IGNORED

New Bowers and Wilkins 800 series...

Could you entertain us with your flawed reasoning?

It seemed pretty logical to me however:

This (site) isn't (just) about "computer speakers" though. It's about using a computer as part of a high quality audio system. In this respect its a source no different to a CD player or turntable.

Ironically, Audio_ELF has "trouble maker" below their alias

I'm just suggesting you should formulate and post your own ideas, not just obscure context-free quotes, photos and videos that make it look like a spam-bot has hijacked your account.

Oh, now you have done it. On fanboy's ignore list with 99.99% of the CA-ers...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Patrick,

Thank you very much for your time and input on this website! What is the minimum listening distance for the 801D to have really good driver alignment?

One more question, the new HTM1D3 is about the same size as the HTM2D2, and yet it's got much bigger woofers and significantly higher power handling too. It must sound amazing! Is it also, massively better than the HTM2D2 like the rest of the D3 series? Is it available yet (as of Jan 28, 2016)? Thanks again! :-)

-Brian

The minimum listening distance for 802D2 or 802D3 would be 9' 10". That is where all the drivers align. You can listen further away if wished (and some definitely do,) but considerably closer will result in the drivers not aligning to their full potential.

Regards,

Patrick

B&W Group North America

Hi Brian,

While I don't have an exact number, I would expect it to be somewhere between 9-10 ft at a minimum. Beyond that distance you are fine- everything is aligned. Unless you are much closer to the speakers than 9 ft (4 as an example) other things in the setup are likely to dominate the presentation.

HTM1D3. I've not heard one. They are currently shipping in small quantities. The drivers are all sourced from the 802D3, and based on what I've heard from the entire series, I have no reason to believe that they HTM1D2 won't crush the HTM2D2 in performance.

Best Regards,

Patrick

B&W Group North America

Hello Patrick,

Thank you very much for your time and input on this website! What is the minimum listening distance for the 801D to have really good driver alignment?

One more question, the new HTM1D3 is about the same size as the HTM2D2, and yet it's got much bigger woofers and significantly higher power handling too. It must sound amazing! Is it also, massively better than the HTM2D2 like the rest of the D3 series? Is it available yet (as of Jan 28, 2016)? Thanks again! :-)

-Brian

Patrick,

Thanks again, one last question I promise! Will B&W bring back the awesome 801 in D3 form? There is something about that big, single bass driver. Even the 802D2 just doesn't pop like the old 801D does in the bass. The timing, the bass resolution it SO good with the 801D. Granted the mid/top is much faster and more detailed on the 802D2/800D2, and I'm sure the 802D3/800D3 even more so... Have you heard the excellent bass characteristics of the 801D? Does the 800D3 surpass it in bass detail, bass snap? OK I promise to stop bothering you. :-) Have a great weekend.

-B

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

There are no plans to bring back the 801. Personally I prefer huge bass drivers. They do a great job of cracking the proverbial whip on the bottom end. That said, the market for speakers with really big bass drivers declined precipitously. Thank you HGTV. I've heard 801D, and they are a great speaker.

While I've not heard 800D3 (they are not yet shipping) I have heard 802D3 extensively. The bass snap and detail is much better than 801D. Not sure they have quite the gravitas (power/weight) down low, but I'd happily trade that for a superior design in every other regard. Bring on the 800D3!

Regards,

Patrick

B&W Group North America

Patrick,

Thanks again, one last question I promise! Will B&W bring back the awesome 801 in D3 form? There is something about that big, single bass driver. Even the 802D2 just doesn't pop like the old 801D does in the bass. The timing, the bass resolution it SO good with the 801D. Granted the mid/top is much faster and more detailed on the 802D2/800D2, and I'm sure the 802D3/800D3 even more so... Have you heard the excellent bass characteristics of the 801D? Does the 800D3 surpass it in bass detail, bass snap? OK I promise to stop bothering you. :-) Have a great weekend.

-B

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

There are no plans to bring back the 801. Personally I prefer huge bass drivers. They do a great job of cracking the proverbial whip on the bottom end. That said, the market for speakers with really big bass drivers declined precipitously. Thank you HGTV. I've heard 801D, and they are a great speaker.

While I've not heard 800D3 (they are not yet shipping) I have heard 802D3 extensively. The bass snap and detail is much better than 801D. Not sure they have quite the gravitas (power/weight) down low, but I'd happily trade that for a superior design in every other regard. Bring on the 800D3!

Regards,

Patrick

B&W Group North America

Are there any videos on the making of the series?

Jesus R

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that these videos somewhat justify the high retail price of the 800 series. The attention to detail, building materials and methods and the technology involved is impressive.

But I think that the performance does not follow suit.

Is the 'voicing' of high-end products that much of a (marketing) necessity?

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yes' date=' simply, my earlier resolution to ignore entity [b']semente[/b]​ still holds.

Be sure to ignore him specifically every time he's posting. You need not do that for me however. Thanks.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Entity Dennis, you are doomed.

Is it worse to be ignored or doomed in this thread?

You can give me the answer as you are being ignored and Wilhelm will set never set it.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Very cool to see the production videos. Still sometimes miss my 704s.

I have been quite impressed with the videos, and the changes that have been made for Series 3 seem to make sense from an engineering standpoint. However, there is a major cost increase which may or may not be commensurate with the SQ improvement. Last weekend I had the opportunity to listen to a pair of 803 D3 in a system consisting of an Ayre VX-R amp, Ayre KX-5 Twenty preamp, playing CD's as source (I was auditioning the KX-5 Twenty). The system sounded very good, very transparent and involving. Listening to the second movement of Barber's Violin Concerto gave me goosebumps. The vertical axis of the speakers was not correct, we were sitting too low, so I think with proper alignment there would be a bit more high frequency energy. Nevertheless, what I heard would definitely make me have another listen if I was in the market.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I tilt my 802D3s slightly downward by jacking up the rear spike a bit.

That's exactly what I do with my 802 D2's, 1.5 degrees of forward tilt snaps the soundstage into coherency. Not a subtle difference!

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond