IGNORED

Dual Band Routers

Currently have a Linksys EA4500 router. This is dual band. I am having issues with newly upgraded Devialet and connecting with its AIR function. I know there are multiple possibilities but I have noticed on numerous occassions that my iPhone and Sonos can't find the router(WiFi) and I have to reboot it to get it to work. A local audio company put in the router and they can "schedule me" to come take a look at it. I am a novice and just learned about dual band routers and realized that I am currently only using one band in my house for everything. The audio company never really educated me on this fact. The current router is 2 years old. I am looking to replace it and take control of it so that I don't have to be "scheduled". I want a dual band so I can place the music on its own band. Any recommendations?

Currently have a Linksys EA4500 router. This is dual band. I am having issues with newly upgraded Devialet and connecting with its AIR function. I know there are multiple possibilities but I have noticed on numerous occassions that my iPhone and Sonos can't find the router(WiFi) and I have to reboot it to get it to work. A local audio company put in the router and they can "schedule me" to come take a look at it. I am a novice and just learned about dual band routers and realized that I am currently only using one band in my house for everything. The audio company never really educated me on this fact. The current router is 2 years old. I am looking to replace it and take control of it so that I don't have to be "scheduled". I want a dual band so I can place the music on its own band. Any recommendations?

It's a little tricky. It sounds easy enough, you just point your music system, computer, iDevices to one bnd while everything (and everyone else) uses other band. BUT, here is the tricky part. If you go to the 5ghz band for your music, etc then you are gaining speed but are losing distance. You can however have a separate router for music if you want to keep one dedicated to it. All you need to do is to go ahead and purchase another router (say an AirPort Extreme) and set it up off your modem as a separate network and only use that network as your dedicated music one. Be sure to install a simple Gigabit switch right after your modem so the new network hs access to Internet for purchasing music, getting artwork for albums, etc.

Problem solved.

PS. I can't quite believe that the Audio shop that sold you the Devialet didn't come out and set it up for you. Nothing is free of course but I would assume they'd be well versed in networks, etc. if they are selling that piece of equipment. You my want to give them a call before doing anything else.

David

I think there are quite a few things to be done/learned about before you even consider replacing the router. From the description of the situation, the router isn't the problem- it should be more than capable of handling what you are doing, it's the nitty gritty details of the installation that could be causing the issue. I would strongly suggest you exhaust all options with the current setup before you make any changes.

First, the idea behind your router is that it is a simultaneous dual band router, it can broadcast two separate WiFi networks on two separate frequency bands, 2.4GHz and 5GHz as realhifi already pointed out. Within these frequency bands, however, only certain 802.11 wifi clients can connect to networks using those bands.

As an example, clients that are 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n can all "see" or connect to networks on the 2.4GHz band. Only 802.11a, 802.11n, and 802.11ac clients can "see" or connect to networks on the 5GHz band. You should list all of your wireless clients, and research what their capabilities are as far as WiFi. As you can see, a device could be 802.11n compliant/capable, but only able to connect on the 2.4GHz band- that is your Devialet. Although the specs I found list it as 802.11b/g/n, it is only 2.4GHz capable. So step 1 I would take is, figure out what clients you have, what their wireless capabilities are, and even what frequency bands they can use. One of the fastest ways to do this is have your 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks named differently- if you can see both networks, you can use either band.

The next step after this is to analyze your client list- are there TONS connecting to the 2.4GHz band? If so, do any of them have the capability to be isolated/connected to the 5GHz band to ease the load on one of them? As realhifi very nicely suggested, if you wanted to isolate one band of your router for the Devialet, all you would need is a wireless bridge/adapter that connects via wired Ethernet to your Devialet and has 5GHz 802.11n capability to connect to your existing 5GHz network. That bridge would connect via 5GHz N to your other resources, and could effectively isolate from other network traffic or congestion on the 2.4GHz band.

Another item to consider, although not so common in today's infrastructure, is that for the most part, your WiFi is only as capable as the weakest link on the network. For example, if you have 802.11b (11Mb max capability), 802.11g (54Mb max), and 802.11n (150Mb max on 2.4 IIRC) connected to your 2.4GHz network, your router is going to throttle down to whatever the slowest client is often so as to not flood it with information. When I first set up my router, I had a Nintendo Wii in all of its 802.11g glory connected to the same 2.4GHz network as some N clients, and when streaming Netflix to the Wii, the throughput would dive for the other N clients until the Wii was turned off. So, lesson from this? Check the configuration settings for your 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. Often, you can restrict access to a certain network to "only N" or "only G and N" etc clients. This segregation can help again to boost network performance.

