IGNORED

Paul Pang Audio V3 USB Card

nick77

That's a shame. I have been waiting for a USB 3.0 version of this card for a while myself, however, the jump in price is pretty significant. I'd like to hope there are other enhancements to the card other than making it compliant with USB 3.0 protocol. Hopefully someone can expand on things, or Paul himself can chime in.

I believe the biggest change is the addition of OCXO (oven-controlled crystal oscillator) module. This stuff is expensive.

I would love to read feedback from those that compared the v3 with the v2 or the Jcat USB card.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

I posted Pearse's feedback from Tir Na in the AO thread post 1245:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/whos-used-audiophile-optimizer-windows-2012-server-or-windows-8-a-17897/index50.html

Alrainbow has tried them all and replied to my post with:

The ppa ver 3 was too bright for me as was the JCAT too. Only the ver 2 seems right for me.

I use the V1 and as I said to Al in the thread it is down to personal preference and there are too many variables but Pang says the V3/V4 are his best cards to date but it doesn't mean everyone will prefer them and the increased cost is because of the OCXO.

That's a shame. I have been waiting for a USB 3.0 version of this card for a while myself, however, the jump in price is pretty significant. I'd like to hope there are other enhancements to the card other than making it compliant with USB 3.0 protocol. Hopefully someone can expand on things, or Paul himself can chime in.

I think you are a bit confused. All the PPA studio cards are USB 3.0. This one is just the newest one. The current version 2 card is USB 3.0 and is a great sounding card and a bargain IMO.

I will be using it with Weiss INT204 to a heavily modified Benchmark DAC1 with customized external LPSU.

http://mysoundaffairs.com/modification-services/dac-modification/benchmark-dac-1-modification/

Planning to use WS 2012 with AO and HQPlayer in Minimal Server mode. Will be seeking your guidance to make this right as currently I do not have any experiences with WS 2012.

Also will implement Acourate for room correction.

I listen to everything and anything that sounds good to me. No genres preferences.

I will be using it with Weiss INT204 to a heavily modified Benchmark DAC1 with customized external LPSU.

Benchmark DAC 1 Mod | mysoundaffairs.com

Planning to use WS 2012 with AO and HQPlayer in Minimal Server mode. Will be seeking your guidance to make this right as currently I do not have any experiences with WS 2012.

Also will implement Acourate for room correction.

I listen to everything and anything that sounds good to me. No genres preferences.

That's a very interesting system you have there. Are you tempted to try out a DSD DAC to compare ?

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Just noticed Paul has a new version USB 3.0 card called V3.

Looks really nice but $429, anyone compare between V2 and V3 yet?? V2 was such a good buy, didnt expect to see a $400+ pricetag on new model.

SHOPPING AREA: AUDIO GRADE USB 3.0 PCIE CARD

I think you can still get the V2.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

The V2 is available and still popular although the V4 seems to be the one people are choosing over the V3 from me, there's a 5mm difference in height which is useful sometimes.

Difficult question for you, but in what way(s) does the V3/V4 sound better than the V2? Also, I'm not quite clear what the new additional element is for? Is it just to reclock the data before it is send out? And how does that relate to Asynchronous USB?

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

I've never said the V3/V4 sounds better than the V2 and I never would as it is personal preference. I've not heard a V3 as it doesn't fit in my preferred system, I don't know how it relates to asynchronous usb but people report differences with expensive well regarded dacs (my post 1245 in the AO thread):

I don't want to clog up this thread but I thought you may be interested in Pearse's report on Tir Na HiFi forum a few weeks back (if you haven't seen it).

Seb brought round his Paul Pang V1 USB card yesterday and we went through swapping and listening between these 3 cards:

Paul Pang V1 USB.

Paul Pang V3 USB.

JCat USB.

All were tested in the same Audio PC with Server Essentials 2012 R2 in Core mode with JPlay 5.2.1 and AO 1.30.

All were playing into the Big7 DAC with PPA Red USB cable.

Both PPA V1 & V3 cards were fed with 5v on Molex from an Anker Astro Pro2 20000 mA Battery.

