IGNORED

Auralic Aries as a RoonSpeaker?

I have one of these in the box in the closet (extreme version). Could use it as a RoonSpeaker...

When?

Thx!

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

As far as I've been answered on the Auralic FB group, they are waiting for Roon team to settle on the code of roon itself...

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

• 1 month later...
As far as I've been answered on the Auralic FB group, they are waiting for Roon team to settle on the code of roon itself...

Does somebody have any further news / rumors? I'm on the second of 14 days of evalution, and I must say that the Roon interface is quite addictive. I first tried using Roon w/Airplay on my Aries. Due to stability problems, I'm now playing with Roon->AppleTV3->TOSlink->DAC, but in both cases, sq is subpar. So native Aries support for Roon would be very nice.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I get an incompatible device error message when I try to download the Roon app to my iPad 2...

Mike

Of course you do. It's not compatible.

Our iPad remote requires Roon 1.1. Updated desktop and Android apps are released today, as we saw no reason to hold back the 1.1 release on our other supported platforms. We hope for speedy final approval from Apple, and truly appreciate everyone's patience.

We will let everyone know when the app has been approved, at which point it will be available in the App Store for all iPads with OpenGL ES 3.0 support: iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, and iPad Mini 3.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-1-1-is-live/3200

I tried to search for an answer on the following topic at the roon community without success;

Given the fact that the new iPad Pro chip is as powerful as the MS Surface platform - is there any plans of hosting the roon server under IOS? I just hate to run another headless server (PC). I want a PC-free listening environment without 'daily' OS updates.

I understand that roon currently is not utilizing the iPad Pro native resolution when used as a control point.

I tried to search for an answer on the following topic at the roon community without success;

Given the fact that the new iPad Pro chip is as powerful as the MS Surface platform - is there any plans of hosting the roon server under IOS? I just hate to run another headless server (PC). I want a PC-free listening environment without 'daily' OS updates.

I understand that roon currently is not utilizing the iPad Pro native resolution when used as a control point.

I assume you have a NAS to store your music ... it has to be stored somewhere.

Anyway Roon say they are working on running the "server" on NAS devices. You'd then have a simple Roon Speaker device connected to your DAC.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Thanks, Eloise - Valid point.

Yes, I have a NAS with my music library (Synology 713+ running Minimserver).

I am not sure I have great confidence in the NAS solution for a bigger library.

Roon requires quite some juice according to their own statement.

I believe the Elac solution will be the remedy. We will see at CES.

Roon requires quite some juice according to their own statement.

I thought the major part of the "juice" was for running the UI rather than the server component.

I think it's a bit early to really say... Wait until things like Roon Speakers and Roon for Linux (and therefore NAS) are actually available.

Eloise

---

Interesting that an SDK for Roon's streaming mechanism, RAAT, will soon be available to manufacturers. So Auralic should at last have the Roon interface code they were waiting for.

Even more interesting, perhaps, is the Roon core server's confirmed built-in support for Squeezebox devices. Roon's CTO has even said that there's a chance it may be in the next major release, planned for this month:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/squeezebox-support/1043/103

Odd that Roon are able to provide native support for Squeezebox's legacy streaming mechanism, but have stated that they have no plans for the same for UPnP/DLNA, claiming some technical issues that they didn't feel able to overcome. Odd that, seeing as there's already a Squeeze2UPnP bridge coded by one of the Squeezebox community developers, so no such 'problems' going from Squeezebox to UPnP then!

So there may yet be a way to get the Aries to be a Rune endpoint via UPnP, afterall (and no need to wait for Auralic to implement RAAT) - as an emulated Squeezebox using Squeeze2UPnP:

Announce: UPnPBridge = integrate UPnP/DLNA players with LMS (squeeze2upnp)

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I am not too worried about the Roon speaker implementation.

I think it will come eventually to many top ranked renderers.

Lumin will soon release theirs.

It is Roon server that bothers me, but if it runs smootly on a NAS (Linux) hooked up to a control point over wifi, then it sounds promising.

I also hope Roon has a metadata editor up their sleeves.

Just a heads up for everyone here at CA. Last week Roon released it's much awaited Software Developer Kit to a first batch of undisclosed hardware manufacturers. We should start seeing firmware to make network devices RoonReady in a month or two. I'm going to make a wild guess that Auralic will be among that group.

• 2 weeks later...