IGNORED

ECdesigns

12 minutes ago, matthias said:

19 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Thanks. I don't think there is any way to feed your SDTrans into the U96ETL. 

I was rather thinking of an external converter / DDC: I2S to USB. Unlike the opposite direction, this seems rare. There may be some studio devices doing that involving AES. I think I will let it go... 🙂

audio system

38 minutes ago, matthias said:

IMO, the most interesting comparisons are:

ECD combo vs U192ETL + Termi vs Termi solo

All with USB as input and different sources for comparison

With PC/USB source I already prefer the ECD combo to U192ETL + Termi.

However 'Termi solo' can work with other sources that are less flawed* than USB (such as SD transports with I2S), so I need to extend the comparison with those.

For instance SD transport + Termi is a winner, perhaps ex aequo with the ECD combo (need more time to let it sink in).

Hence my interest to listen to the ECD combo with I2S -- which may be impossible 😐

Currently it feels like comparing apples and pears, although they both taste delicious.

Also hard this way (having to change sources) to pinpoint the links in the chain that make the difference. 

* The ECD combo corrects these flaws -- including network noise -- to a large extent, but it would be interesting to hear that combo with a source that does not have these flaws. Network can easily be omitted, but usb seems a prerequisite for the ECD combo.

audio system

19 minutes ago, matthias said:

Since you are considering "noise" only:

The "magic" of a server is preventing "noise" which is much superior than reducing "noise".

I would be happy if they achieve really "source independence". 

'Source independence' is ambiguous if we do not specify what we mean by source. For instance, we could split up what comes before the DAC as

(1) music file + (2) software + (3) connections + (4) player hardware (just an example).

I think we will all agree that there will never be source independence from (1).

Neither do I think from (2).

Possibly (although I have my doubts) from (3) or (4).

An important role of a good music renderer (4) is to combat the noise introduced by (3).

However -- alas -- (4) can in its turn also introduce noise itself.

I agree that preventing noise (such as by skipping network or usb connections) is easier than reducing/mitigating it.

audio system

10 hours ago, tapatrick said:

So I decided the best results are

B - UC250 USB cable into U192 plus 5V USB injection from Paul Hynes SR4 
and 
G - Clean 5V power to DAC from Paul Hynes SR4

Thanks @tapatrick, very interesting, also because one would expect the LT3045's to reduce noise and apparently you find the actually worsen the sound.

Alas I cannot fully replicate the results as my SR4's lowest setting is 9V 😐

What do you use for DC cable? I am asking as the USB type B is not common for DC.

audio system

4 hours ago, tapatrick said:

For DC cables I use long trails of dual cat ethernet cables and PoE but that's a whole other kettle of fish... :)

There are lots of threads on this especially promoted and pioneered by the late Tubelover2 on US Audiomart. 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/42959-iso-regen-performance-improvement-cheap/

At some point I will maybe take them all out (the back of my rack is a real spaghetti junction!) and try more generic DC cables to see if they still make the difference they originally did in the past. I'm really not sure these lengths are needed now with the EC combo...

Sorry, I should have asked: how do you terminate with an usb type B connector?

audio system

4 minutes ago, hopkins said:

It looks  like a match between the Terminator and the Terminator :)

That is not how I experience it. I hear that the ECD combo has qualities that in some way surpass the Terminator, so it is more about the source. The SDTrans384 is a glorious source but alas it does not speak with the ECD combo 😐  

audio system

21 minutes ago, matthias said:

Can you compare SPDIF vs. Toslink with U192ETL and Terminator?

The SDTrans384 and the PC do not have SPDIF (unless I connect my old Audiophileo which I am not inclined to do)

The HX500 does do SPDIF but I already found that it performs slightly better with I2S.

Or do you mean with the U192ETL in the chain, i.e. are you referring to the protocols? In that case wouldn't that be E versus F? 

What about removing the Iso Regen in configuration F?

The difference between with and without the ISO Regen is much less than before the ECD combo was added. However, I still prefer with. Source independence in this respect has decreased but not disappeared.

audio system

6 minutes ago, matthias said:

This is an interesting data point.

Just for comparison:

AFAIK, with the Taiko Extreme all USB reclockers etc and endpoints downstream did sound inferior than without these devices.

'Data point' may be saying too much as it is probably a matter of taste. The sound is slightly clearer without and slightly warmer/rounder with the ISO Regen. I am a sucker for warmth.

audio system

31 minutes ago, matthias said:

I mean IIUC you tried only Toslink between U192ETL and Terminator.

Maybe SPDIF does sound better?

