IGNORED

ECdesigns

14 hours ago, hopkins said:

P. S. @bodiebill In a client/server configuration (LMS, Roon, UPNP...) where the server and client are on two different PCs I would be curious to know if different server configurations give different results when using wifi. My assumption is that it should not. 

I assume it would make a difference as now (with ethernet) I can hear the difference between different audio players on my control PC (server). Why would this difference disappear when using WiFi?

audio system

15 hours ago, hopkins said:

I would still like to find a cheaper power supply option, and may end up selling the Keces if I do.

Coincidentally (?) I also sold my Keces.

I also have good experience with this:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000465696792.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1fc36ea5JM2nUk&algo_pvid=d161c048-962f-46e9-bfa1-61d69c0c77f4&algo_expid=d161c048-962f-46e9-bfa1-61d69c0c77f4-1&btsid=0be3764515972354049026281ea95a&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

It is good for 2A. You just need to feed it with a simple 6 or 7VDC LPSU and this cheap combo performs like a high end PS.

audio system

11 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Maybe because using a wired network, noise from the connected devices propagate through the cables up to the player ? This is what is trying to be fixed with all the hype about audiophile network devices... Honestly, I don't understand any of it. But you can read John Swenson's white paper and see if it makes sense to you...

I was not talking about the difference between ethernet and wifi, but about audible difference between two audio players that run on the server. I cannot imagine that this difference would disappear by switching from ethernet to wifi. And if it would it would mean that wifi is not as good as ethernet 🙂

audio system

20 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Two bit-perfect players can sound diffeent because they are designed differently, and when run generate different activity on the computer and therefore different interference "spectrum". If that computer is connected somehow to the U192, through a "wire" - the interferences may have an incidence. If the connection is wireless, you don't have that problem (but you may have others).

What do you mean by 'incidence' in this context?

The question is whether the audible difference between the players is due to the source or to the whole topology.

For instance, we would agree that a 24/96 version and an mp3 version of the same material will always sound different, whether via ethernet or wifi. We do not even want them to sound the same or we would suspect the audio system to be faulty or low-res.

For now I am assuming that the players difference is of this type. But I am open to other explanations.

PS: Sorry, I read to fast... You assume both players (JRiver and Upplay) are bit perfect. Maybe that was not the case when I compared.

audio system

6 hours ago, hopkins said:

Yes, I was not referring to differences in the source format, but differences in noise "spectrum" linked to the configuration (hardware, OS, application) of the server/player.  

Interesting. So one question is: what is the definition of 'source' in the context of 'source independence'. Apparently the 'source format' is not part of it.

Or another question: will two audio players on the server in a server-client setup always sound the same if both spit out bit perfect streams and supposing the ECD combo is used?

(Which could be a different way of asking whether such an audio player belongs to the 'source' in the above sense.)

Not saying that I know the answers, but I like these simple questions because the whole subject matter -- and I agree with @hopkins there -- is too complex to jump to hasty conclusions.

May the ... be with you...

audio system

41 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Bit-perfect playback is simply a pre-requisite. 

I know that this is an axiom in the ECD system of thinking. However I have heard some report that they prefer to upsample redbook to 24/96, for instance offline, or on the fly using minimserver. They find this makes a positive difference for SQ. Is that really impossible?

audio system

2 minutes ago, hopkins said:

If you are not satisfied with you DIY computer, maybe just do like Huubster and get something like an Innuous and call it a day? 

I was satisfied with it, but with the ECD combo I hardly hear a difference with my new NUC (untweaked other than PS). so I am now using the latter. In that sense, I did call it a day 🙂

(HDPlex 800W DC-ATX and Apacer ECC wide temperature RAM already have other happy owners thanks to ECD.)

audio system

10 minutes ago, hopkins said:

When you have a complex  problem to solve its good to break it down  and be able to discard some of the variables involved to pinpoint more precisely the real issues - avoid comparing apples and oranges. That's what I meant by "prerequisite". 

That makes sense. It is one way to get rid of one of the variables.

By the way, I am trying wifi on my NUC, but so far not successfully with GentooPlayer...

audio system

1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

I know how hard it is to give up endlessly tweaking, trying new things and reading about it, as this is a fun and big part of this hobby.

Actually for me this was a relief, especially as I suspected some (certainly not all!) of the perceived results of PC tweaking to be wishful thinking. Of course I wanted to hear the benefits of Apacer ECC wide temperature RAM, but did I ever really?

audio system

On 8/11/2020 at 11:57 PM, hopkins said:

P. S. @bodiebill In a client/server configuration (LMS, Roon, UPNP...) where the server and client are on two different PCs I would be curious to know if different server configurations give different results when using wifi. My assumption is that it should not. 

Today I got wifi to work with GentooPlayer (mpd+upmpdcli). I switched back and forth a few times between LAN (WLAN deactivated in NUC BIOS) and wifi (LAN deactivated) to listen to tracks sent from Upplay (using minimserver) from the server. I definitely prefer ethernet above wifi in my setup. With wifi high solo violin sounds too strident.

audio system

Today I replaced an SBooster 19V LPS with a Paul Hynes SR4 to power the NUC. The difference is subtle but present. Not so much less stridency (usually my main thing), but more ease, relexation and quiet. It will stay in.

Actually I would not call this tweaking, rather replacing a key device in the chain. Although admittedly I had to fabricate a DIY DC cable for it. 🙂

Also, I got Spotify to work with GentooPlayer and was surprised at how good this sounds. Not nearly as good as the original wav files from my library though.

All this with the ECD combo in the chain of course.

audio system

30 minutes ago, Norton said:

For me though it’s the DAC here that’s the “crown jewels”.

But this DAC will never utter a single sound without the U192ETL + ElectroTos cable. So I guess the comparison would be between other R2R DAC's and this threesome (which, as some have pointed out, could or should have been one box to begin with).

Viewed like this, the ECD combo (some achievement!) beats my Terminator when fed with usb.

However, the Terminator has other tricks up its sleeve which are at least at the same level. But the comparison then becomes blurry / between apples and pears (SD transport, I2S etc.).

audio system

4 hours ago, hopkins said:

You can use this type of cable as well to provide clean  power to the U192 seperately from the USB source: https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/cables-usb-hubs/cable-separateur-jack-dc-55-21mm-femelle-vers-usb-c-male-femelle-pour-alimentation-et-donnees-20cm-p-14052.html

This one has the advantage that one would still be able to use a preferred usb cable (if such a thing still exists in ECD world). A disadvantage is the need for two converters: one usb-A to usb-C and one vice versa. Because of that I might opt for the usb-A to usb-A version of the iFi iPurifier+. 

audio system

8 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

This is a usb extension cable that uses fiber optics for data to enable longer distances and minimize noise. I use a similar one for attaching my external usb drive to the NUC. Works well and improves SQ.

The monoprice one does have an optional power connection, but this is at the PC end, so I am a little puzzled how the power could travel through fiber to the U192?

audio system