IGNORED

Help: Finding a Renderer utilising an External HDD for supply of music

Have you looked at distros tailored specifically for audio renderers? Eg Volumio does an excellent impression of an OpenHome Media renderer for the Raspberry Pi 2, though admittedly I haven't seen anyone mention using Volumio with a USB HDD attached.

I have been running this kind of configuration using Raspberry for a couple of years now.

On the software side, I started using Volumio, then RuneAudio and currently Moode Audio.

Since Raspberry B+ and then Pi2 were released, it is easily possible to use an attached USB HDD without additional USB hub or external power, once you set the "MAX_USB_CURRENT=1" parameter in raspberry /boot/config.txt file.

I am using either Samsung M3 2Tb HDD or Seagate Backup Plus 1 Tb or 2Tb external HDD (formatted exFat or FAT32).

It works well even when you use a USB dac connected at the same time on another USB port of the raspberry.

However, for best SQ, I'm now using HiFiBerry Digi+ card on the Raspberry, which allows me to connect to my LHLabs Geek Pulse X dac using coaxial cable.

On the sw side, my latest addition has been Bubble UPnP server in order to stream also Tidal from the same low cost(*1), low power(*2) , high quality streaming solution.

(*1)(*2) Since the addition of an external linear PSU, cost and power requirements have gone up a bit admittedly, but so has the SQ!