IGNORED

DFF to DSF conversion

PhVL

• 6 months later...

Anybody know why neither Jussi's command-line 1.2.1 or 1.2.2 DFF2DSF nor Bogi's workflow DFF to DSF app will convert a DSD256 5.0 DFF file? I get an immediate 1kb DSF file, with no error message. I have PM's into Peter and Jussi earlier today but nothing yet.

Anybody know why neither Jussi's command-line 1.2.1 or 1.2.2 DFF2DSF nor Bogi's workflow DFF to DSF app will convert a DSD256 5.0 DFF file? I get an immediate 1kb DSF file, with no error message. I have PM's into Peter and Jussi earlier today but nothing yet.

I got the PM, but haven't got time to check yet. At least some multichannel files I was testing with earlier worked OK. But I will certainly look into this. Does the same file work OK in HQPlayer? Both use the same code, apart of course from the DSF writing part.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Jussi

I completely apologize!! I ran movement 3 through HQplayer and it played, so I started with movement 1 (and tried movement 2, too) to do the DFF2DSF. No go. HOWEVER, today when I tried to play any of the 3 in HQPlayer only movement 3 would drag-drop and play, and.....sure enough, only movement 3 gets successfully converted too!! DAMN!

Net/net, it is something on our end, not yours. Complete coincidence that the only one I tested is the only one that is clean. Sorry to bother you. BTW, since I sent you movement 1 maybe you can tell me what's missing. It could have simply been an FTP interrupt or something on our end. I'll try again.

Ted

edit: yes, a big FTP download error on my part. A big...."nevermind"! :)

• 6 months later...

I'm getting a weird error trying to convert DFF to DSF files. The context menu appears, but it searches for "dfff2dsf_multi.bat", which I don't have. I understand that's created by running the initial .bat scripts, but that first .bat script generates no files for me. Anything I should try? (BTW this is with current Windows 10, I'm the administrator)

Silent Win10 Music Server -> Roon -> HQP -> Singxer SU-1 -> Holo Audio Spring -> ECP L2 -> HD800 / Grado HP2i / HE-1000 / JH 13

Win10 and Administrator account is OK.

The setup script AddContextMenuItem.bat should create 2 files in the same folder:

dff2dsf_multi.bat

dff2dsf.bat

If they were not created, then something went wrong. If you are little bit familiar with .bat files, look at beginning of AddContextMenuItem.bat, where dff2dsf_multi.bat is created. There is nothing magic in that.

Try to open Administrator command prompt window, go to the folder where you unzipped installation zip file and run AddContextMenuItem.bat from command prompt window. If you will do so, I don't see any reason why the 2 bat files shouldn't be created. If you get any error message, post it here.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Look at the picture in my previous post and read carefully the PDF guide, compare it with the picture. You didn't provide any details so I cannot answer you better. Maybe you didn't download dff2dsf.exe from Signalyst or maybe you placed it in a wrong folder.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
I have the same files in my folder.

Then maybe you have some trouble with input DFF files. For example DST compressed DFF files are not supported by Miska's dff2dsf.exe.

Try to convert one of your DFF files in command line with dff2dsf.exe.

If you are little bit familiar with .bat files, look at beginning of AddContextMenuItem.bat, where dff2dsf_multi.bat is created. There is nothing magic in that.

Thanks for this. I missed some fundamental step, and I was running a .bat file that somehow had all the meaningful code stripped out. I opened it up and saw that I did nothing, so went and re-downloaded everything from your links.

So now I've got the requisite files, no error messages, but the conversion itself does not seem to happen. Should I be looking for the DSF files in the same folder?

EDIT: this might be a DST issue. I'll do some digging.

Silent Win10 Music Server -> Roon -> HQP -> Singxer SU-1 -> Holo Audio Spring -> ECP L2 -> HD800 / Grado HP2i / HE-1000 / JH 13

It was a DST issue. I went back to the source .iso, re-extracted using your utility from the get-go, and everything works a treat. Thanks so much for your excellent work, Bogi, Ted, Miska, and Mr_Wicked. How Sony must weep to know I'm using the SACDs I bought as I wish.

• 4 weeks later...

I could use a little help. I have an iso file trying to convert to DSF files. I use the dsd2dsf context menu option, and it says success, but all it creates is a cue file. Is that all I'm supposed to get? Then when I try to open the cue file, I get an error "no file found". The cue file is created in the same folder with the source iso I'm trying to split into individual DSF tracks.

No dsd2dsf exists ... are you using ISO2DSF or DFF to DSF ?

Did you download and collect all required files in one folder as is shown on the 1st picture in the ISO2DSF manual?

Is your ISO really a valid SACD ISO?

No dsd2dsf exists ... are you using ISO2DSF or DFF to DSF ?

Did you download and collect all required files in one folder as is shown on the 1st picture in the ISO2DSF manual?

