IGNORED

Does big labels spoil the audio quality? ie Adele vs Carmen Gomes

PAP

Reminds me of this from another thread on dynamic range;

What I find astonishing is Dream Operators observation on the Best Hi-res thread:

Off The Wall HD Tracks release is very compressed. DR8, compared to the original CD DR16. Yuk.

Why would they compress a Hi-res download further than the original. Hi res has room for more dynamics or do I see that wrong? I do not think that Bruce Swedien, who mixed the album would be very pleased, since he is a known anti compression advocate.

Off_the_wall.jpg

Reminds me of this from another thread on dynamic range;

Child Molester

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not heard the low DR release(s) of 25 but I have heard the Euro vinyl needledrop in 24/96. It actually sounds quite good, IMO. I have the 21 CD and it never gets played; sounds like garbage (and I'm not such a fan of the album I just HAVE to hear it). Supposedly there's a 21 re-release on the DR DB that scores better, but I can't find anything further on it.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

I've not heard the low DR release(s) of 25 but I have heard the Euro vinyl needledrop in 24/96. It actually sounds quite good, IMO. I have the 21 CD and it never gets played; sounds like garbage (and I'm not such a fan of the album I just HAVE to hear it). Supposedly there's a 21 re-release on the DR DB that scores better, but I can't find anything further on it.

But why release a ''needle drop'' download and not a one to one copy of the studio master?

I ran an experiment on another board. Posted the FLAC file of one song from each copy. Everyone who participated noticed a difference. The question of who preferred which version was almost an even split, 55% preferred the Euro vinyl (better version IMO) and 45% preferred the loud, compressed US release. It just is what it is. The good thing is, we all have a choice in what we want to listen to and from whence we source it. I never assume a new release will sound good - well, a popular one - based on record labels these days.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

• 3 months later...

and compare the old and the new ''Gaucho'';

See here;

[TABLE=class: table table-bordered table-striped, width: 667]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]Steely Dan[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]Gaucho

i

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]1997[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]lossless[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]CD[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: table table-bordered table-striped, width: 667]

[TR]

[TD]Steely Dan[/TD]

[TD]Gaucho- Qobuz- 24bits/96kHz

i

[/TD]

[TD]2001[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]lossless[/TD]

[TD]Download[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Steely_Dan_-_Gaucho.jpg

and compare the old and the new ''Gaucho'';

See here;

Steely_Dan_-_Gaucho.jpg

As much as I don't like the volume compression, that one is probably still listenable. Better than albums with songs crushed to DR of 4 or 5 - and there are remasters like that, too.

BTW, the Japanese SHM remaster in SACD has a DR of 14.

Universal Music

Label code

Catalog number UIGY-9039

http://www.amazon.com/Gaucho-Shm-CD-Steely-Dan/dp/B001VA11JC

I don't know about the pricey SHM CD version, but I'd bet it's the same. Probably sounds a lot better than the volume compressed hi-res version. The 1984 CD version is also available for $6 online.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...