IGNORED

ECdesigns

On 1/12/2023 at 10:26 AM, Michael L said:Still wondering about buying a used previous generation EC D system but once the brave new world in audio they have fallen into disfavour in the same way as my MOS16 set up.

I wouldn’t believe everything that can be read online.  I still have the fractal Dac with UPL and haven’t felt a need to buy anything else. Daily I am convinced that the EC designs Dac is superb.

This was after a decade seeking a solution to the annoying  ‘digital’ sound quality of other highly rated (and expensive) components I tried. 

I believe from reports on here that the Power Dacs are even better but still am not tempted. It’s a great place to get to, to find ongoing satisfaction with a system and to just focus on the music. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Michael L said:

Activity seems to have ceased in this thread. Reminicient or one of those western film scenes.

In my case it’s because I’m sitting back and enjoying the music! ;) and happily no longer chasing the elusive goal of audio satisfaction. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, Superdad said:

And with higher (more standard) 2V output level. 9_9

The new S version will be able to drive 4-8 ohm speakers directly with 20 watts output. The same technology will be used in the R version, both vertical and flat enclosure. 

On 7/3/2023 at 1:04 PM, matthias said:

Means that it can be placed into a rack?

Thx

Matt

Yes will be similar to the powerdac B format. 

1 hour ago, matthias said:

My understanding is that V means vertical and both R and S have volume control ???

Matt

Yes that is what I have been told.

The R models have volume control but need power amp. The SX will be able to output 20 watts to drive speakers directly. And all sound better than previous. The SX now sounds better than using with tube amps. 

The X stands for the new technology brought about by purchased drivers no longer being in spec so were unusable and they had to adapt the DAC boards.  

First available model in next few months will be the the RXV. 

• 1 month later...

See EC Designs website for the new PowerDac range. No prices yet. 

https://www.ecdesigns.nl/

https://www.ecdesigns.nl/en/shop

I'm very curious about the SX as it has enough output now and means I could drastically simplify (and sell off) my system...

On 8/15/2023 at 10:04 PM, Superdad said:

Sorry, I meant to be asking about the BX and RX.  I'm not interesting in the speaker-driving SX with giant 3dB steps.

The user guides, timing or prices are not available yet on site but says this for RX:

Integrated linear mains power supply, factory set at 115 / 230V operation, 2-way Euro 8 mains socket. 192/24 Toslink DAPI receiver, low jitter masterclock and integrated bit-perfect tester (bit-perfect playback is recommended for optimal music reproduction quality). Integrated lossless 25 step (1.5dB/step) volume control (25mV ... 1.7V rms) and no lossy analogue circuits or components in the signal path. Local volume control keys integrated in the 7 segments LED display (push left - / right + on the display) and optional rechargeable IR remote control. Headphones (32 Ohms and up) can be connected using a RCA to 3.5mm jack socket adapter cable, durable anodised aluminium housing. Download the User Guide for more information and specifications.

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

Thanks!  I knew that the level steps 1.5dB for the RX (versus the 3dB steps of the SX), but missed the slightly higher 1.7V max output level. That’s a little better and just might get me to the ear splitter level I sometimes enjoy. :P

I hope the BX offers that output level as well.

I'm hoping the same  :). I just wish I could try these out in order to decide: the RX to get rid of a pre-amp and the SX to get rid of all amplification - very radical but agree the 3dB steps are a bit crude..

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

I hope the BX offers that output level as well.

PowerDAC-BX

Basic DAC with discrete multibit fractal-7 matrix DA converter mainly intended for driving (pre) amps.

Built-in 115/230V linear power supply, 2-pole Euro 8 power supply connection. 192/24 Toslink DAPI receiver with low jitter master clock, power LED and locked indicator. Fixed 1.7V rms output voltage on RCA outputs and no lossy analog circuits or components in the signal path. Headphones (32 Ohm and above) can be connected with a suitable external attenuator, durable anodised housing. Download the User Guide for more information and specifications.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, Muzikmann said:

Taptrick! Thanks for the positive feedback!  It's nice to know that a Macbook pro and the Memory Player sound the same on the SX.  ECDesigns have achieved something remarkable as this will save me money on a music server.  I really like the simplicity of the SX, but I am looking at the Qualio IQ speakers which are 89db into 4ohms, so I am thinking the RX with a dedicated amplifier would work better.

The SX gives up to max 14W at 4ohms.  I’d recommend considering it, but only if that would be enough power for you.  

7 hours ago, Khronos said:

The IQs are said to love power, though. So it's a case of think less PowerDAC SX and more Schiit Tyr levels of power.

Crikey, 350w into 4 ohms. Should heat the room in winter...

1 hour ago, Michael L said:

Good to hear EC Designs are now selling at a UK dealer. I've just had a look at their website. Close to pulling the trigger on the RX which I think is worth the extra ££ for the volume control - so useful for headphones where a bit perfect signal is needed so cannot be controlled on - in my case - the MacBook

Yes, The SX and RX both have the IR remote volume control. RX outputs max 1.7V and the SX supplies max 11.31V output.

I'd reference back to the EC manuals as I'm not sure the copy on the Elise website is right for each product.

1 hour ago, Khronos said:

That's great to hear! Then we can scratch my theory and chalk that down to the ECDesigns recommended speakers (I cannot blame them at all, speaker design can be a doozy). I'm sure then the sound must be crazy good, my instinct tells me the weight of the Hemp Cone must really blend well with the sheer immediacy of the PowerDAC.

I have heard speakers up to the half-a-million Euro mark, and I find the Omegas more immersive than them. The horn speakers I've heard were nice, but one-party trickers as well. The dynamics might be better than single drivers, but they were nowhere near as holistic and there's definitely discontinuity under the horn (at least the sets I've heard, which had direct radiators underneath). I personally think that Omega Loudspeakers are amongst the best speakers commercially available out there regardless of price. They will not impress at first, but you've known for years by now that they are special.

That's interesting to hear your experience of the Omegas and I've read similar reports. I did a fair bit of research and reading reviews before deciding on the Super Alnicos and havn't regretted it. (Possibly the Super Alnicos high output at 97db would be an improvement). They are the only part of my system that has lasted the course. Everything else has been changed a few times. 

Would be curious to hear the EC Designs recommended open Baffle speakers at 102dB / 2ohm...

9 hours ago, yogibear said:

Further impressions on SX:

1. Very very dark background.

2. Explosive dynamics.

3. Unreal details.

4. Smooth midrange.

5. Staggering bass. 

It’s getting very “Goosebumpy” !!!! No words to explain…. (Improving with break in… perhaps) 

Yep, thats it. Well said

On 1/2/2024 at 4:22 AM, yogibear said:

Further impressions on the SX:

The bass bloomed like a flower with time. What’s baffling is, looks like the bass extension on my bookshelf speakers extended by itself while playing through the SX. Despite the volume at the SX, be it at just 15 on 88dB BS or full throttle 24, the distortion is non-existent and I hear low low end notes from some recordings that never existed before ! 

How about a 40 watter DAC in future ????

Agree there is zero distortion on the SX volume and stays remarkable at any setting. The volume is as magic as the DAC (its basically a resistor attenuator). I wouldn't see the point of buying an SX and adding an amp. The BX is for that surely.

On some recordings even on lowest settings the volume is enough for late night listening and agree that the bass stays significant at any setting, as opposed to usual amps that need more power (with more distortion) for more bass output.....

3 minutes ago, Marijn said:

...The wide bandwidth, huge dynamics and zero distortion are very impressive at first...

Not just at first... :))

2 hours ago, matthias said:

OK, thanks,

so the question is SX standalone vs BX plus pre/power vs RX plus poweramp.

the big question is which one is Matthias going to finally go for...  😂