IGNORED

DFF to DSF conversion

PhVL

Here considered 3 ways conversion DFF to DSF high resolution audio files under Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

1. Via FREE command line tool dff2dsf (Windows, Mac OS X and Linux).

2. Via connection command line tool dff2dsf to HD audio converter AuI ConverteR 48x44 (Windows and Mac OS X).

3. Via connection command line tool dff2wav to HD audio converter AuI ConverteR 48x44 (Windows).

hi

Hi Bogi!

Sorry for the slow reply. Here is the odd thing. The .cue file generated by your program has the correct German umlauts etc. BUT the file metadata titles still have the weird characters that I showed earlier! So both your .cue and the sacd_extract .cue file have the correct characters.

Somehow a mistake is made when transferring those characters to the metadata in the DSF resulting in the odd characters.

For instance, in your ISO2DSF CUE, the entry for title is:

TRACK 06 AUDIO

TITLE "Vorspiel - Prologue: O heilige Götter!"

filename is:

FILE "06 - Vorspiel - Prologue O heilige G tter .dsf

and in the metadata when I open the file with MP3TAG or Jriver, the title is:

Vorspiel - Prologue: O heilige Götter!

And yet my DFF to DSF context menu interface for Miska's DFF2DSF: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/dff-dsf-conversion-21715/#post354558
Hi Bogi!

Sorry for the slow reply. Here is the odd thing. The .cue file generated by your program has the correct German umlauts etc. BUT the file metadata titles still have the weird characters that I showed earlier! So both your .cue and the sacd_extract .cue file have the correct characters.

Somehow a mistake is made when transferring those characters to the metadata in the DSF resulting in the odd characters.

For instance, in your ISO2DSF CUE, the entry for title is:

TRACK 06 AUDIO

TITLE "Vorspiel - Prologue: O heilige Götter!"

filename is:

FILE "06 - Vorspiel - Prologue O heilige G tter .dsf

and in the metadata when I open the file with MP3TAG or Jriver, the title is:

Vorspiel - Prologue: O heilige Götter!

Thanks, that's helpful information. Please attach here yet the CUE sheet, created with "sacd_extract -C -i <ISO>" (you can zip it or rename it to txt before attaching here). I can use that CUE sheet to analyse, which part of code causes your issue.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
And yet my DFF to DSF context menu interface for Miska's DFF2DSF: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/dff-dsf-conversion-21715/#post354558

Hi Bogi,

I installed Miska's DFF2DSF in Win7, then your program in the same directory. When I launch the AddContext...bat, a command line window is open and closed, repeatedly in endless loop. I had to restart the computer because I did not know how to stop it.

Can you suggest anything?

AddContextMenuItem.bat is intended only to add contect menu item for DFF files in Windows Explorer, so it is one time operation. I never experienced the behavior you describe. Do you have administrator privileges on the computer? The script needs to add some registry entries.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Hi bogi,

Thank you very much for your previous help.

I have run through almost all ISO files successfully. ISO2DSF is wonderful, without POP noise and very smooth operation.

I have one issue. One of the ISO file has a track with a very very long track information. DFF is created but DSF is not made in the process.

Is there any way of dealing with this? It might have been asked before, sorry if that is the case.....

Yes, running a administrator

:-(

Then it's some specific issue on your computer, probably related to acces rights and UAC.

Make a copy of AddContextMenuItem.bat in the same directory and rename it to for example AddSendToItem.bat.

Open AddSendToItem.bat in a text editor and delete everything beginning from the line

rem Quick test for Windows generation: UAC aware or not ; all OS before NT4 ignored for simplicity

to the end of file.

Run AddSendToItem.bat

Now right click a DFF file, check the Send to context submenu and let me know, if it functions well.

The result should be like on the picture here http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/dff-dsf-conversion-21715/#post354558, but without the bold context menu item.

Hi bogi,

Thank you very much for your previous help.

I have run through almost all ISO files successfully. ISO2DSF is wonderful, without POP noise and very smooth operation.

I have one issue. One of the ISO file has a track with a very very long track information. DFF is created but DSF is not made in the process.

Is there any way of dealing with this? It might have been asked before, sorry if that is the case.....

Try to lover the value of $albumtitle_length in the cfg file, for example to value 5. If that would be not sufficient, than place your ISO to a shorter path under the root direcotry, for example C:\ISO. If that's still not sufficient, then place the tool to a shorter path (for example C:\ISO2DSF) and run AddContextMenu.bat again.

