IGNORED

NAD M12 - released

M12 Digital Preamp DAC - NAD Electronics

http://nadelectronics.com/download.php?140828134325-M12_eng_OM.pdf|M12%20Digital%20Preamp%20DAC%20-%20English%20manual

Its nice to finally see these starting to make their way out and about. Availability in a couple weeks I believe. Hopefully one will be in my rack soon!

I have been very interested in this item since the news broke in Jan. It looks to be similar (functionality) to a CP-800 minus a PEQ.

At this point, DSD is a non factor for me if this performs.

My rig

Looking forward to getting impressions on this. I assume it should offer improved performance over the M51. I was considering getting an m50 streamer to use with my M51 but the M12+bluOS module should be a superior option. Other than DSD it looks like everything is covered for a Dac/pre/streamer

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

I have been waiting M12 also. DSD is not important for me either. Could be little challenging to home demo it here in Finland.

Maybe we can read your testimonial later. Are you thinking about HDMI and BluOS modules? Don't know if those are ready yet.

Also really interested. Biggest for me is going to be phono stage quality....with many DACs nowadays including the M51 not offering analog inputs, you need to use an ADC converter to integrate a turntable - with inconsistent results - or use separate preamp and DAC, which is what I've been doing. It's really a waste of resources and if one box can do three functions well it could be spectacular.

Anyone have an idea what the price will be on this?

$3500 in US. I think the MDC modules are $450. It shows up on Audio Advisor but they don't have them yet.

For anyone in the UK ... Sevenoaks (the UK importer and retailer) say the M12 (£3299) is due in this month and the M17 (£4499) is expected next month.

And a question... will the new BluOS module (and any other new MDC module) be compatible with the C390DD?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

For anyone in the UK ... Sevenoaks (the UK importer and retailer) say the M12 (£3299) is due in this month and the M17 (£4499) is expected next month.

And a question... will the new BluOS module (and any other new MDC module) be compatible with the C390DD?

Looks like it...

NAD C 390DD Direct Digital DAC/Amp w/BlueOS Module | AudioStream

Also interesting is that the USB Audio 2.0 192khz capable MDC can be added to the C390DD. I wonder if this is a significantly better implementation than the 96khz limited one built into the unit?

Looks like it...

NAD C 390DD Direct Digital DAC/Amp w/BlueOS Module | AudioStream

Also interesting is that the USB Audio 2.0 192khz capable MDC can be added to the C390DD. I wonder if this is a significantly better implementation than the 96khz limited one built into the unit?

Thanks ... not seen that report.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

It's really a waste of resources and if one box can do three functions well it could be spectacular.9ce11.jpg

I wish other manufacturers would release some modular pre-amps and integrated amplifiers.

Build the amplifier which has technology which will not change in the next decade. Make sure it has a suitable power supply for not only itself but also an add-on and have a separate slot in module for DAC or streaming.

Eloise

---

Also really interested. Biggest for me is going to be phono stage quality....with many DACs nowadays including the M51 not offering analog inputs, you need to use an ADC converter to integrate a turntable - with inconsistent results - or use separate preamp and DAC, which is what I've been doing. It's really a waste of resources and if one box can do three functions well it could be spectacular.

It's really a waste of resources and if one box can do three functions well it could be spectacular.9ce11.jpg

Double take

• 2 weeks later...
Is it possible to use M12 part of AV-setup? I could not find anything about "ht passthru" or can that achieved via hdmi-module?

That is my undestanding of the way it works (the same way as the NAD M51 pass-thru.) I think the module is available now.

Is it possible to use M12 part of AV-setup? I could not find anything about "ht passthru" or can that achieved via hdmi-module?

I assume you are wanting to output the front "pre outs" of an AVR to the analogue input of the M12 which would be at a fixed level - if so then certainly the C390DD can be setup this way and (AFAIK) it uses the same analogue input MDC board as the M12.

Eloise

---

I assume you are wanting to output the front "pre outs" of an AVR to the analogue input of the M12 which would be at a fixed level - if so then certainly the C390DD can be setup this way and (AFAIK) it uses the same analogue input MDC board as the M12.

Yes, either ARV pre outs => NAD analog (fixed level), like I do with my Linn DS-i now (it's called unity gain in Linn)

or via HDMI somehow that volume can be controlled only via AVR. Linn' HDMI models it's done like that:

700px-DSM_Surround_SetupSpeakers.jpg

Surround Mode *

In Surround mode the DSM can be used to play the two Front stereo channels (FL + FR), of an incoming HDMI multichannel audio stream, while passing the remaining channels on to the HDMI output to be played by an attached AV Receiver product. The diagram below shows how the various components of the multichannel system should be connected using Surround mode.

In Surround mode the DSM will only pass audio to its HDMI output (AV Receiver) when an HDMI input is selected for listening.

Note: To allow the DSM to function correctly in Surround mode, the HDMI output of the Source product (ex. BluRay player) must be configured to output PCM. This setting can be found under HDMI audio settings in the setup menu of your HDMI source product. Please refer to the HDMI source product's user manual for instructions on how to do this.

800px-DSM_Stereo_Setup_Speakers.jpg

Yes, either ARV pre outs => NAD analog (fixed level), like I do with my Linn DS-i now (it's called unity gain in Linn).

After perusing the M12 manual -- http://nadelectronics.com/download.php?140828134325-M12_eng_OM.pdf|M12%20Digital%20Preamp%20DAC%20-%20English%20manual -- if you have the analogue input card; yes, you can configure an input to have fixed volume (see pp12).

I don't think there is an equivalent to the Linn surround mode via HDMI ...

Eloise

Eloise

---

My dad just took delivery of an M12 a few days ago. So far he is very pleased with it. He is planning to use it with the upcoming BluOS module. He talked to NAD and they said November would be the expected availability. Interestingly he is using the SOtM mini-server with the NAD's USB input and it works flawlessly. Initial reactions are very favorable, unfortunately his previous setup was with a relatively inexpensive Wyred 4 Sound dac so no real comparisons yet. He is very happy with it so far though. It is also replacing an Audio Research LS-25 preamp which he is planning to reinsert and see if he likes it better with or wihtout the tube preamp.

Looking forward to getting impressions on this. I assume it should offer improved performance over the M51. I was considering getting an m50 streamer to use with my M51 but the M12+bluOS module should be a superior option. Other than DSD it looks like everything is covered for a Dac/pre/streamer

The lack of DSD support on it somewhat puzzling. After all, the NAD does the conversion of PCM-to-PWM, so couldn't it do the same for DSD64/128/256fs?