Is your ISO really a valid SACD ISO?

Sorry my first post was unclear, I'm using ISO2DSF. I ran the .bat file to add the "SACD ISO TO DSF PER TRACK" option to context menus. I did look at the pictures of the require files, and I believe I have all of them in the correct folder. I attached a picture of the folder below.

Capture.JPG

This is what I get when clicking on the sacd iso file and selecting "SACD ISO 2 DSF PER TRACK" from the file context menu.

Capture2.JPG

I see the "can't read master TOC" message, so I guess I have a problem with my iso file.

Command line output shows that sacd_extract did not recognize your ISO as standard SACD ISO.

You can try sacd_extract directly, it is command line tool. ISO2DSF relies on sacd_extract.

Hi,

I searched and read many articles and threads on how to convert DFF to DSF. Then I thought what would ROON do? So I copied a DFF file into my ROON library.

To find ROON tagged the DFF correctly, identified it as DSD 64, and placed the info on the album cover art just like it was any other music file.

Next I copied my entire DSD library into ROON which was about 3 terabytes. ROON said "yum yum". In minutes it sorted through the entire library, tagged, imported album art, etc with at least a 98% accuracy.

Problem solved. Another great reason to be a ROON subscriber. Best $500 I ever spent.

Now if ROON could do the same with ISO that would help many others as well.

Latter I confirmed that ROON can tag both DFF and DSF files in their new manual.

As a result I see little reason to convert DFF to DSF.

I'm not sure if ROON is embedding the metadata into the DFF files. But to me it doesn't matter as I'll always be using ROON.

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

For example foobar2000 and JRiver are also able to associate metadata with DFFs, not only Roon. DFFs tagged in foobar2000 are recognized by HQplayer, I tried that. I don't use other audio players but many of them may support some form of DFF metadata. So I wouldn't see DFF metadata support as a special Roon's advantage.

Tagging DFFs is possible only in a nonstandard way, it is not supported by DFF format standard. Some players attach metadata to DFF files (foobar does so), others don't change DFF files but write metadata into tool specific music library database.

Advantage of DSF is that tagging is part of DSF format standard, so compatibility with other SW is guaranteed, metadata is transferred together with DSF files.

If you are using one of the players with DFF metadata support, you don't need to do anything today, at least not urgently. But that state is not futureproof. After some years you may want to use your music content in other player. Deleting SACD ISOs after conversion to DFF means deleting offline metadata contained in these ISOs. Then you may need to do format conversion and to use some online service to tag your DSD content properly.

Tools like Sonore ISO2DSD or my ISO2DSF (both using 3rd party tools) are able to transfer metadata from SACD ISO files for free without need to use online services and embed metadata to DSFs in a standard way. There is no better way to handle DSD metadata.

As a result I see little reason to convert DFF to DSF.

I'm not sure if ROON is embedding the metadata into the DFF files. But to me it doesn't matter as I'll always be using ROON.

Roon doesn't touch your track files, be they .dff, .dsf, or any PCM format.

So as long as you use Roon, the displayed info for your .dff files will be okay (although I have to say I find plenty of errors and omissions in the metadata that Roon uses — I'm really looking forward to the next dot-rev, when we'll supposedly have better control over this). If you switch to something other than Roon for playback, though, you likely won't have any metadata for those .dff files, so you'd do well to heed @bogi's advice.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Thanks Guys,

I new that was too easy. I'll use HFX from Austria to convert the files. Then rescan them into ROON.

I just copied my DSD directory into ROON so if I move it out will ROON rescan and delete these files so I won't gave duplicates?

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

• 7 months later...
On 9/12/2016 at 3:59 AM, bogi said:

. For example DST compressed DFF files are not supported by Miska's dff2dsf.exe.

Hello,

Been searching this for a while.

Looks like without the original ISO, there is no means to convert compressed DFF file to DSF (to add to Roon)?

The foobar2000 plays these DST compressed DFF files just fine.

But not finding way to decompress.

DFF2DSF v1.2.2
Copyright (C) 2014 Jussi Laako / Signalyst. All rights reserved.
error: input file is compressed

44 minutes ago, gixxer said:

Hello,

Been searching this for a while.

Looks like without the original ISO, there is no means to convert compressed DFF file to DSF (to add to Roon)?

The foobar2000 plays these DST compressed DFF files just fine.

But not finding way to decompress.

DFF2DSF v1.2.2
Copyright (C) 2014 Jussi Laako / Signalyst. All rights reserved.
error: input file is compressed

To decompress DFF from DST before the dff2dsf utility need additional command line decoder DstDecoder.exe.

However it work very slow.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

• 1 month later...

I've just bought a DSD iso.  I have extracted the files but they are .dff

I tried Miska's dff2dsf linux program, but it gives an error: input file is compressed

I'm using Linux - is there any way in Linux to convert these files to .dsf?

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.