IGNORED

Help: Finding a Renderer utilising an External HDD for supply of music

Hi,

Is there currently a renderer which can accept music via an external HDD and music play is being controlled by a wireless device (e.g. iphone, ipad, etc.) via the network router?

The renderer will no built-in dac.

Here is my thought visually,

media renderer via HDD.jpg

Wow, where have you been? An example of such a renderer is only in the most popular thread on this section - the Auralic Aries:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-aries-hardware-impressions-and-information-21261/

Plus it even merits a separate thread (2nd most popular) for its Lightning DS controller app:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-lightning-ds-app-software-impressions-and-information-21262/

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

LOL....

Well, I have been, for a while been using an Arm based system (Pogoplug) w/ squeezelite/LMS system but had problems on restoring back as my Linux knowledge capabilities are limited. My main problem was running an external hard drive direct into the Pogoplug was unstable and even looked at SOTM sms100 which likewise is unstable with the external drive configuration.

As you see, I have been working on bang for the buck systems and while the Aries is a very good system, maybe there are more affordable and similar systems which would cost less. Are there other alternatives to the Auralic Aries?

Have you looked at distros tailored specifically for audio renderers? Eg Volumio does an excellent impression of an OpenHome Media renderer for the Raspberry Pi 2, though admittedly I haven't seen anyone mention using Volumio with a USB HDD attached.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Mmm. Well if you're going to chuck that sort of hardware (& money) at a solution, at least I can suggest free (and possibly less bloated) software for it, eg:

Foobar2000 + foo_UPnP plugin component (for the UPnP renderer)

BubbleUPnP Server (to emulate an OpenHome Media renderer)

MinimServer (for UPnP Media server/music library duties)

BubbleUPnP app for Android, Kinsky or Lumin or Lightning DS apps for iPad (ohMedia control points)

-- Jo Cox

Hi,

Is there currently a renderer which can accept music via an external HDD and music play is being controlled by a wireless device (e.g. iphone, ipad, etc.) via the network router?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17896[/ATTACH]

Interested in this, but it looks like I've misunderstood something fundamental. Can someone explain how a renderer would work as a renderer purely with music on an attached HDD, the implication being that there isn't also a control computer running DLNA software somewhere?

E.g. My Oppo can act as a renderer and it can also play from attached HDD, but as far as I'm aware it can't do both together.

Have you looked at distros tailored specifically for audio renderers? Eg Volumio does an excellent impression of an OpenHome Media renderer for the Raspberry Pi 2, though admittedly I haven't seen anyone mention using Volumio with a USB HDD attached.

I want going to suggest Volumio. I believe if you use it as a MPd player (rather than as a OpenHome Media renderer) it will work with an attached USB drive.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Interested in this, but it looks like I've misunderstood something fundamental. Can someone explain how a renderer would work as a renderer purely with music on an attached HDD, the implication being that there isn't also a control computer running DLNA software somewhere?

E.g. My Oppo can act as a renderer and it can also play from attached HDD, but as far as I'm aware it can't do both together.

Presumably, if it's a UPnP/DLNA supporting renderer, then the UPnP media server (assuming this is the 'DLNA software' you are referring to) will need to be run on the same device in order to provide the music files from the attached USB drive. Of course this isn't the normal setup for UPnP/DLNA streaming and I wouldn't expect most purpose built UPnP supporting renderers/players/streamers to also have a UPnP media server built-in. However, the Auralic Aries is one such device and can be used in that configuration.

Incidentally, the machine that 'houses' the UPnP media server is normally referred to as a 'server' and not a 'control' type device. Control under UPnP/DLNA is always via a UPnP/DLNA controller, aka control point, which the OP did account for.

-- Jo Cox

I want going to suggest Volumio. I believe if you use it as a MPd player (rather than as a OpenHome Media renderer) it will work with an attached USB drive.
Agreed. Having said that I think Volumio comes with a built-in UPnP media server, which presumably can be used to access local files. It's possible that it is just a front end for MPD's own file accessing routines, given that Volumio already provides the ohMedia/UPnP renderer as a front end to its actual player, MPD.

