliano

On 11/3/2018 at 4:08 AM, Ipoci said:

If you are an HQPlayer user, I suggest to go for a Linux based NAA ... Then DAC will be drived by NAA in DSD native mode, in addition to that, NAA can be a small computing device with few working processes compared to default OS X setup.

Have a nice day. Massimiliano

Who are you replying to?

No electron left behind.

On 11/3/2018 at 3:45 AM, Cemil said:

Old topic, but I'm still not clear.

I'm using Roon running on a Mac mini to feed a a Playback Designs MPD-8 DAC. 

The DSD256 file gets converted to to DSD 128 (from 11.29MHz to 5.645 MHz) - The DSD 128 goes in unaffected.

The MPD-8 DAC goes up to DSD 256. In the Roon setting configuration for the MPD-8, max DSD is shown as DSD 128. 

neither, it is a result of the way the Mac OS works, the easiest way to play native DSD is to not use a Mac but a dedicated player instead.

Such as this one, then you have to do nothing but plug it in and control it with an iPad or iPhone.

https://wyred4sound.com/products/music-servers/roon-nucleus

No electron left behind.

On 11/3/2018 at 7:45 PM, Cemil said:

From your manual, DSD256 is only supported natively (with Windows using PD's ASIO driver but I believe they also now support native DSD via Linux, but check with PD), not via DoP.

For your DAC (and most DACs) Mac only supports DoP, hence DoP128. So this is a Mac thing in your case, not limited to Roon on your Mac Mini.

If you want DSD256 with your DAC, you need a Windows Roon endpoint with the ASIO driver installed - maybe also Linux now but double check with PD.

You can also check with Sonore if you were interested in an ultraRendu - they have PD customers and may also be able to confirm if native DSD256 works with their custom Linux operating system. I'll tag Jesus from Sonore @vortecjr

604671951_ScreenShot2018-11-07at5_04_22pm.thumb.png.da3118a835b85ec9f3311c8fcf605eca.png

2 hours ago, 57gold said:

What's a Linux based NAA and how does one use one with a Mac Mini?

NAA refers to a HQPlayer 'endpoint'. A bit like Roon uses RAAT (Roon Bridge or Roon Ready) 'endpoints'. If you don't use HQPlayer, don't worry about it.

Thank you very much.

I looked at the microRendu. I don't know if it supports the PD natively; I couldn't find any information on their web site.

Pricing wise, it is pretty close to the new Mac Minis. Would it sound any better ? All that is required from the unit is take the input from Roon core/server via ethernet and feed the Playback Designs DAC.

As a clarification, I am running Roon core/server on the NAS (QNAP). Currently, I'm using an old headless Mac Mini (2012) purely as a renderer/bridge to feed the Playback Designs DAC (mac doesn't do much else). The Mac is nearing the en of its life, so I'm looking for a replacement.