IGNORED

Thinking of mating an Aries to a Lampizator. Good idea?

Well, I am a newbie, in more ways than one, and it'd be great if I could introduce myself with some sort of a more meaningful first post, but I feel I must instead ask for some advice before anything else.

Let me digress:

I have followed a somewhat "backwards evolution" trail in my audio system, as I first invested in my speakers and amp and left the front end for later.

After a bit of trial and error and also being the tube nut that I am, I decided to follow my gut and order a Lampizator Level 4 DAC, which will be here mid-May (crossing my fingers...).

All I need to do now is figure out how to set up a decent music server system.

In this light, I have come across an Auralic Aries at a very attractive price and I'm seriously considering it.

Although I'd prefer the Aries to be Android compatible and use local storage, I think that I can live with what is offered right now.

Moreover, although I am used to JRiver, I do have a well organised library, so I don't anticipate any problems, as far as Lightning DS is concerned.

Do you think I am missing something?

No, you aren't missing anything, and Auralic recently announced that the Android version will be introduced in Mid May:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/auralics-next-big-thing-24173/

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Not sure what you're asking. I'm referring to the Lightning DS playback control app, which till now only worked on Apple devices. Next month there will also be an Android app you can use to control playback on the Aries. That has nothing directly to do with the firmware.

The Aries itself is Linux based internally. The firmware is internal to the Aries and deals running the Aries itself, and with connecting the Aries to the DAC, to locally attached storage, to the network, to a NAS, and to your controller running Lighting DS.

Nothing there is Android based. Aries will work with an external NAS/Server as long as you have a server program compatible with UPnP/DLNA installed on your server/NAS - something like JRiver, minimserver, or Twonky.

If you are using local storage (external USB based storage), Aries works with all the common USB setups via an internal UPnP server program that's part of the newer versions of the firmware.

Might be a good idea for you to download and read the Aries quick start guide, and the other docs available at the Auralic site that explain how the Aries works. You want to be sure it does what you need before you order one.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Thanks, I get it now.

I think I should have written firmware "update" instead of "upgrade", but with all the upgrades I've been doing in my audio system recently, it's no wonder this word haunts me...

Nevertheless, it's good to know I could control the Aries via an Android device (which I currently own) and not an i-pad (which I would otherwise have to buy - not that I have something against that).

However, I was wondering whether the Android app would be on a par with the i-pad one.

Not sure what you're asking. I'm referring to the Lightning DS playback control app, which till now only worked on Apple devices. Next month there will also be an Android app you can use to control playback on the Aries. That has nothing directly to do with the firmware.

The Aries itself is Linux based internally. The firmware is internal to the Aries and deals running the Aries itself, and with connecting the Aries to the DAC, to locally attached storage, to the network, to a NAS, and to your controller running Lighting DS.

Nothing there is Android based. Aries will work with an external NAS/Server as long as you have a server program compatible with UPnP/DLNA installed on your server/NAS - something like JRiver, minimserver, or Twonky.

If you are using local storage (external USB based storage), Aries works with all the common USB setups via an internal UPnP server program that's part of the newer versions of the firmware.

Might be a good idea for you to download and read the Aries quick start guide, and the other docs available at the Auralic site that explain how the Aries works. You want to be sure it does what you need before you order one.

One other thing to consider, while you need the Lightning DS application, whether it be on an iPad or an Android device to do the initial setup of the Aries, you can control music playback not only from the Lightning DS application, but from other control software such as Linn Kinsky and Kazoo which run on a variety of platforms including Windows & Mac based machines. So lots of options out there.

Also there is a beta version of the Lightning DS android application available for Android cell phones.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I've a Lampi G5 L4 and have been very seriously considering the Aries.

In my research, so far, I've run across a couple of things that are a bit "off-putting", i.e. not perfect. One is that, as I understand it, the Aries will not play ISO or image files (I have a LOT of these). I also understand that ISO files can be converted to DFF format. I have not found like info on CD image files.

