IGNORED

100 classical highres albums discounted at Qobuz

Classique : notre sélection d'enregistrements HD dans les albums à télécharger en qualité CD (Lossless), Studio Masters

Some great 24 bit stuff there, "unfortunately" I already have many of these.

My recommendations include the Schumann box with Nézet-Seguin, René Jacobs Orlando, the Chopin Etudes with Lisiecki, the famous Kleiber Beethoven 5 & 7, Benjamin Grosvenors dances and Chopin/Ravel, the Bach concertos with Janine Jansen, the Brahms Symphonies with Chailly, the Dvorak Cello concerto with Weilestein, Norma with Bartoli, and finally Martha Argerich's debut recital. All great stuff, recommended.

Only 6 days left on this special offer.

The only item I bought this time is a brand new recording with Thomas Hampson of Verdi's Simon Boccanegra, for €17, in 24/96

Verdi: Simon Boccanegra | Giuseppe Verdi par Thomas Hampson – Télécharger et écouter l'album

0002894786015_600.jpg

Haven't heard it yet, just bought it on the fact that it was Editor's choice for Gramophone, and I really try to support new high-res recordings of opera, given that there are so few. Will report back on this.

Thanks for highlighting the sale!

Like you, I already have most of the ones I would want :/ but here are three that I'd like to point out:

1. the classic Haydn Lord Nelson coupled with the Vivaldi Gloria and Zadok the Priest - old-school, but a true classic recording and very enjoyable listening
  2. Concerto, Venice: The Golden Age - Very well recorded and beautiful Baroque music
  3. Dvorak, Symphony No. 6 / American Suite - Love Dvorak's music, and I didn't have a No. 6, so . . .

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Classique : notre sélection d'enregistrements HD dans les albums à télécharger en qualité CD (Lossless), Studio Masters

Some great 24 bit stuff there, "unfortunately" I already have many of these.

My recommendations include the Schumann box with Nézet-Seguin, René Jacobs Orlando, the Chopin Etudes with Lisiecki, the famous Kleiber Beethoven 5 & 7, Benjamin Grosvenors dances and Chopin/Ravel, the Bach concertos with Janine Jansen, the Brahms Symphonies with Chailly, the Dvorak Cello concerto with Weilestein, Norma with Bartoli, and finally Martha Argerich's debut recital. All great stuff, recommended.

Only 6 days left on this special offer.

The only item I bought this time is a brand new recording with Thomas Hampson of Verdi's Simon Boccanegra, for €17, in 24/96

Verdi: Simon Boccanegra | Giuseppe Verdi par Thomas Hampson*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15039[/ATTACH]

Haven't heard it yet, just bought it on the fact that it was Editor's choice for Gramophone, and I really try to support new high-res recordings of opera, given that there are so few. Will report back on this.

If only they could sell to Portugal!

Many thanks for the information and the recommendations. I already have too many versions of Schumann's and Brahms' symphonies, but still I am probably going to add the Nezet-Seguin and the Chailly that you recommend...

A word of caution: both are very good, but if you already have many versions, none of these are essential to have. So let me further qualify my recommendation.

Nézet-Seguin's Schumann is a bit controversial. I've seen reviews that say he's to mechanical, too rushed, not enough emotions. I completely disagree, I like the speed and the lightness of the Chamber Orchestra of Europe. So far I wasn't fully happy with any of the cycles I had, starting from Szell via Dohnanyi, to Gardiner. I got the set as I wanted to have a new high-res cycle and liked Nézet-Seguin in some other recordings. With the exception of the 3rd, I'm very pleased with it. From the recent recordings, Dausgaard on BIS is a nice alternative, but then again, and at €12 for 2h of music the Nezet box really is excellent value for money.

Chailly's Brahms I just had to get, in spite of having way to many cycles already, as (witnessed by my Avatar) I'm a huge Brahms fan. I also very much like Chailly's and Freire's recording of the piano concertos. What makes this recording special is the sound of the Gewandhaus, very organic (if that makes any sense). The interpretations are middle of the road (not in a negative sense), and very well executed. And again, €17 for 4h of music makes this a compelling case.

Nézet-Seguin's Schumann is a bit controversial. I've seen reviews that say he's to mechanical, too rushed, not enough emotions. I completely disagree, I like the speed and the lightness of the Chamber Orchestra of Europe. So far I wasn't fully happy with any of the cycles I had, starting from Szell via Dohnanyi, to Gardiner. I got the set as I wanted to have a new high-res cycle and liked Nézet-Seguin in some other recordings. With the exception of the 3rd, I'm very pleased with it. From the recent recordings, Dausgaard on BIS is a nice alternative, but then again, and at €12 for 2h of music the Nezet box really is excellent value for money.

Chailly's Brahms I just had to get, in spite of having way to many cycles already, as (witnessed by my Avatar) I'm a huge Brahms fan. I also very much like Chailly's and Freire's recording of the piano concertos. What makes this recording special is the sound of the Gewandhaus, very organic (if that makes any sense). The interpretations are middle of the road (not in a negative sense), and very well executed. And again, €17 for 4h of music makes this a compelling case.

Many thanks for your insights. I'll probably go for Chailly's Brahms, even if I have too many versions already. I am more skeptical about Nézet-Seguin's Schumann. Your review confirms a feeling that I have had when listening to the snippets available on Qobuz: his tempi are really, really fast. Perhaps my perception is influenced by the fact that, the last time I listened to Schumann's symphonies, I played Celibidache's live recordings...

Back on topic:

Radiohead.kida.albumart.jpg