IGNORED

HQPlayer + Muso

jeremyb

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Jeremy. I've upgraded to HQPlayer 3.12 but now I'm having problems with remote control, nothing I select to 'Play Now' makes it to HQP's playlist and Playing Now doesn't refresh, as a couple of examples?

Thanks

Ray

Are they problems only with Remote Control, or do you get the same issues if you try to control HQPlayer directly from the main Muso window?

Muso developer

Are they problems only with Remote Control, or do you get the same issues if you try to control HQPlayer directly from the main Muso window?

Everything is fine with the main GUI.

I understand HQP 3.12 might have been tweaked for the Roon integration, there's a new button for network control for example - might that have broken something?

Everything is fine with the main GUI.

I understand HQP 3.12 might have been tweaked for the Roon integration, there's a new button for network control for example - might that have broken something?

I shouldn't think so, the remote should interact with HQPlayer in the same way as the main Muso interface, it's just a different way to invoke the same interactions. Do you establish an HQPlayer connection in Muso before firing up the remote?

Muso developer

Yes, I invoke Muso first, which fires up HQP automatically. Then I open the remote browser page on my laptop or tablet.

On the Muso/HQP PC the Windows firewall has muso permitted and port 5555 open for inbound and outbound; that said, tomorrow evening I'll turn off the firewall and see how it goes.

Yes, I invoke Muso first, which fires up HQP automatically. Then I open the remote browser page on my laptop or tablet.

On the Muso/HQP PC the Windows firewall has muso permitted and port 5555 open for inbound and outbound; that said, tomorrow evening I'll turn off the firewall and see how it goes.

Hmm, it works fine with Firefox.

Looks like an IE problem.

Ray

I could test it with IE, but it's not really the target browser, since remote is intended for mobile devices (Safari on IOS, Chrome on Android).

Thanks, remote control is working consistently on the laptop with Firefox.

My Samsung tablet device is long in the tooth, so no Chrome, but I installed Firefox for Android and that's working too.

• 1 month later...

If any HQPlayer users would like the ability to drive one or more HQPlayer instances which are hosted on a different machine to Muso - be it windows, Mac or Linux - please comment in the musoware thread below. If even a small number of users need the change, I'll do by best to get it done.

Remote HQPlayer

This may also help the HQPlayer users that like to run their instance on a Windows Server Core box - Muso can't run on Server Core since .NET isn't (fully) supported. So then you could have Muso running on a full windows box connected to HQPlayer on Server Core - though this extra box may prove a deal-breaker for some, especially if they only want to use Muso to act as a server in order to provide a remote control for HQPlayer.

Muso developer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In version 2.5.15:

Allow remote HQPlayer to be configured (in Options/Players)

- you will need to turn on "Allow control from network" in HQPlayer

- you will need to configure firewall rules to allow communication (port 4321)

- all media file paths used by Muso must also be valid for HQPlayer host (i.e. UNC path or common drive mapping)

- if "buffer folder" used it must be a path recognised by both Muso and HQPlayer hosts.

- "muso-specific config" not used - this config is for local HQPlayer only

Muso developer

I'm evaluating MUSO (latest) and this is sort of an artwork question. All of my CD rips (AIFF) are done using dbpoweramp which embeds artwork as well as creates a jpg of the artwork in the album folder (called folder.jog).

Question #1

I'm running a Win10 wkst with internal storage (WD Red) as well as a NAS (all defined in the Muso lib options). It seems like a lot of the files from the NAS don't show artwork/thumbnail unless I:

1. Click on each individual album,

2. Let MUSO do its thing (read and display all the graphics, metadata, LastFM etc..)

3. Go to the "Home page" and then return to said artist album (from step 2 above) that was just processed and artwork/thumbnail appears.

muso artwork.png

Question #2

Importing from the NAS took a very long time (scanning of all the folders and subfolders was processed) 16hrs +/- and the NAS contents are much less than the local storage. I have the NAS drive mapped as "M:" which the hard link would be "\\NAS NAME HERE\music" using the windows map network drive function. Is this a normal read time?

My rig

I'm evaluating MUSO (latest) and this is sort of an artwork question. All of my CD rips (AIFF) are done using dbpoweramp which embeds artwork as well as creates a jpg of the artwork in the album folder (called folder.jog).

Question #1

I'm running a Win10 wkst with internal storage (WD Red) as well as a NAS (all defined in the Muso lib options). It seems like a lot of the files from the NAS don't show artwork/thumbnail unless I:

1. Click on each individual album,

2. Let MUSO do its thing (read and display all the graphics, metadata, LastFM etc..)

3. Go to the "Home page" and then return to said artist album (from step 2 above) that was just processed and artwork/thumbnail appears.

Following an import Muso should have invoked an artwork scan for new albums. In case you exited Muso while this was active you can re-invoke it from the menu (Tools > Find Missing Artwork > ...) at any time. Muso will try fetching artwork on an album-by-album basis as soon as you drill down to the album page.