Maybe I misunderstood. The ECdesigns website says about the U192ETL:

"The USB translator supports both, standard S/PDIF and low jitter ElectroTos protocols. It can be used with existing DACs (S/PDIF protocol) or our new Fractal DAC (ElectroTos low jitter protocol)."

I thought it required the ElectroTos cable with the distinction that it works with the SPDIF protocol in case of a non-ECD DAC and with the ElectroTos 'low jitter' protocol in case of an ECD DAC,

I did not even know it was allowed to connect a normal (symmetrical) SPDIF cable, but if that would work, there would be no optical isolation involved.

Of course I could try...

audio system

39 minutes ago, hopkins said:

The only entry in your chart with both the U192 and the Fractal DAC is a configuration where you use wtfplay. I assume basic streaming is "subpar" and did not make it on your chart.

Correct. Based on the disappointing result with streaming to the GentooPlayer PC with U192ETL and the Terminator (E) compared to wtfplay with the same (G), I did define an option H (see pic) but have not tried it yet. I will try it when I have the time.

image.thumb.png.f34ea1b67aac288d32c7a8ab7375a505.png

Of course I am not discarding streaming based on just this one setup with GentooPlayer, but I admit I am less motivated to further explore streaming based on my initial impressions.

I find it interesting that the HX500 does a much better job with streaming (C). I do not have an immediate explanation for this other than that the HX500 has a much lower footprint than any (oversized) PC.

audio system

1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

I see you tried the IsoRegen - I couldn't get mine to show up when inserted with EC combo, but I have found it to temperamental depending on what's in the chain. Not a biggie now but might try again to see if there is any difference/benefit.

In my case it does not 'show up' either, but neither does it hide the U192ETL when powered on, so it is part of the chain. 

audio system

1 hour ago, Ben75 said:

what is the interest of the DSD according to your ears? 😉

It seems to me that 24bot in 96kHz is already the top of the sound quality, isnt’t it?

DSD has a major : size... it is so heavy, like Wave files!

I used to convert everything to DSD as my previous DAC's DSD circuit was much better than its PCM circuit. It was a Lampizator Lite/Big 7 hybrid.

The Terminator that I am now using has a gorgeous PCM circuit, so I no longer convert flac files to DSD. I understand the Terminator upsamples all PCM to a whopping PCM1536 when in OS mode. This sounds slightly better to my ears than its NOS mode.

However, playing good original DSD material, upsampled to DSD256, has a certain magic that is missing from the same converted to HR PCM. A certain mildness, effortlessness, airiness. It is all very subtle but appreciated in longer listening sessions.

But I must say that I never thought the format itself is 'better', it is all chain dependent, as shown by the different DAC's. That is why it is not unthinkable that I would listen to PCM only. Otherwise I would not have dived so deep into the ECD gear.

By the way, my DSD files are packed in WavPack (wv) lossless format (40-50% size reduction, using f.i. xrecode3) and can be played directly by JRiver (not preferred) or the Russian Album Player console version that I run within wtfplay. But for serious listening I quickly convert them (again using xrecode3) to DSD256 dff format for the SDTrans384 or HX500.

Apologies if some of this is somewhat off-topic, however it is part of the playing field that helps assessing the value of ECD gear.

audio system

3 minutes ago, Ben75 said:

Depending of the potential coming reviews of the PowerDAC that some will write, would you expect to purchase it or not?

I only just purchased the U192ETL + DA96ETF + SVC24 combo and am happy with it.

Best SQ with streaming I ever had and I do not feel feverish yet to replace that combo by the PowerDAC  🙂 

I might consider it if it could in theory replace te Terminator, however I still need the latter for playing from SD transport with I2S (best SQ so far) and/or native DSD files.

audio system

Regarding the optimal source I am still toying with the idea to try one of the (rarely found) boxes that converts SPDIF to USB, thanks to @pm325 's suggestion. This would enable, for instance, the SDTrans384 to work with the ECD combo.

Anyone knows whether the Mutec MC-3+ USB could do that?

https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus-usb.php

It does look like it as its USB connection says 'I/O', but I am a little confused as this would require a (nonexistent?) USB cable with USB B connectors at both ends. 

audio system

25 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

Recording should be supported (i.e. saving to a specific file that's stored on local drive) by Mutec while we're talking about SDTrans384 → Mutec → Computer → U192ETL in real time here.

So that does not look promising. I have no interest in recording as the music files are already available for the computer, for playing to the U192ETL.

I was actually thinking of SDTrans384 → Mutec → U192ETL, i.e. bypassing the computer.

Mutec's manual nor reviews are explicit about this, but it seems what I want is not possible given master-slave roles?

I will ask Mutec for confirmation.

audio system