-- Jo Cox

Presumably, if it's a UPnP/DLNA supporting renderer, then the UPnP media server (assuming this is the 'DLNA software' you are referring to) will need to be run on the same device in order to provide the music files from the attached USB drive. Of course this isn't the normal setup for UPnP/DLNA streaming and I wouldn't expect most purpose built UPnP supporting renderers/players/streamers to also have a UPnP media server built-in. However, the Auralic Aries is one such device and can be used in that configuration.

Incidentally, the machine that 'houses' the UPnP media server is normally referred to as a 'server' and not a 'control' type device. Control under UPnP/DLNA is always via a UPnP/DLNA controller, aka control point, which the OP did account for.

Thanks for clarifying that - you got the essence of what I meant despite my imprecise terminology. I still can't understand though why there would be any real advantage to using a single device as both DLNA server and renderer when the music files would only be held on directly attached storage. If it's to take advantage of a great interface etc then surely a simple fanless PC running Jriver directly, controlled with an appropriate app would suffice - why bother with DLNA at all?

I think the idea i that a high quality streamer like the Aries - that is optimized for audio - will give better SQ than just an off the shelp fanless PC.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I think the idea i that a high quality streamer like the Aries - that is optimized for audio - will give better SQ than just an off the shelf fanless PC.

If the PC is just delivering the stream to a device like a USB DAC, it shouldn't make a difference.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

If the PC is just delivering the stream to a device like a USB DAC, it shouldn't make a difference.

With emphasis on "shouldn't"...

And yet it does in my setup and experience.

Please can we not start this argument here!

Eloise

(Just my 2 cents)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks jriver for this. Though I have been using jriver in a separate main music server, I did not see this.

The Intel NUC on Jriver Id would tend to provide lesser SQ since it is a fan based system?

The Id PI looks interesting but would it be a pain in terms of maintaining it? Or since it is a jriver system, it would be easier as compared to a squeezelite/LMS system?

The JRiver Id is a DLNA / UPnP Renderer.

JRiver Id

You can easily add a USB drive to it.

2TB USB 3.0 Drive Uses 2 Watts

And control it with JRemote or Gizmo.

JRemote

JRemote is also available for Android on the Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jriver.jremote

Thank you for that! Note that in my quoted post I only said "I think the idea...". Didn't actually claim it was true. But JRiver for some reason feels compelled to respond....

Please can we not start this argument here!

Eloise

(Just my 2 cents)

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

The Intel NUC on Jriver Id would tend to provide lesser SQ since it is a fan based system?

You can't hear it from beyond a foot or two. Haswell comes to NUC | silentpcreview.com

The Id PI looks interesting but would it be a pain in terms of maintaining it?

We're not shipping it yet, but I don't think it will take any significant maintenance. You could read about early testing on our Linux board.

Or since it is a jriver system, it would be easier as compared to a squeezelite/LMS system?

I couldn't say. Sorry.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

Well its not about the sound of the fan (but having it quiet is also good news), but the effects of the operating fan to the digital signal. I my experience, a fanless based music server provides better sound quality output than the ones with fans.

Any estimated time when the Id PI becomes available?

You can't hear it from beyond a foot or two. Haswell comes to NUC | silentpcreview.com

We're not shipping it yet, but I don't think it will take any significant maintenance. You could read about early testing on our Linux board.

I couldn't say. Sorry.

Well its not about the sound of the fan (but having it quiet is also good news), but the effects of the operating fan to the digital signal. I my experience, a fanless based music server provides better sound quality output than the ones with fans....

You are correct. Plenty of threads discussing the negative impact of fans on sound: air displacement noise, motor noise, electrical pulse noise, EMI field. A fan has no business in a music server nor streamer.

Cheers

Any estimated time when the Id PI becomes available?
If there's going to be an option to purchase the Id software without the Raspberry Pi, you may as well get the Pi now and try one of the free audio distros while you're waiting.

-- Jo Cox

Hi,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17896[/ATTACH]

Rasberry Pi 2 running Runeaudio achieves all your goals.

I have a 2TB WD HDD attached to my Pi and it runs smoothly with straight forward control from my iPad.

I run it via USB to my Vitus SACD player/DAC.

All up cost is about $50.

The SQ is probably not as good as CD but fairly good.

deleted