Question #2

Importing from the NAS took a very long time (scanning of all the folders and subfolders was processed) 16hrs +/- and the NAS contents are much less than the local storage. I have the NAS drive mapped as "M:" which the hard link would be "\\NAS NAME HERE\music" using the windows map network drive function. Is this a normal read time?

That sounds excessive to me. How many files did it process in the scan? Once imported subsequent scans should be much faster, provided you un-tick the option "Check updated meta-data on import".

NB. For me the physical folder structure doesn't really matter, so I put new albums in a monthly folder and only ask Muso to scan the current month's folder on import, which is pretty fast.

Muso developer

Further on 2.5.15: to connect to a remote HQPlayer instance you just put the host name in to the "Remote HQPlayer Host" field:

Capture.PNG

The "Local folder containing HQPlayer-desktop.exe" is only for a local HQPlayer instance (on the same machine as Muso). So the configuration as above will allow connection of BOTH a local and remote HQPlayer instance. This will be apparent in the player selection:

Screenshot (9).png

Muso developer

Following an import Muso should have invoked an artwork scan for new albums. In case you exited Muso while this was active you can re-invoke it from the menu (Tools > Find Missing Artwork > ...) at any time. Muso will try fetching artwork on an album-by-album basis as soon as you drill down to the album page.

That sounds excessive to me. How many files did it process in the scan? Once imported subsequent scans should be much faster, provided you un-tick the option "Check updated meta-data on import".

NB. For me the physical folder structure doesn't really matter, so I put new albums in a monthly folder and only ask Muso to scan the current month's folder on import, which is pretty fast.

Thanks for the info. I let MUSO complete the initial task and didn't kill the process. Settings were:

muso imp setting.png

Based on your comment, "updated meta-data on import" was checked so I'm guessing that might have been the issue for the slow import. If I'm reading the log correctly, the "M" drive (NAS only) says:

4171 songs parsed

4171 new songs added

As to the missing artwork/thumbnails, is MUSO reading/using the embedded image, or is MUSO downloading and then using its "own" artwork?

My rig

As to the missing artwork/thumbnails, is MUSO reading/using the embedded image, or is MUSO downloading and then using its "own" artwork?

It will do both. Order is:

1) Album folder's image file search - according to the file spec under Options / Artwork (if no filespec is defined, it will skip this step)

2) Embedded artwork search - it only searches for artwork in the first 3 album tracks, if none is found there it skips this step

3) Last.fm artwork search - only if the option "If no image is found locally, muso can search online resources" is ticked

4) Amazon artwork search - only if the option "If no image is found locally, muso can search online resources" is ticked

Muso developer

Thanks for the info. I let MUSO complete the initial task and didn't kill the process. Settings were:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24706[/ATTACH]

Based on your comment, "updated meta-data on import" was checked so I'm guessing that might have been the issue for the slow import. If I'm reading the log correctly, the "M" drive (NAS only) says:

4171 songs parsed

4171 new songs added

Many hours scanning only 4171 tracks is certainly excessive, I'd recommend UNC paths rather than drive mappings, but even so I wouldn't expect it to make a huge difference. Is your Muso machine connected via wireless, and the same for your media server? Wired connections would certainly help.

Muso developer

I just re-scanned just under 1000 media files (a mixture of mp3 & flac totalling just under 10Gb) in just under 3 minutes, that's with a wired (power-plug) media server and a wireless PC. I haven't analysed how much of a file's contents it needs to transfer across the wire in order to scan the id3 tags (may do that next), but yes from that I'd say there's something amiss with your setup.

Muso developer

I just re-scanned just under 1000 media files (a mixture of mp3 & flac totalling just under 10Gb) in just under 3 minutes, that's with a wired (power-plug) media server and a wireless PC. I haven't analysed how much of a file's contents it needs to transfer across the wire in order to scan the id3 tags (may do that next), but yes from that I'd say there's something amiss with your setup.

Later again it took 9 minutes, no idea why! But later still on a wired PC it took only just over 2 minutes.

Muso developer

Many hours scanning only 4171 tracks is certainly excessive, I'd recommend UNC paths rather than drive mappings, but even so I wouldn't expect it to make a huge difference. Is your Muso machine connected via wireless, and the same for your media server? Wired connections would certainly help.

I only use a wired network (GB) and is going through (a new) dedicated router/separate managed switch so I'm not sure what the deal was. It did give me a warning that it was a "root" drive (the NAS), but it was a mapped drive etc.

I don't recall how long Jriver took, but it was under a half hour and this was only a piece of my library 600GB ~ (as a test). Now there are some older MP3's which I don't have the CD's of anymore so I'm not sure if that slowed things down having to sift through those (I'm using HQP so I set file types to AIFF, DSF, Flac).

As to the artwork, I'll have to double check my settings "Options / Artwork" per your #1+2 explanation, but as stated, all the files have embedded artwork with the additional "folder.jpg" file in each folder.

My rig