Schiit Modi 2 Uber $149

Schiit Vali $119

Sennheiser HD 598 $165

Total $1,711

Portable w/IEM:

Apple 64Gb iPod Touch $299

Noble 4, $450

Total $749

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

I'm happy with this desktop setup:

Centrance DacMini $800

Audioengine A5+. $400

Audioengine S8 Sub $350

Toshiba Core i3 All-in-one ~$850

JRiver MC 17 $50

Blue Jeans Cables ~$50

And, for those moments when the spouse says "turn that s--- down!":

Sennheiser 650 headphones $500

So there you are, just under $3000. The Audioengine 2.1 has plenty of juice for a small room, not just a desktop.

You could do better than the Toshiba for a computer, I'm sure.

When you factor in used equipment (as "Mike" has) it becomes an almost impossible task of recommending systems at specific price points. The options are so vast and pricing so variable I'm not sure how anyone could truly pinpoint specifics on an ongoing basis.

That said, any system in that range would have to include a used Naim Nait5i. The dac could be any of the usual suspects that are popular and of course used. The speakers, ah yes, the speakers, well I would look at the smaller Vandersteen 1c, used of course, or one of the current Kef R series small floor standers (the superb R500 used) at around $1500 to round out the system.

Killer system.

Nait.........$1000

Dac...........$500

Speakers..$1500

Total........$3000

Ridiculous performance at a bargain price.

Oops, forgot the computer. Make it a Mac Mini. Guess I'm over budget....again.

PS. Paradigm? Don't think so.

David

My main system comes in right at or slightly above $3000. This system sounds great to me and was very easy to set up. Having just received my Pono, I could see someone using it as their source/DAC for a "budget system". Once PMW works out the kinks in the software that is. External Hard Drive, Mac Mini, Audirvana, Peachtree Decco 65, Zu Omen

Even theough youtube that sounds very crisp & clear ..and I guess the band-in-the-room feeling is there too.

Cant go wrong with dynaudios :)

ABSOLUTELY SIR!

DYNaudio FTW!! :)

~Jason

Macbook black| consonance usb-spdif|Muse NOS DAC | Yamaha A-s700 | Dynaudio audience 52se|

cables: pangea ac9, DH labs Q9 silversonic, chord company crimson interconnect, BJC digital coaxial cable

When you factor in used equipment (as "Mike" has) it becomes an almost impossible task of recommending systems at specific price points. The options are so vast and pricing so variable I'm not sure how anyone could truly pinpoint specifics on an ongoing basis.

That said, any system in that range would have to include a used Naim Nait5i. The dac could be any of the usual suspects that are popular and of course used. The speakers, ah yes, the speakers, well I would look at the smaller Vandersteen 1c, used of course, or one of the current Kef R series small floor standers (the superb R500 used) at around $1500 to round out the system.

Killer system.

Nait.........$1000

Dac...........$500

Speakers..$1500

Total........$3000

Really surprised you would put Kef R500 above paradigm studio 60s...I have heard both and no comparison imho...

Killer system.

Nait.........$1000

Dac...........$500

Speakers..$1500

Total........$3000

will have to check out this Naim Nait5i, though...

Really surprised you would put Kef R500 above paradigm studio 60s...I have heard both and no comparison imho...

Which actually goes back to the point I was trying to make. Obviously there is a comparison possible with anything. What for one fellow is simply a non-starter, is the right choice for another. Neither is wrong, they just have different preferences about what is a must and what can be left out.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

My daughters wanted a TT for Xmas, so that idea morphed into this little system

Restored Technics SL D2 with Cart - $210

Audioegine A2 powered speakers - $189

Audioengine B2 bluetooth receiver - $189

Schitt Passive Pre - $49

Cambridge Phono pre used - $100

Discounted wireworld IC's - $49

I've been running it in for them and it sounds pretty nice. The B2 and the Schitt passive are the real suprises. I've hooked them up to my custom 300B monoblocks and audio note speakers, and streaming Tidal from my Ipad sounds pretty damn good.

For a "real" stereo, I think you can't go wrong with used Naim (Nait 5i, Untiqute) or Rega(Brio R, DAC, RS3 speakers) gear and used Totem (Arro, Raincatcher, Mite, or even Hawk), Neat or Epos speakers. I could put together a very nice system from Audiogon etc for less than $3K. I personally find NAD, Paradigm, PSB etc to be lacking that last bit of realism.

