IGNORED

BUDGET SYSTEM, who thinks they put together the best system on LOW Budget

Now in this my answer is reversed. I can get behind your second example, but have not found many $400 amps I could live with using the aforementioned Magnepans, which might be one of my choices. Heck, there is not a speaker in my home that I could pair with most $400 amps due to their load characteristics.

I agree about the Maggie's. You need to choose wisely.

The Line Arrays I mentioned are particularly easy to drive and image better than any planar speaker I've heard to date. The difference was not subtle.

I hadn't bothered to look at them before. Interesting, and stunning visually. I wonder what could be done using better wood and drivers. I may ponder this concept. I am typically not into DSP, but my foray into HQPlayer the last couple of years has warmed into thinking of it again. Here is a nicer manifestation of them.

Gallery

The Line Arrays I mentioned are particularly easy to drive and image better than any planar speaker I've heard to date. The difference was not subtle.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Those line arrays are intriguing, I'll grant you, but...

You better know what you're doing in the DIY realm. That is not a newbies kit. I would never tackle that.

$2000 is underselling the cost. You need active crossovers and subwoofers. All in, not counting the cost of your own labor, you're closer to $5K for those. There are a lot of really nice turnkey solutions for $5,000.

To me, a lot of what's being mentioned here (including my own earlier post) isn't really budget. When I think of budget, I think, what could I get a newb youngster to get that would sound good and get them excited about musical reproduction. Two things I'd recommend they do:

Look for used speakers. Even something like the now discontinued, but still new, Pioneer Andrew Jones line doesn't excite me like these do:

Vandersteen Model 1Rare color! For Sale - US Audio Mart

I'm not really talking about this specific speaker, but rather the value of hunting around for used. But these would be a great find, if auditioned and in truly good shape, for $195.

I would then advise my budding newbie to get a decent AVR, either used or at Accessories4Less or some other seller of factory refurbs. Something like this:

DENON AVR-1513 5.1ch Home Theater Receiver 3D ready | Accessories4less

But mainly I would have them make sure it had HDMI inputs. Yes, HDMI. I think HDMI inputs on AVRs sound much better for DACs than they get credit for around here.

Lastly I would have them get a laptop with HDMI out, and a big enough hard drive for a small music collection. This could be had for less than $200, and with proper searching used or factory refurbed would be great here to.

You're looking at a total system cost of right around $500.

Interesting that you mentioned imaging, since what I noticed immediately is that the drivers are not "time aligned." Is that compensated for by DSP?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Interesting that you mentioned imaging, since what I noticed immediately is that the drivers are not "time aligned." Is that compensated for by DSP?

Yes, although supposedly they are working on a pair that will use passive crossovers. I can't imagine something that complicated sounding good without DSP though.

Correct and am waiting for the passively configured arrays....

The actives use a Behringer X-Over ($299) and add a 2nd amp for $200 (tweeters). Not quite $5K. Call it $4K.

You could come close to $3K with the Zaph 2.5 way Revelator. My goal is to really highlight that it's speaker, speaker, and then speaker.

You better know what you're doing in the DIY realm. That is not a newbies kit. I would never tackle that.

$2000 is underselling the cost. You need active crossovers and subwoofers. All in, not counting the cost of your own labor, you're closer to $5K for those. There are a lot of really nice turnkey solutions for $5,000.

To me, a lot of what's being mentioned here (including my own earlier post) isn't really budget. When I think of budget, I think, what could I get a newb youngster to get that would sound good and get them excited about musical reproduction. Two things I'd recommend they do:

Look for used speakers. Even something like the now discontinued, but still new, Pioneer Andrew Jones line doesn't excite me like these do:

I'm not really talking about this specific speaker, but rather the value of hunting around for used. But these would be a great find, if auditioned and in truly good shape, for $195.

I would then advise my budding newbie to get a decent AVR, either used or at Accessories4Less or some other seller of factory refurbs. Something like this:

But mainly I would have them make sure it had HDMI inputs. Yes, HDMI. I think HDMI inputs on AVRs sound much better for DACs than they get credit for around here.

Lastly I would have them get a laptop with HDMI out, and a big enough hard drive for a small music collection. This could be had for less than $200, and with proper searching used or factory refurbed would be great here to.

