IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Speaking of the remote, it would be even cooler if the remote control receiver identified discrete codes for the different inputs, so a single remote command code switched to any input. This would make the Brooklyn usable with universal remotes such as the Logitech Harmony remotes. Should be easy to add codes for that (and for volume up and down) in a firmware update. If that was available, I would probably be a Brooklyn owner now - without that, the Brooklyn won't pass the WAF criterion.

But 1 yes would be a nice feature. Scrolling with the remote between inputs would be easier, if unused inputs would be left out.

Marc

But you first need to select the menu for the volume and that depends on menu context, right? In other words, there's no single remote control code sequence that always works to increase/decrease volume. Is that correct? I'm not an owner, so my information is based on what I understand from the info spread around, so I'm not sure about this.

Nothing. With the remote you just press up for more, and down for less. Bit hard to recall, hehe.

Marc

I think you are right there. One can configure the brooklyn so that it starts in the simple screen nevertheless. Here you can select left and right for previous and next inputs, and up and down for volume.

One push button will bring you back and forth from the simple screen to the other screen, but there the up, down, left and right mean something very different.

I can imagine that you love to have just one remote lying around, but I can't see how this beautiful Mac remote would harm your WAF.

Marc

Sent from my Lead 1 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Here's why the WAF is harmed. In the Harmony "world", you define activities, for example, "watch dvd", "play CD", "play squeezebox", "watch streamer", etc. For each of these activities, you define which devices need to be turned on and which input is to be selected in each of the devices. Since the stereo set is not used just for computer audio, and the DAC serves more or less as preamp in the sense that it's the main device used for selecting inputs, essentially each of its inputs is used for one of the activities, of which there are quite a few. So, the ladies (that also includes my daughter) currently don't need to know that the squeezebox is connected to COAX2 but the CD is connected to OPT1, etc - they just select the activity and everything just works without memorizing the connectivity chart (which is a bit complex here, as you can imagine). So the Harmony remote is very convenient in that sense - it's not about aesthetics, but more about convenience. Now, the reason it works is that almost all devices in the world exist in the Harmony database, so that the remote code sequences for selecting inputs are known by the remote or can be uploaded into the remote once it's connected to the computer. That includes all the Brooklyn competitors, but the Brooklyn is not in the database. All that needs to be done from Mytek is to add single remote control codes for selecting each of the inputs and to communicate them to Logitech so that the Brooklyn is added to the database, but apparently there isn't enough demand from customers, so it has not been done.

I think you are right there. One can configure the brooklyn so that it starts in the simple screen nevertheless. Here you can select left and right for previous and next inputs, and up and down for volume.

One push button will bring you back and forth from the simple screen to the other screen, but there the up, down, left and right mean something very different.

I can imagine that you love to have just one remote lying around, but I can't see how this beautiful Mac remote would harm your WAF.

Marc

Sent from my Lead 1 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I can see your point here. I just checked the Harmonyze for my Olive 4, but I could not find it. A pity, because that would me make another lover of the Harmony remote. But maybe Mytek will do something in this regard. I can't recall anyone who wanted a mono option on his Brooklyn, and, guess what, there it is in firmware 2.20.

Marc

I am not sure what mastering is for when MQA Enabled is turned off..

or phase now..... playing with phase pos negative I can hear a click but not a change to the music.. I thought more left right channel.. My bad... So nothing on my MR SPEAKERS ETHER...

I did notice one thing changing from HP to Both increases the volume a few decibels... More power to pre out?

Mute works but too fiddly within the menu to be useful.

1 press on Apple remote in screen would be good 1 off... Play pause button...

X 2 faster for standby mode......

I can see a multi remote would be useful..

Cheers all

Dave

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

If there's anyone about to pull the trigger on a Brooklyn, I just happened to notice that MusicDirect has a demo unit (black) for US$1599.

Mytek Brooklyn DAC/Headphone Amp/Preamp (Black) **DEMO** at Music Direct

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Just plugged in a Wyred 4 sound Recovery between the Mac mini and Brooklyn. Amazed at the immediate tightening of the sound, I thought it was pretty good before. Just waiting for my HD Plex supply coming for the Mac and solid state storage. Looks like I'll be saving for another for the Mytek next.

I coincidentally just purchased that 1599 w/ full warranty deal at Music Direct just posted over the weekend although I hadn't seen this post. Seemed like a great price.

I'm primarily going to be using an Aries Mini to start with. I read somewhere that there are restrictions on doing DSD with the brooklyn wrt DSD 256. Will I run into these with the Mini? I'm getting back to the audio scene after some years of not focusing on the developments, so not too familiar with DSD streaming ( I own some SACD's and am in the process of getting them ripped ). Will the playback between the Aries and Brooklyn be DSD/Dop and will I run into the limitation?

I just returned a defective black Brooklyn to them...had a problem with it randomly switching bit rates. Hoping they didn't just throw my bad unit back in the sales pool.

Hope not, but my research on them showed them to be a class act. I would assume that defective units would be sent back to the manufacturer, not resold. They also have demos selling on all products ( inc. the DSD192 ), not just this one. But, if you could elaborate how you reproduced your issue it would help since I can try it out and see if it's the problem one.

Hope not, but my research on them showed them to be a class act. I would assume that defective units would be sent back to the manufacturer, not resold. They also have demos selling on all products ( inc. the DSD192 ), not just this one. But, if you could elaborate how you reproduced your issue it would help since I can try it out and see if it's the problem one.

A song would be playing, and would randomly switch bit rates. Couldn't make it happen on demand, but it happened frequently.

I coincidentally just purchased that 1599 w/ full warranty deal at Music Direct just posted over the weekend although I hadn't seen this post. Seemed like a great price.

I'm primarily going to be using an Aries Mini to start with. I read somewhere that there are restrictions on doing DSD with the brooklyn wrt DSD 256. Will I run into these with the Mini? I'm getting back to the audio scene after some years of not focusing on the developments, so not too familiar with DSD streaming ( I own some SACD's and am in the process of getting them ripped ). Will the playback between the Aries and Brooklyn be DSD/Dop and will I run into the limitation?

I use the Aries Femto, but essentially it works the same. For DSD you have to use DOP (so enable this in the Lightning DS software). In the beta firmware 4 update 6 (of the Aries) you can play DSD files natively.

There should be no difference in sound quality either playing natively or through DOP. Playing DSD64, 128 or 256 goes smoothly without limitations.

Robert-Jan