ROON Rock NUC, ALLO usb bridge, Exogal Comet, LTA MZ2, Quick Silver Mid Monos, Audio Note AN/E.

After thinking about this a little but more I have thought of a system in the $1000 range also. All new.

Sonos Connect Amp"..................$500

Definitive Technology SM45.........$400

WD MyCloud NAS 2t...................$150

Total.......................................$1050

David

Which actually goes back to the point I was trying to make. Obviously there is a comparison possible with anything. What for one fellow is simply a non-starter, is the right choice for another. Neither is wrong, they just have different preferences about what is a must and what can be left out.

agree, and understand different people like different things, and I probably wouldn't have even commented, except for the op's comment about not liking the paradigm studio 60s ..(grin)...

After thinking about this a little but more I have thought of a system in the $1000 range also. All new.

Sonos Connect Amp"..................$500

Definitive Technology SM45.........$400

WD MyCloud NAS 2t...................$150

Total.......................................$1050

I checked out reviews on the DT SM45s and they look pretty good. Have you heard paradigm studio 20s? I have been looking for a good price on some paradigm studio 20s but if you heard these and think they are better than the paradigms, I would certainly buy a pair to try them out?

I checked out reviews on the DT SM45s and they look pretty good. Have you heard paradigm studio 20s? I have been looking for a good price on some paradigm studio 20s but if you heard these and think they are better than the paradigms, I would certainly buy a pair to try them out?

Not a big fan of Paradigm but many are so its hard to say unless you try them yourself.

I have heard both, yes. Aren't the Studio 20's quite a but more money, like close to 4x the price? The SM45's RETAIL for $400 a pair. Not really comparing apples to apples there.

The much larger SM65's at $900 a pair are closer in price.

Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 Speakers – Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 Speakers Review | Audioholics

David

Not a big fan of Paradigm but many are so its hard to say unless you try them yourself.

I have heard both, yes. Aren't the Studio 20's quite a but more money, like close to 4x the price? The SM45's RETAIL for $400 a pair. Not really comparing apples to apples there.

The much larger SM65's at $900 a pair are closer in price.

Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 Speakers – Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 Speakers Review | Audioholics

I mostly buy used stuff. I think you can pick up a pair of paradigm studio 20 v3s used for around $400 if you shop hard enough. Maybe the speakers you mention aren't that old where you can compare to. I am surprised at anyone that has listened to the paradigm studios that didn't fall in love with them compared to anything else in the price range. To me, and many others, there aren't anything that are even close in comparison in the same price range....at least nothing I have heard so far, that is why I am always asking and trying new speakers (grin). WIth advancement in technologies all the time, I am always curious if something newer can be found that sounds better for same price range. The SM45s seem to have pretty good reviews. I have heard good things about B&W 685s2 also...I may have to try them both out.

The Pioneer BS22 speakers should be a good contender for a budget setup.

New to the forums and after doing a lot of reading and wanting to upgrade my system here is what I have come up with as a starting point for my FLAC files and those are the speakers I chose to start with.

Toshiba Laptop (My only computer, would like to upgrade to a headless Mac Mini type setup in future upgrades)

Harman Kardon HK3390 Receiver (owned already)

Audioengine D1 DAC ($145, just purchased)

Pioneer BS22 speakers ($125, just purchased)

1TB HDD NAS (previously owned)

JRiver (on trial and love it, will be buying for $50)

This could easily be done up with new stuff (inc. receiver and computer) for well under $1000, the speakers only just arrived today and I have not set things up yeat but I suspect this is going to be a great budget starting point for myself to grow from.

Home grown AMD Rig - $700 (2010)

Foobar 2k with Asio - Free

Adcom Poweramp - $400 (1999)

Klipsch RW-12D - $350

Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus - $500 (2014)

Audio Quest USB, RCA and Monoprice XLR to RCA - $130

Panamax stablizer - $200

Question for the group, would you spend more money on the cable and linear power supply to augment this setup.

Reference -> WIIM Pro Plus powered by Larry's HDPlex-> CA DacMagic Plus -> AudioResearch DS225 Audioquest XLR -> Sonus Faber Olympica 2 Kimber Speaker Wire

Family Room -> ALOO DIGIONE -> SPDF-> Onkyo TX-NR609 -> 7.1 In Wall Polk Audio SVS Sub (Home Theatre)

Living Room-> BlueSound NODE Gen3-> Carver THX Amp -> NHT Zero + SVS SB-1000 (LivingRoom)