IGNORED

Does El Capitan drop FireWire driver support?

Received an email from Apogee that legacy FireWire buss interfaces will not be supported in ElCapitan 10.11.

Does this indicate Apple is dropping FireWire support?

This may mean I am at the end of Apple software OS development. Many still run Leopard and even Tiger. I can live with 10.10 Apple.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Received an email from Apogee that legacy FireWire buss interfaces will not be supported in ElCapitan 10.11.

This may mean I am at the end of Apple software OS development. Many still run Leopard and even Tiger. I can live with 10.10 Apple.

This would be a problem for me. However, this seems to indicate it is fine:

The OWC Guide for Upgrading Your Mac to OS X El Capitan

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

This is a decision Apogee has made, not a limitation of El Capitan. And I have a Apogee Duet so I am less than pleased at Apogee. However I understand they are probably doing this to start end of life for some of their product line.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

On mini 2012 I did not have any issues: FW400 drive still mounts, Roon works fine, etc.

On mac pro 2010, major issues with USB: Logitech USB mouse is jumpy (to the point of unusability), USB3 card no longer seen, just a fecking mess. They have implemented a new USB policy and the web is flooded with USB issues. I will image back my macpro to Yosemite (thankfully I'm a crazy person when it come to backups).

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

On mini 2012 I did not have any issues: FW400 drive still mounts, Roon works fine, etc.

On mac pro 2010, major issues with USB: Logitech USB mouse is jumpy (to the point of unusability), USB3 card no longer seen, just a fecking mess. They have implemented a new USB policy and the web is flooded with USB issues. I will image back my macpro to Yosemite (thankfully I'm a crazy person when it come to backups).

Who says you are crazy to make backups? Anyone who updates their OSX without the safety net of a previous, stable version is the crazy one. I'm still running OSX 10.6.8 on my office iMac, and 10.9.1 on my music computer. I see no advantage in blindly installing the latest OSX updates, knowing that third party apps, drivers, or peripheral hardware may no longer function. Some folks say the newer operating systems have better SQ. With ever-increasing numbers of background processes and threads running, and no claimed improvements to Core Audio by Apple itself, I'm skeptical.

Who says you are crazy to make backups? Anyone who updates their OSX without the safety net of a previous, stable version is the crazy one. I'm still running OSX 10.6.8 on my office iMac, and 10.9.1 on my music computer. I see no advantage in blindly installing the latest OSX updates, knowing that third party apps, drivers, or peripheral hardware may no longer function. Some folks say the newer operating systems have better SQ. With ever-increasing numbers of background processes and threads running, and no claimed improvements to Core Audio by Apple itself, I'm skeptical.

Well I'm a bit of a nutcase when it comes to backups. But it's served me well.

system pics

... I'm still running OSX 10.6.8 on my office iMac, and 10.9.1 on my music computer. I see no advantage in blindly installing the latest OSX updates, knowing that third party apps, drivers, or peripheral hardware may no longer function. Some folks say the newer operating systems have better SQ. With ever-increasing numbers of background processes and threads running, and no claimed improvements to Core Audio by Apple itself, I'm skeptical.

+1 :)

I will image back my macpro to Yosemite (thankfully I'm a crazy person when it come to backups).

Next time you're installing a new OS, I recommend you put it into a new partition on the boot drive so you have a dual-boot system. That way, you can switch back to the old OS by simply rebooting with the Alt/Option key held down to get a choice of bootable volumes.

Next time you're installing a new OS, I recommend you put it into a new partition on the boot drive so you have a dual-boot system. That way, you can switch back to the old OS by simply rebooting with the Alt/Option key held down to get a choice of bootable volumes.

Good idea. I figured out my problem: a USB3 card that's no longer supported. Removing it cleared all issues. Have another one coming, we'll see if it works.

system pics

+1

Mytek DAC still works with Firewire, using Apple's Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapter...

I will clone a copy of the hard drive before upgrading. I am concerned my KRK Ergo driver is not compatable with El Capitan.

Works fine with Yosemite. But it is also running off the Thunderbolt port with an Apple TB to FW adapter.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Well it works fine with older drivers. Updated to El Capitan and my old FW doc seems to be working fine. Even started Digital Room Correction and it is functional. The last email from Apogee madfe it sound like Apple was dropping FW drivers. It seems Agogee is the one dropping support.

Did use Super Duper to have a bootable drive with Yosemite.

My old Ergo's will run for a little longer.