If you up it to the Vandersteen 2 models, I'm right there with you. No, you won't get them for $200 used in good shape, but I see a pair of 2Ce Signatures for $1000 on Audiogon currently. I had a pair of 2Ce for 20+ years, and only upgraded when, after I bought my Spectral amp (used), a friend who had downsized and was storing his 3A Signatures offered them to me at a great price.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

A very good point. If on a budget, buying used is the way to go.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

My goal is to really highlight that it's speaker, speaker, and then speaker.

I would gently disagree by saying there's no single strategy because we're all in different situations. I was very happy and content for a couple of decades with a pair of speakers that cost me around $1400 (less trade-in). Upgrades to other parts of the system actually cost me less than the price of a speaker upgrade, which I didn't feel I needed anyway.

Currently I think a new computer might be the best thing (but not for a little while), or a DSC2 if Miska comes out with it (even though I really like my current DAC).

Other folks might well be in a place where their best upgrade will be a speaker. But not everyone.

The speaker find is great, but I'd rather recommend a simple non-HDMI amp instead.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I would gently disagree by saying there's no single strategy because we're all in different situations. I was very happy and content for a couple of decades with a pair of speakers that cost me around $1400 (less trade-in). Upgrades to other parts of the system actually cost me less than the price of a speaker upgrade, which I didn't feel I needed anyway.

Currently I think a new computer might be the best thing (but not for a little while), or a DSC2 if Miska comes out with it (even though I really like my current DAC).

Other folks might well be in a place where their best upgrade will be a speaker. But not everyone.

My take away from the OP is we are talking about a new setup. As people get into this and time moves one needs may change that don't dictate speakers to enhance the listening experience, especially if you like the sound already, but ways to either make the experience easier with a computer or more retro and getting a good vinyl setup.

If it's someone new I'm going go for as much speaker as possible.

If it's someone new I'm going go for as much speaker as possible.

Yep, and this turns out to be the main challenge for me. I am now settled on & content with the upgradeable RPi + DAC platform as a source...

..but find myself questioning my preference for the Focal Twins, despite my initial insistence on this. It's the best I've heard in that price bracket but now my friend pointed me to discounted new PMC TwoTwo 6's. They come in at around +40% the price of the Focals but apparently offer markedly better performance across the board. But where should I stop increasing my willingness to pay??!

For context, this all started with an intention to get Focal CMS 65, then Focal Solo 6, then Focal Twins, and now the PMC twotwo 6! Of course the answer is: listen to them and make up your mind. Which is exactly what I am planning to do. However, can anyone advise on a ball-park cut-off price/class of speakers that I am auditioning? What is the sweet spot for active monitors price ie where the additional cash spent starts to buy a lot less performance? Shall I just not bother auditioning another class up i.e. PMC twotwo 8, SM9, Barefoots etc which might make me feel bad about taking the Twins or twotwo 6's in the end - or inadvertently spending a fortune on something I might not value as much in hindsight? I intend to use both for hifi and monitoring my DAW..

A very good point. If on a budget, buying used is the way to go.

I'm not always sure thats always the case ... it all depends on who and for what reason they are buying on a budget.

If you have someone to help you and so you know what you want, then buying used can be a good deal. However if you are spending $3000 / £2000 then I would suggest a good dealer who can help you demo some systems and will support you with problems is worth it (IMO).

If you spend your money on second hand (especially talking about eBay), its very easy to go round in circles or you get equipment with problems and you have no recourse except writing off your money.

Personally for £2000-2,5000 I would recommend something along the lines of

Naim UnitiQute with a pair of KEF, Spender or B&W speakers depending on your choice of music* and add a Vortexbox for ripping CDs and streaming server.

If you need to keep the costs down replace the Naim UnitiQute with a Cambridge Audio or Marantz Combo.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Good point, Eloise - At a minimum when buying used you should know what you want, and have some recourse. I've bought two things used, one from an old friend I trust implicitly, and one from a brick-and-mortar dealer selling on Audiogon, so I would have had recourse through the dealer.

I know there are a lot of people on this site with "deep pockets" or people that spend big bucks that would rather have good music than good transportation (grin)....but how about those of you trying to put together a nice sounding system on a LOW BUDGET??

Who thinks they have the best sounding system they can with a low budget (UNDER $3000 total) name it?

Micro pc at frys $150

SSD drive 500GB on sale $200

used 5.1+ AVR with preouts, phono, and supports DSD over HDMI used as a preamp $250

used NAD 218THX amplifier for fronts $300

Pioneer PL550 turntable w/shure cartridge $400

SOny BDPS7200 $250 NEW

Korg 512 DSD DAC $250 w/audiogate software (driver installs easily for foobar wasapi too)

Paradigm Studio 60s used $600

add speakers for surround

I have tried at least 200 different pieces of hardware and I don't think you can buy a more versatile system that sounds better for less.