You mention your iPhone and Sonos not being able to find the router. Are you able to move the router to a more centralized location where it would be better able to distribute the signals? Are you able to move it away from corners/walls/filing cabinets/anything to obstruct the signal? If not, you could very well just need another router or WAP like an Airport Express that realhifi mentioned. One great solution to this is: buy another router or WAP with similar features to your current router plus a powerline Ethernet adapter. Place one powerline adapter near your existing router, connect to it with an Ethernet cable. Place another powerline adapter elsewhere in your home near the new router, connect an Ethernet cable from the powerline adapter to the new router. Set up the new router with the SAME network names and configuration as on your old router, but place the networks on DIFFERENT channels. This way, clients can "roam" freely through your home without being aware of connecting to different networks, plus your signal strength would go way, way up. But that could be more advanced than what you are looking for.

If you know anyone with some networking savvy, I would really recommend having them help you to analyze your current situation- it would be frustrating to buy something else only to have it not help your problem for sure! Also, check the wireless channel being used currently by your existing networks- sometimes changing the channel can help escape interference from other neighbors' networks.

Good luck,

Tyler

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

If the Devialet has an ethernet input, you could get a wireless bridge receiver. I use the Western Digital (wd my net ac wifi bridge) with great success. It is dedicated in my setup for audio components.

The AC wifi router ( in my case Netgear R6700) used in conjunction is very stable, but this is very model specific. I tried a few of the latest Asus ones, and they were shite. Don't be suckered in by the numbers game on the routers. Number of antennas on router and receiver need to match to use the full bandwidth advertised. 5ghz helps with less interference and AC provides good speed.

I had device specific Wifi connectivity issues with an older Linksys router a few years ago. I was on the latest firmware and there was no rhyme or reason to it. I swapped in a Netgear unit and never had another problem. I upgraded to the Nighthawk R7000 recently for the additional range and while expensive, it is an outstanding product.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for their input and Tyler thank you for your excellent explanation. Concerning the iPhone and Sonos not seeing the network, the router sits about 2 feet from the main Sonos units and I can be in the same room and the iPhone May not see my network. If I reboot the router then it can be recognized.

Any router recommendations? The one that I have currently is a Cisco EA 4500. I have considered the AirPort Extreme. I had a discussion yesterday with a software and network researcher for the Dept. Of Defense drone program and those use ASUS for streaming video and for its data transmission speeds.

• 1 month later...

I recently upgraded my Netgear N750 with the Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk and the difference is very noticeable. I have a two story home and run a DNLA server from my office to my Oppo 105 (which is in my living room downstairs) and have added a Roku, Smart Thermostat and multiple tablet/phone devices (all of which had problems connecting to the 5G network).

Now they all can connect to 5G and I haven't found any dead zones in my home. Linksys makes a similar model for more $$$ and I think there is a new Netgear that is even more powerful. This time of year is also a good time to buy, Walmart had the Nighthawk on the shelf, they matched online pricing I pulled up on my phone...and for whatever reason there was some promotion for a $30 gift card with purchase. I used that gift card to buy a Roku Stick for $40....

All said and done, I am quite thrilled to start exploring my "cutting" the cord options with Cable company. I read a few lines from a post up above, but my eyes went blurry...but suffice it to say these new routers are made to handle multi device/technology issues that you seem to be facing. I'd upgrade and see how it pans out...buy from a big box store so you can return it easily if it doesn't pan out.

Good Luck!

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

• 10 months later...

Ok, my head is starting to spin. I'm researching ways to improve my network for optimum music streaming after reading Chris' excellent blog on the subject: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f3-article-comments/article-network-audio-refresher-22022/. I want to essentially do what the OP is trying to accomplish, as indicated in bold above. So far, I'm considering the following hardware upgrades---

Modem: http://www.amazon.com/Verizon-FiOS-Quantum-Gateway-Support/dp/B00QQWFVQY. An upgrade from my current modem/router, the previous generation. Not sure if I can configure this for modem-only use, as discussed here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/fios-router-work-around-22473/. Verizon's modem/routers are proprietary, so no 3rd party modems will do.

Ethernet Isolator: Amazon.com: Acoustic Revive LAN Isolator Rli-1 Eliminate Transmission Noise: Musical Instruments. Maybe.

Router: Amazon.com: TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 Dual Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router, 2.4GHz 450Mbps+5Ghz 1300Mbps, 2 USB Port, IPv6, Guest Network: Computers & Accessories. A simultaneous dual band router.