If still no solution, set $preserveDFF to yes in the cfg file and convert that one DFF file to DSF separately. Then you need to tag it according to other tracks, you can use free MP3TAG for this task.

Try to lover the value of $albumtitle_length in the cfg file, for example to value 5. If that would be not sufficient, than place your ISO to a shorter path under the root direcotry, for example C:\ISO. If that's still not sufficient, then place the tool to a shorter path (for example C:\ISO2DSF) and run AddContextMenu.bat again.

If still no solution, set $preserveDFF to yes in the cfg file and convert that one DFF file to DSF separately. Then you need to tag it according to other tracks, you can use free MP3TAG for this task.

Thank you bogi for your advise.

None of the above works so I need to run DFF2DSF separately.

I forgot about the command line for it.

dff2dsf.exe filename.dff filename.dsf

is not working.

Please advise me.

dff2dsf.exe filename.dff filename.dsf

is not working.

Please advise me.

dff2dsf.exe filename.dff filename.dsf should work, but you have to use full paths to all 3 files in the command line.

dff2dsf.exe doesnt support non ASCII characters in the DFF path, so check for any special characters in path (including filename) and change them.

Alternatively, you can install my context menu extension for dff.dsf.exe:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/dff-dsf-conversion-21715/#post354558

Then it's some specific issue on your computer, probably related to acces rights and UAC.

Make a copy of AddContextMenuItem.bat in the same directory and rename it to for example AddSendToItem.bat.

Open AddSendToItem.bat in a text editor and delete everything beginning from the line

rem Quick test for Windows generation: UAC aware or not ; all OS before NT4 ignored for simplicity

to the end of file.

Run AddSendToItem.bat

Now right click a DFF file, check the Send to context submenu and let me know, if it functions well.

The result should be like on the picture here http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/dff-dsf-conversion-21715/#post354558, but without the bold context menu item.

Thanks - it worked! :D

It does convert files on a local disc. It cannot convert if files are on a NAS.

Thanks - it worked! :D

It does convert files on a local disc. It cannot convert if files are on a NAS.

I didn't try NAS, because at home I am using only single computer with local disk drives. I guess if you would mount a NAS folder as a drive letter, the context menu extension should work. You need rights to write to NAS folder.

dff2dsf.exe filename.dff filename.dsf should work, but you have to use full paths to all 3 files in the command line.

dff2dsf.exe doesnt support non ASCII characters in the DFF path, so check for any special characters in path (including filename) and change them.

Alternatively, you can install my context menu extension for dff.dsf.exe:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/dff-dsf-conversion-21715/#post354558

Thank you for your advise.

I tried all options including Sonore's application.

It all produce not a good result. In MP3TAG, the mentioned tag says 'bad tag' and it can not be saved as the version I wish for.

Maybe this is one SACD I won't be able to rip and store properly : <

You already have the track in DSF format and the only trouble is tagging?

You can try to completely remove the tag information from the file using MP3TAG or Foobar and then add track metadata manually.

You can also use MP3TAG to search for metadata information in online services, like freedb or MusicBrainz and to use it for tagging of your album. If your album appears in those databases.

I am curious what for track title name causes such troubles to all tools.

When you run ISO2DSF, it created CUE file in the created album folder (that's default setting).

You can open the CUE file in a text editor and look at the metadata of the problematic track.

If you have that CUE sheet, I can look at it. Just rename CUE extension to TXT and attach it here.

You already have the track in DSF format and the only trouble is tagging?

You can try to completely remove the tag information from the file using MP3TAG or Foobar and then add track metadata manually.

You can also use MP3TAG to search for metadata information in online services, like freedb or MusicBrainz and to use it for tagging of your album. If your album appears in those databases.

I am curious what for track title name causes such troubles to all tools.

When you run ISO2DSF, it created CUE file in the created album folder (that's default setting).

You can open the CUE file in a text editor and look at the metadata of the problematic track.

If you have that CUE sheet, I can look at it. Just rename CUE extension to TXT and attach it here.

I tried to convert DFF to DSF using DFF2DSF.bat both by context menu and cmd, but it generate dfs too quickly (almost instantly) with same file size. I instead used Sonore to see what is the issue with this track. It generate dsf file but bad meta data.