Secondly, I intend to feed the Aries with a USB drive plugged directly into its USB port. According to the Aries specifications their supplied port is USB 2.0, not the USB 3.0 spec I'd consider optimum for this purpose. My external drives are USB compliant and have a considerably higher transfer rate into a USB 3.0 port.

Are these "niggles" or REAL concerns?

I've grown very tired of the "computer solution" for digital playback and want something - like the Aries - made from the ground up to do this one job.

Comments please.

Doak

@Doak - In regards to the Aries have USB 2.0 ports, they are more than adequate to provide music from the HD to the Aries. Regardless of whether it is a standard redbook file, high resolution 24/192 or a DSF/DFF (DSD64/DSD128). So I would scratch that concern off your list.

I have converted all my DSD ISO files to DSF format as this allows for me to properly tag them.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Some really interesting observations above.

I also want to use my external usb disc, as I have not yet fully contemplated a NAS solution but in my brief e-mail communication with Auralic, I was told NAS is the way to go.

BTW, I got an e-mail from my local dealer today, informing me the price is bound to go up next month.

Quite by accident, I also came across this streamer from Holland : Audio Streamer , which also looks interesting, as it has optional local storage (which basically also means a common linear psu for everything) and is controlled by JRiver via Android (very convenient...).

While I'm still in the process of acquiring more info from their representative, I must confess that so far they have been extremely helpful and informative and their pricing is also quite attractive.

We'll see what the future brings...

I started out with the same choice of gear in mind as well.

And budget-wise, I would have been able to have in my possession both the Amber and the Aries by now, if I had stuck with my original plan.

After all, the Amber presents a superb offering, fully and "truly" tubed (including the rectifier), has DSD capability and upgrade-ability and so on.

However, an amazing opportunity to get a Level 4, exactly the way I wanted it (with ptp wiring and my choice of tubes and all) presented itself and I just knew that if I didn't take it, it would somehow always bug me that I let it go, so I had to bite the bullet and get the level 4.

It has of course slowed down my Aries purchase, so I can't say I don't get second thoughts now and then, but that's life...

So, all in all, the Aries/Amber combo would be a very good and sensible choice

I have more or less the same setup in mind. Except the level 4 way out of my budget so I would go for an Amber. However the new Schiit Ygdrasil is also an option.

Looked that streamer up. It does look very interesting, but the web site gives so little information. Like, does it do double DSD or quad DSD? DXD means up to 352 or 384?

Are the I2S card and USB card user switchable?

They really need to put a specs/details page on the web site.

Some really interesting observations above.

I also want to use my external usb disc, as I have not yet fully contemplated a NAS solution but in my brief e-mail communication with Auralic, I was told NAS is the way to go.

BTW, I got an e-mail from my local dealer today, informing me the price is bound to go up next month.

Quite by accident, I also came across this streamer from Holland : Audio Streamer , which also looks interesting, as it has optional local storage (which basically also means a common linear psu for everything) and is controlled by JRiver via Android (very convenient...).

While I'm still in the process of acquiring more info from their representative, I must confess that so far they have been extremely helpful and informative and their pricing is also quite attractive.

We'll see what the future brings...

I agree.

Most small businesses seem to suffer from the so called "cottage industry syndrome" at their start-up.

I sincerely hope they get it right.

From my e-mail communication with them so far, I am under the impression that it's either usb or I2S.

I haven't asked about DSD yet.

Looked that streamer up. It does look very interesting, but the web site gives so little information. Like, does it do double DSD or quad DSD? DXD means up to 352 or 384?

Yes it is either USB ( I think the sotm card) or I2S (A card they developed themselves).

I have been to their shop triple M audio once and they seem te be friendly people. If you current DAC does not have an I2S input you can alwasy at a later stage buy their I2S card and install it yourself or have them do it for you. However I haven't heard their own brand Pink Faun.

[br]