Switch: http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-16-Port-Unmanaged-GREENnet-TEG-S16DG/dp/B0044GJ516/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1445525570&sr=1-1&keywords=TRENDnet+16-Port+Unmanaged+Gigabit+GREENnet+Desktop+Metal+Housing+Switch%2C+TEG-S16DG. I already own this switch and it works great, so I see no need to replace it.

Wireless Access Point: Amazon.com: TRENDnet AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Access Point, Gigabit, Concurrent, Simultaneous, Multifunction, AP, Client, Repeater (TEW-814DAP): Computers & Accessories. I know next to nothing about WAPs, so I'm considering this because it is the same brand as the switch and supports dual band as well as the latest 802.11 tech.

Ethernet cables: I currently use Cat5e, which I had strung generously around the house when it was being built. Eventually I might consider what Wireworld, Audioquest and others are offering, but for now I'll try Cat6a and Cat7 cables from Microcenter. I will have 12 devices on Ethernet, all except my iPhone and iPad.

Questions:

1) For Verizon Fios users in particular, can the Gateway modem/router be configured for modem-only use?

2) If not, will using it as a modem only, despite not being configured as such, work anyway?

3) Can one of the bands on a dual-band router be dedicated for use with only certain devices? In my case, it would be the Mac Mini and Tivo boxes. I would use the other band for everything else, including two Apple TVs and wireless devices such at iPhone and iPad. Which leads me to...

4) I use the iPad to control Roon, Amarra, Tidal, and the VPN for the Mac Mini. I also stream Roon via AirPlay to the Apple TVs. By default, they wouldn't be able to use the other band. Would having these devices operating on a separate band from the Mac Mini cause any communication problems between the devices?

I will appreciate any helpful suggestions.

*ANTIPODES CX--- Ethernet--->

*CARY DMS-600 STREAMER/DAC---> XLR ICs--->

*CARY SLP-05 preamp (Ultimate Upgrade ed.)---> XLR ICs--->

*CLAYTON M-300 amps--->

*MARTIN LOGAN Spire speakers.

I have Comcast (Verizon) internet service and instead of the supplied modem/router, I use a 3rd party modem only device:

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00AJHDZSI

The modem is connected to an Apple Airport Extreme that serves as a router, switch to several devices & wireless hub. In general, the Apple wireless devices work very well. A bit more expensive but worth the cost IMHO. I generally I get an older versions on ebay or the refurbished Apple store because they also seem to last forever. My main Extreme is one generation out but still has dual band. As mentioned, the 5 GHz band has limited reach so I have everything on the 2.4 GHz band with no issues.

From there, you can do lots of things. In my case, to get Internet connection in my basement where my music system is located, I have a second Airport Extreme (2 generations out) that "extends" my wireless network. The Extreme is in turn connected to a 5-port Cisco switch that allows everything to be connected ... music server, NAS, NAA, Extreme (Internet connection), Apple TV (streaming movies works no problem). I could have used the four Ethernet ports on the Extreme as a switch but decided to go with a Cisco switch instead which allowed me to keep the Ethernet connection between my music server & NAA short and the wireless hub & NAS at a distance.

Amazon.com: CISCO SYSTEMS SG100D-05-NA 5 Port Gigabit Switch: Computers & Accessories

The Apple Airport Express units are also really good to "extend" a wireless network but only has a single Ethernet port. I have several spread out in my house.

As for Ethernet cables, I would suggest:

Data Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

They make them to your specified length and are reasonably priced.

My $0.02...

Years ago Linksys was a good to great router...now? IMO not so much. I used older units then switched to ASUS and they had extremely high range and pretty good throughput but the first unit ran hot...literally hot enough to fry eggs... and required frequent (at least every other day) rebooting due to unstable firmware. This is 3, maybe 4 years ago. This unit fried during a thunderstorm with close lightening strikes. I went to a newer model ASUS with AC routing (even though I had no AC on the pcs/laptops) and it has tremendous range and high throughput but required multiple reboots a day. I finally shelved the unit and went with the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk. My unit is tremendous. I reboot every few months just because. The R7000 is one of the best computer purchases I have ever made. Not even tempted to update to newer units.

Somewhere in the sequence I tried Apple Extremes...no range...really not near the ASUS or Netgear.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

literally hot enough to fry eggs... and required frequent (at least every other day) rebooting due to unstable firmware.

I suspect the reboots were nothing to do with the firmware but due to the bits of white that were getting stuck to the case during breakfast!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.