IGNORED

Sound Galleries Music Server

Here is a nice report on Part Time Audiophile

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/05/27/high-end-2016-sound-galleries-dsd-512/

Matthias Brontzman during last year's Munich High End would visit our demo cabin 3 times every day, all 4 days.

This year, he came during the public session, and was there for the event as well. Matthias is my go to source for what's sounding good at Munich High End, and what's sounding not so good.

Matthias' report does capture the emotional bond we experience with the music when we are format converting and upsampling to DSD 512. Even more amazing is that we can achieve this level of musical / emotional playback with Roon 1.2 with Tidal streaming.

On a historical note we found Roon 1.1's Tidal streaming absolutely unlistenable, we would turn it off after 10 seconds

Kodi's Qobuz client feeding to HQ Player was always the streaming quality champion, but now Roon 1.2 to HQP has closed the gap, and it's very difficult to discern a SQ difference between the Qobuz and Tidal

Pretty amazing that today we can get this level of music realism and emotion coming down the internet for a little more than the cost of a CD per month

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

It would take a long time to save 16000 euros at that rate...

Abt 67 years relying on CD savings

However, when you pair the SGM with the T+A DAC 8 DSD, then we are under Euro 19 K and under US $ 20 k and the sound quality achieved is a level above some very prestigous PCM/DSD 128 DAC's that cost a lot more when combined with a good bit perfect player / server, the SGM at DSD 512 is quite a value.

The Taiko Kodo power amps are an amazing value for the sound quality they deliver

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

Congratulations on a great writeup , Ed. And many more.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Abt 67 years relying on CD savings

However, when you pair the SGM with the T+A DAC 8 DSD, then we are under Euro 19 K and under US $ 20 k and the sound quality achieved is a level above some very prestigous PCM/DSD 128 DAC's that cost a lot more when combined with a good bit perfect player / server, the SGM at DSD 512 is quite a value.

The Taiko Kodo power amps are an amazing value for the sound quality they deliver

We see 3 similar cases, 2 on top and one on the bottom. isn't the SGM just one case?

We see 3 similar cases, 2 on top and one on the bottom. isn't the SGM just one case?

we had 3 servers with us, as 2 were going down to Monaco after the event. When we unpacked the audio rack from Creaktiv, we realized we had made a mistake, and it was 4 helves high instead of 3 !

So we had to fill the shelves, and we were able to use the 2 spare servers

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

Hi Ed:

I've been following this thread since the beginning, and while perhaps my memory is failing (seems to these days as I have too much on my mind every moment), I don't recall reading any details about your server's USB output itself. Are you using someone's custom card or doing anything for isolated and improved signal integrity? If not, then we should talk again, as we have some new cooking that might be rather appropriate.

Best,

--Alex C.

Hi Ed:

I've been following this thread since the beginning, and while perhaps my memory is failing (seems to these days as I have too much on my mind every moment), I don't recall reading any details about your server's USB output itself. Are you using someone's custom card or doing anything for isolated and improved signal integrity? If not, then we should talk again, as we have some new cooking that might be rather appropriate.

Best,

--Alex C.

Hi Alex,

We have tested a lot of the USB devices, and so far they don't help the SGM's delivery of data over USB

However we eagerly await the new creation from Uptone !

The SGM mobo power supply, is very much a homage to John Swenson and his championing choke power supplies for PC's ! The SGM has two chokes weighing about 3.6 Kgs each

Best Regards,

Ed

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

I just found this posted on 6Moons.

6moons audioreviews: Munich HighEnd 2016 with Marja & Henk

Looking foreword to when they (and several others) get to report on the system.

As they say Ed, break a leg.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Boy, I am on a roll here.

Thanks Chris. I hope there is more.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Very interesting post from Priaptor today

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/new-meridian-ultra-digital-analogue-converter-28762/#post548625

Sure we have been convinced of this for quite a while, but it's confidence building to have third party confirmation.

BTW we have always heard significant SQ differences between DOP and Native DSD. The overhead of the DOP container comes with its sonic penalty, we found no way around it, and stopped looking for solutions

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

On a historical note we found Roon 1.1's Tidal streaming absolutely unlistenable, we would turn it off after 10 seconds

Kodi's Qobuz client feeding to HQ Player was always the streaming quality champion, but now Roon 1.2 to HQP has closed the gap, and it's very difficult to discern a SQ difference between the Qobuz and Tidal

Pretty amazing that today we can get this level of music realism and emotion coming down the internet for a little more than the cost of a CD per month

And it's amazing that we can now listen to Stereo DSD 128 music over the Internet using PrimeSeat. :)

PrimeSeat

【On-demand】Blue Coast Records Live in the Studio | LIVE | PrimeSeat

Jenna & Alex: Live Concert Broadcast in DSD - Positive Feedback

And it's amazing that we can now listen to Stereo DSD 128 music over the Internet using PrimeSeat. :)

PrimeSeat

【On-demand】Blue Coast Records Live in the Studio | LIVE | PrimeSeat

Jenna & Alex: Live Concert Broadcast in DSD - Positive Feedback

Yes, I just heard it yesterday at Sound Galleries !

DSD 128 streaming of native DSD material is very enjoyable indeed

Look at the care and attention Cookie & Co paid to the recording venue !

But for the old PCM lead tracks, we need HQ Player to do its magic and transform them to DSD 512 Gold

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

Yes, I just heard it yesterday at Sound Galleries !

DSD 128 streaming of native DSD material is very enjoyable indeed

Look at the care and attention Cookie & Co paid to the recording venue !

Yes, fine sound even streamed over the Internet at DSD 64 and DSD 128 Stereo. And that allows for real time upsampling to DSD 256 and DSD 512 I imagine.

Love it. :)

And it's amazing that we can now listen to Stereo DSD 128 music over the Internet using PrimeSeat.

Too bad they don't offer standard HTTP streaming for the content...

From technical point of view, there's nothing amazing. But of course it is nice. Wish Tidal would offer DSD content too.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Linzbach in Bonn, is a high end dealership of dreams, a 150 (?) year old brick mansion, high ceilings, six listening rooms and best of the best vinyl and digital equipment from around the world.

The SGM was set up in a system with Electrocompaniet electronics and Marten speakers.

The owners of Linzbach are in two camps, and they defend their respective digital and analog territories with passion.

The demo started with Christian, the digital guy, but as the sound of DSD 512 permiated through the mansion, all the staff, plus a good customer came into the room.

The comments were

- there must be a turntable inside the SGM box, where are you hiding it ?

- sensational

- how can this level of sound quality be coming from Redbook ?

One of the tracks I played was Die Tanzerin, sung by Ulla Meineke, a very up beat, foot tapping German pop song from the 80's which has great dynamics. As luck would have it, a customer brought in the CD to play two days earlier, and Christian had a clear recollection of the OK sound. Christian was absolutely floored by the musical, dynamic and "sensational" delivery of the sound by the SGM > T+A DAC 8 DSD. The same source bits, but what came out from the speakers was sonically completely on another level

image.jpg

The room had nice acoustics, and I took the opportunity to play a lot of classical tracks.

The low noise floor of the SGM, and the timing precision of the OCXO, really shows up in the clarity of the string section of the orchestra, exquisite IMHO

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

So the secret is finally out...there is a turntable hidden inside the SGM, lol.

damn, Ed get that "turntable" OFF the floor.

Congrats

Sound Test USA

[email protected]