I will send you cue file by PM.

Thank you for looking into this.

yazsan55 sent me the DFF track and I converted it successfully to DSF with DFF2DSF v1.2.2.

(v1.2.1 and that ended with the known error because of truncated metadata block)

The track title length (taken from the generated CUE sheet) was 238 characters. :o

• 4 weeks later...
Can anybody clarify which, if any, PC based tools can convert to DSF without pops? It seems that some are not having the issue, or is it that maybe some aren't concerned because they don't have many gapless SACDs?

Root9,

I think you might have missed the gist of much of this thread. Bogi's ISO2DSF tool V1.2.2 (WIndows pc-based, with Miska's generous help) takes the approach that since the Mr. Wicked;s original DSF extraction causes pops, and neither DFF nor DFF-to-DSF does (the damage is from ISO to DSF) then why don't we do ISO to DFF to then DSF. The issue in the past (other than needing multiple iterations and maybe multiple tools) was the lack of metadata/tags once one goes down the DFF road. SO.....his toolset, installed and then run from Windows Explorer (autocontext i.e. right click) takes an ISO, captures its table of contents metadata, first converts to DFF, then to DSF, then puts the TOC tags back in the DSF tracks....all in one swoop. This solves two problems: 1) DSF extraction pops; 2) metadata lost if doing this in sequence.

Root9,

I think you might have missed the gist of much of this thread. Bogi's ISO2DSF tool V1.2.2 (WIndows pc-based, with Miska's generous help) takes the approach that since the Mr. Wicked;s original DSF extraction causes pops, and neither DFF nor DFF-to-DSF does (the damage is from ISO to DSF) then why don't we do ISO to DFF to then DSF. The issue in the past (other than needing multiple iterations and maybe multiple tools) was the lack of metadata/tags once one goes down the DFF road. SO.....his toolset, installed and then run from Windows Explorer (autocontext i.e. right click) takes an ISO, captures its table of contents metadata, first converts to DFF, then to DSF, then puts the TOC tags back in the DSF tracks....all in one swoop. This solves two problems: 1) DSF extraction pops; 2) metadata lost if doing this in sequence.

Ted, thanks very much for the thread summary. That is good news, though I am still having pops after using Bogi's tool. This makes me think that the pops are because I have played DSF from foobar, which is converting to PCM on the fly to my audio interface. I will try playing the DSF files without PCM conversion.

Sorry going off topic a bit, but does anybody know if JRiver can stream DSD (as DSF files) to an Oppo 103 without converting to PCM(?) And can the Oppo 103 play DSF files burned to a DVD, gaplessly? Thank you!

Can anybody clarify which, if any, PC based tools can convert to DSF without pops? It seems that some are not having the issue, or is it that maybe some aren't concerned because they don't have many gapless SACDs?

I learned audio content some ISO and found interesting thing:

1. First file has zero DC bias in begin.

2. After 1-2 second it smooth increase to level about -60...-70 dB in one of channel.

3. For all tracks of album the bias has same level.

4. For last track bias smoothly move to zero at end of file.

Thus for same ISOs is not enought convert iso -> dff -> dsf (in order not to lose ISO track's last DSD block audio data, what supposed as reason of click) for removing clicks at begin and end of file.

I created already algorithm of suppressing the clicks at beging and end of file. Now I have in mind more advanced algorithm for DC bias suppressing.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

I learned audio content some ISO and found interesting thing:

1. First file has zero DC bias in begin.

2. After 1-2 second it smooth increase to level about -60...-70 dB in one of channel.

3. For all tracks of album the bias has same level.

4. For last track bias smoothly move to zero at end of file.

Thus for same ISOs is not enought convert iso -> dff -> dsf (in order not to lose ISO track's last DSD block audio data, what supposed as reason of click) for removing clicks at begin and end of file.

I created already algorithm of suppressing the clicks at beging and end of file. Now I have in mind more advanced algorithm for DC bias suppressing.

I too have found there are sometimes clicks at the beginning of tracks and at end. The latest iso2dff2dsf does not always eliminate all clicks. I have made several posts re this.

The only way I find zero clicks is playing the iso files. I use Foobar. I have tagged my iso's and so if ever I need to tag dsf versions at a later date I can very easily and quickly copy the tag properties to the dsf's. I just need to be careful they (individual dsf's) are in the same order.