The JCat had no 5v connected as the Big7 did not need the 5v line and all filtering was off on the card.

The PCI riser had the 3.3v supplied off a Teddy Pardo Linear supply for all 3 cards.

My impressions were:

PPA V1 had similar but probably better analogue sound than I remember from my V2 card and very similar to the latest V3 card but for me the V3 just had more warmth but still all the detail, so much so you tend to just focus on the music when you hear it through the V3 card.

The JCat has what appears to be a more defined brighter sound but after a while you really miss that warmth and musicality of the V3 card.

Some might prefer that sharper brighter presentation of the JCat card but the V3 is a clear winner for me with the V1 not too far behind.

I expect the V3 card will continue to improve over the coming days as I had only about 20 hours on it so far.

Cheers, Pearse.

Tír Na HiFi • View topic - PPang V3 USB Card

Alrainbow replied:

The ppa ver 3 was to bright for me as was the JCAT too. Only the ver 2 seems right for me.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/whos-used-audiophile-optimizer-windows-2012-server-or-windows-8-a-17897/index50.html

Planning to use WS 2012 with AO and HQPlayer in Minimal Server mode.

Does the HQPlayer work under WS 2012 ?

I got the impression that it doesn't.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Does the HQPlayer work under WS 2012 ?

I got the impression that it doesn't.

absolutely yes, and with Audiophile Optimizer !

Bob Sherman is one of the trail blazers, getting it working in all 3 modes. Phil is working on update that will allow HQ Player to run in Core mode without needing to add / start extra DLL's

I quickly got HQ Player running in GUI mode, and with a little bit of tinkering got it working in Minimal Server mode with my Exasound E20

the SQ realism upgrade in Minimal Server mode from my Win 8 is incredible. The extra detail I hear on my Redbook files processed by HQ Player using Polysinc filter and DSD 7 SDM modulator being delivered to the E20 at 11.289 MHz DSD is simply astounding.

the downside is the 35 second setup time for the Polysinc filter and you really need a Quadcore i7 or similar

with the SQ uplift brought about by WS 2012, I think medium price DSD 256 DAC's such as the Exasound's, Bryston BD3 and the new Moon DSD DAC are ready for a shootout comparison with the topline PCM DAC's.

however I expect the Lampi B7 is in a class by itself . . .

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

Does it need any special procedures to make it work under AO ? Is there a guide somwhere ?

so the steps are

- set up WS 2012

- download and install HQ Player

- download and install the USB driver for your DAC

- download and install Total Commander

- write a batch file in your home user directory that will

- change directories and START the Total Commander .exe

- change directories and launch any .exe which your DAC may need to make the USB connection

- change directories and START the HQ Player .exe

- test run the batch file to see it runs properly in WS 2012 standard mode

- you can also set up buttons in Total Commander to launch HQ Player, but I have not tried this

- start AO with the st command

- select either GUI mode or Minimal Server mode and be patient as AO reconfigures the OS

- START the batch file which you wrote

- drag and drop music folders from Total Commander window to HQ Player window

i find the two most interesting SDM modulators to be

- DSD7 very transparent, all beauty and warts revealed

- ASDM5 slightly filtered and distilled, can bring out the essence of the music especially on recordings that are not first class

I find the best filter to be Polysinc, but there is a 35 second DSP setup time and you need a fast math capable quad core CPU

check out the HQ Player Kickstarter thread for more info on HQ Player settings and how volume control is implemented and how and when the default settings come into effect. The HQ Player thread has a lot of info too

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

Admin, i will include support for HQPlayer in core mode with AO 1.31. Release will probably be in March or April, but i expect the first beta to be available very soon. It will make HQPlayer work in core mode, hopefully without the need for any other applications like total commander. I will include shell replacement for HQP and so on. I'll give my best to make HQPlayer a smooth experience in core mode! I heard it first time last night, and i must admit i was deeply impressed. (and it works even in my JPLAY Dual-PC System!)

For all interested in PPA articles, check out the reduced prices at our store here -> https://www.highend-audiopc.com/store.html

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide