IGNORED

ECdesigns

Question: what do you use for feeding the U192ETL? Just the ‘known’ applications like Audirvana/ Foobar or are have different options been tried out?

When my rig arrives, I will give HYSOLID a shot: little bit buggy sw, but great SQ imho (https://www.hysolid.com/).

[SOURCE] Ideon Absolute Stream -> Ideon Absolute Time -> [DAC] APL Hifi DSD-MR SE -> [AMP] Dan d’Agostino Progression INT -> [LS] EgglestoneWorks Savoy SE (supported by Stealth Audio cabling, Ansuz network, Stromtank power)

2 hours ago, murphythecat87 said:

Jriver

I find since the 21st version Jriver sound better then foobar

Interesting read: WTFPLAY should be on the shortlist as well.

[SOURCE] Ideon Absolute Stream -> Ideon Absolute Time -> [DAC] APL Hifi DSD-MR SE -> [AMP] Dan d’Agostino Progression INT -> [LS] EgglestoneWorks Savoy SE (supported by Stealth Audio cabling, Ansuz network, Stromtank power)

13 hours ago, hopkins said:

ECD (Gordon) confirmed that they could not get Audirvana to play "bit-perfect" on Windows 10 either. Could be a setting, in which case they (Audirvana) are not making it obvious ! On Mac, Gordon confirmed Audirvana is bit-perfect, and JRiver on Windows with Wasapi (had not tried as my trial license expired).

I'll try some Linux apps later this week.

Hysolid (https://www.hysolid.com/) is claiming to be bit perfect.. maybe you can give it a try.

2 hours ago, hopkins said:

I tried using it sone time ago and could not get it to work :(

It seems to work..

CD463825-97A1-4AE4-B077-AE942AFE01F8.jpeg

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, hopkins said:

In addition, when we do those tests we can sometimes focus too much on details and forget to sit back and ask ouseselves: how do we feel when listening to A or B? Are we involved in the music or are we just sitting back from afar and dissecting it?... 

Basically this should be the right order: if you do not get more ‘moved’ by your improvement, then it is useless to focus on (micro) details imo. Furthermore you should be sure that other variables remain constant during assessing -in my area, at night power seems to be more clean than during the day (could also be the children that are asleep by then). Closing your eyes during sessions helps a lot for focus.

In the end it is and stays a personal experience and man is very poorly skilled when it comes to memorizing emotions in an exact way.

The thing I am personally waiting for is an extensive review by a well respected hifi website including measurements and the whole she-bang.. Somehow ECDesigns is not keen on having their ‘magic’ reviewed. I asked Christiaan Punter (Dutch ex-enthusiast for ECDesigns (https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/spdif-dac-reviews/ec-designs-mosaic-t-dac/) to review my gear but the relationship with the bros. Brown has cooled down for some reason, so no more interest from Christiaan.

It seems like there’s ‘an elephant in the room’ with the Brown brothers and the review sites but I am strongly wondering why (or maybe there simply isn’t one?!).

On the other hand it is ‘cool’ to be part of a selected group that enjoys their gems.. but what if the gear is not that ‘magical’ as we all believe according to ‘professional’ reviewers? Nah, I don’t think I wouldn’t care that much..

19 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Just wanted to add: If we focus on the source immunity aspect we may lose perspective of the main message: the sound quality is really good! I've also had a few friends confirm this recently, by the way. I don't think anyone who has the current U96, whether using the U192 or UPL, will be disappointed with the upgrade. 

Darn! I was hoping the SQ improvement was not more than slightly and the need to upgrade would be less acute.. Let’s plan Xmas a bit earlier this year :-)

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

Someone mentioned it would be sold by the end of this month. I don't think they do pre-orders. 

No pre-orders confirmed.

Anyone interested in my da96etf / upl96etl/ u192etl? Send me a dm 👍🏻

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, hopkins said:

Seeing the reactions to the previous posts, I was wondering who is going to purchase a PowerDAC immediately and who is  going to wait for more feedback before they decide. Is it indescrete to ask? I am purchasing the pre-production unit I tested, BTW. I have tried, not to be too enthusiastic here and "inflate" things. In fact, I've had the opportunity to compare the powerDAC to two other respected DACs but am saving my comments for later 😁 I am looking forward to hearing what some of you will have to say after listening to it. It does not look like there will be any professional reviews anytime soon. ECD are unique in that way too 😀

Since I have sold my ECD stuff couple of weeks ago, I am refreshing the ECD website every 5 seconds looking for updates 😎.

40 minutes ago, opus101 said:

I'm a bit active on that thread as I design NOS DACs - 'soft bass' I would attribute to being a bit noisy in the lower frequencies. The noise could easily come from the power supply or it could be inherent in the DAC architecture itself.

I must say, having used the PowerDAC for over a week now, the lower registers seem to be more present and better outlined in comparison with the DA96. Your claim regarding electronic noise seem to fit with the "source immunity" claim made by ECdesigns.

Can other people relate to this..?

1 minute ago, Huubster said:

Could that be due to a better defined/tight low end maybe

Thats what I am experiencing: my reference track for assessing fast/ defined bass is Rage Against The Machine - Killing In the Name (I presume you will use different tracks ;-D). PRaT is unparalleled imo. Anyways, let's give it a try in the coming listening session!

1 minute ago, tapatrick said:

Definitely not true for the Fractal DAC in my system. Must be because of some other issue in the quoted systems..

As always, the complete setup/chain is responsible for your end result. I.e. my Hegel H590 is fast as water and my speakers are of that kind that can keep up with this pace. Also they happen to be quite bass heavy (typical paper cones that are used) and tango really great with the characteristics of the PD.

12 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

sources -- RPi, SOtM, Lindemann, SDTrans384 (see source immunity discussion)

Will be Rpi incl. HifiBerry HAT (digi2 pro edition), Lindemann Limetree Bridge 2

35 minutes ago, hopkins said:

but my friends thought it had more detailed

You mean the Denafrips I suppose?

Thanks for sharing!

37 minutes ago, Varinder said:

What are the other dacs you have tried which you think beats PD

One-to-one comparisons with Linn Klimax Katalyst, internal Hegel H590 DAC and Chord Qutest - and the PD did beat them imho. Further experience with the Mola Mola Tambaqui but not having compared with the PD (and I honestly think it will be very tough competition for the PD).

I certainly don’t say that the PD is the best of all DACs, but I do believe it is hard to beat its price/quality ratio..

• 1 month later...