For slightly more money and slightly less functionality, "possibly" slightly better sound.

Replace Sony BDPS7200 $250 + Korg DAC $250 with Marantz SA8005....but I went with above configuration so I can play DSD & FLAC from flash drive. (also gives me multi-chan SACD vs stereo SACD).

I am sure I will see someone that says iPhone connected to ifi to beats headphones, but looking for systems with slightly more versatility and with speakers.

Hello Mike McSweeney:

How are you doing, I'll play along....

My $3K System:

Speaker System -- Vandersteen 2Ce -- $1,000.00 (Used)

Power Amplifier -- NAD 2200 Power Envelope -- $250.00 (Used)

Preamplifier/DAC -- Cambridge Audio DAC Magic -- $430.00 (New)

PC Laptop -- Toshiba Satellite E45-B406 (8GB Memory/1TB/Windows 8.1) -- $300.00 (Refurbished)

NAS Server -- Synology DS214Play -- $260.00 (Used)

Hard Disk -- Western Digital Red 3TB -- $280.00 (Total)(@ $140.00 Each Times Two)(New)

Digital Cable -- Kimber Kable B-Bus USB Cable --$80.00 (Computer-To-Preamplifier/DAC)(New)

Interconnect -- AudioQuest Black Mamba II Premium -- $140.00 (One Pair)(New)

Speaker Cables -- AudioQuest Type 4 -- $210.00 (8 Foot Pair -- Bi-Wired)(New)

System Total -- $2,950.00

With your next paycheck, add:

Turntable -- Pro-Ject Debut Carbon USB Turntable -- $500.00 (New)

Phono Cartridge -- Ortofon 2M Blue -- $240.00 (New)

HAPPY LISTENING EVERYONE!!!!

--Charles--

I know there are a lot of people on this site with "deep pockets" or people that spend big bucks that would rather have good music than good transportation (grin)....but how about those of you trying to put together a nice sounding system on a LOW BUDGET??

Who thinks they have the best sounding system they can with a low budget (UNDER $3000 total) name it?

Micro pc at frys $150

SSD drive 500GB on sale $200

used 5.1+ AVR with preouts, phono, and supports DSD over HDMI used as a preamp $250

used NAD 218THX amplifier for fronts $300

Pioneer PL550 turntable w/shure cartridge $400

SOny BDPS7200 $250 NEW

Korg 512 DSD DAC $250 w/audiogate software (driver installs easily for foobar wasapi too)

Paradigm Studio 60s used $600

add speakers for surround

I have tried at least 200 different pieces of hardware and I don't think you can buy a more versatile system that sounds better for less.

For slightly more money and slightly less functionality, "possibly" slightly better sound.

Replace Sony BDPS7200 $250 + Korg DAC $250 with Marantz SA8005....but I went with above configuration so I can play DSD & FLAC from flash drive. (also gives me multi-chan SACD vs stereo SACD).

I am sure I will see someone that says iPhone connected to ifi to beats headphones, but looking for systems with slightly more versatility and with speakers.

Hello Again Mike McSweeny:

And Here's My Mobile System....

MOBILE:

Mobile Music Player: Apple iPhone 5S 32GB (2013-14) -- Presently Own (In Space Gray)

Lightning-To-USB Cable: Pangea Extreme Cable (New From Audio Advisor) -- $45.00

Headphone Amplifier/DAC: Oppo Digital HA-2 (New) -- $300.00 (Hybrid Class A/B; USB DAC; Supports 24/384)

Headphone Equalization Software: Good Hertz Can Opener -- $9.00 (@ Apple Store)(With Hi-Fi Pack & Pencil EQ Options)

Wi-Fi Modem: Apple AirPort Express -- $100.00 (@ Apple Store)

Headphones: Sennheiser HD-598 (New) -- $250.00

Mobile Cloud Connect Software: Synology QuickConnect -- Free

System Total: $704.00

--Charles--

Hello Mike McSweeney:

My $3K System:

Preamplifier/DAC -- Cambridge Audio DAC Magic -- $430.00 (New)

PC Laptop -- Toshiba Satellite E45-B406 (8GB Memory/1TB/Windows 8.1) -- $300.00 (Refurbished)

Hard Disk -- Western Digital Red 3TB -- $280.00 (Total)(@ $140.00 Each Times Two)(New)

Digital Cable -- Kimber Kable B-Bus USB Cable --$80.00 (Computer-To-Preamplifier/DAC)(New)

Interconnect -- AudioQuest Black Mamba II Premium -- $140.00 (One Pair)(New)

System Total -- $2,950.00

--Charles--

$3K System (Revision):

Hello Mike McSweeney:

My $3K System:

Preamplifier -- NAD 1155 -- $100.00 (Used)

DAC -- iFi Micro -- $400.00 (Demo -- Music Direct)

Interconnect -- AudioQuest Black Mamba II Premium -- $280.00 (Two Pairs -- @ $140.00/Pair)(New)

System Total -- $3,160.00 ($160.00 Over Budget.... I'll Take That Extra $160.00 Out Of My Cash Flow From My Wallet)

Headphones -- Sennheiser HD-650 -- $500.00 (New)

Interconnect -- AudioQuest Black Mamba II Premium -- $140.00 (New -- For Turntable)

--Charles--

Charles, I had an NAD PE receiver with the Vandersteen 2 series and felt it needed better amplification. Bought PSE (Professional Systems Engineering) amp and preamp on Richard Vandersteen's recommendation and was very happy. (They were about $700 each in the late 80s/early 90s; the company is no longer in business, though I still have the amp in my desktop system and it works great.)

What is the sweet spot for active monitors price ie where the additional cash spent starts to buy a lot less performance?

It depends.............on your audio sensitivity, your ability to live with "good enough for you" without regret that you didn't audition one more alternative, etc. The Emotiva Pro monitors and several similar alternatives are excellent and far less than the Focals. Whether you can happily live with them is up to you and purely subjective beyond sufficient SPL in your room and similarly measurable parameters. It's all good if you let it be so.

I wouldn't kick any of these out of my listening rooms. I spend more only for a "wow" that endures beyond first listen - and what wows me may well leave you cold. Audition several possibles within your budget. Then listen again in your room with your system if at all possible. Then feel, buy, and enjoy. Don't look back & don't look down - let yourself be happy and don't second-guess.

My budget system:

• Speakers: Tekton-Design M-Lore: 710$ delivered
  • Amplifier: Musical Paradise MP301 MKIII (with pre valves upgrade): 478$ delivered
  • Source: Raspberry Pi2 : 42$ deleivered
  • Dac (for Pi2) : IQaudIO PiDac+ and IQaudIO Picase+: 80$ delivered
  • Speaker cables: knukonceptz.com Karma SS16 and banana plugs: 33$ delivered
  • Interconnect: Mogami 2534 1m: 50$ (a few years ago)

Total: 1393$

franz

Sounds great! We agree on NAD as amp. I bet it sounds great. I never heard of the napa speakers. I have heard some great sounding speakers under $300, but moving up to paradigm studios was a dramatic improvement, that I feel deserving and would be a worthwhile upgrade down the road.

I'm going to replace the Napa Acoustics speakers with a pair of the highly-touted Elac "Debut" B6s at $279/pair when they ship later this month (already have a pair reserved)

George

panel speakers need power. i prefer high efficiency speakers that don't lock you into solid state amplification. tekton mini-lores would be my vote for budget system. also love this integrated (tube/mosfet integrated) - try it some time Amazon.com: Qinpu - A-6000 MKII - Integrated /Headphone Amplifier: Electronics i upgraded the tubes for $20. :)

The Napa Acoustic NA-208A integrated amp

Napa Acoustic :: Products

is a similar deal to the Qinpu A-600 MkII you mention (both are Chinese), but it has more power (25 WPC). It sounds excellent. I've a friend who built his system around a Yaqin MC-100B 100 WPC, dual-mono, integrated tube amp which he bought from an outfit called "Canadian Hi-Fi" for about $600 (they're about $800 these days from the same source). Coupled with a pair of used Magnepan MG 1.6 speakers and some Chinese-built 24/192 (96 via USB) DAC connected to a cheap Celeron-based Windows Laptop running JRiver, it sounds excellent and cost less than $2K! Talk about high-end audio on the cheap! Last time I heard his system it was excellent but he was contemplating adding a powered subwoofer to it. I told him that I think that he was making a mistake as I've never heard a cone subwoofer that would match up properly to the Maggies. Don't know whether he took my advice or not.

George