IGNORED

NAD M12 - released

• 1 month later...
Any impressions on the DD-BluOS module? I have a c390DD and would like to hear from people who had a chance to play with the BluOS MDC.

I directed my dad towards an M12+BluOS module as he was looking for an easy to use DAC/streamer that would support streaming services. It works exactly as we hoped it would. The only hiccups in setup were because some of the playlists on the Vortexbox (.m3u files) had characters in cyrillic and japanese that caused it to stall. One conversation with NAD tech support (and they called back within an hour of leaving an online reqest) and I was able to figure it out from there. It works great with Tidal, Rhapsody, and Spotify. Sound is excellent, I think it is likely as good of a source as any to use with the M12. One cool thing is the way the BluOS app allows seamlessly integrating online streaming tracks with your own library in the same playlists (something even the vaunted Auralic Aries doesn't do yet.) I compared some Tidal redbook tracks to local redbook rips and couldn't tell one from the other. If you already have a C390DD then I see it as an absolute no-brainer if you are looking for a streaming solution. The iPad app is quite nice once you understand how it works. Coming from a Squeeebox Touch I was quite pleased at the improvements in interface over the Touch. The interface is simple and reliable enough that my technologically-challenged 64 year-old mother is building playlists with the iPad.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Thanks for the post. I'm wondering how it sounds compared to a NAS>PC(WS2012+AO)>USB>SPDIF(AP2)>c390DD/M12 setup. This is what I have right now and the setup is very satisfying. However, The problem is with the too many components in the chain.

Also, it's interesting to hear how the DD-BluOS module can handle the hi-Rez material.

Thanks

Thanks for the post. I'm wondering how it sounds compared to a NAS>PC(WS2012+AO)>USB>SPDIF(AP2)>c390DD/M12 setup. This is what I have right now and the setup is very satisfying. However, The problem is with the too many components in the chain.

Also, it's interesting to hear how the DD-BluOS module can handle the hi-Rez material.

Thanks

It handles 192/24 identically to redbook functionally. Obviously no DSD with NAD. We were using ethernet so we had no data-load issues. Hi-res sounded superb, and was generally easily distinguishable from redbook (depending on mastering quality, as usual.) I can't comment on how it sounds compared to an AP2 but I did listen to the NAD through a tweaked squeezebox and from a SOtM mini-server through the USB input. The BluOS module trumped both of those. I didn't compare it to a dedicated SPDIF source but I did not get the impression anything was being left on the table by the M12. I think the blueOS module is likely the best way to use the M12, it's that good. But I guess the only way to know would be to compare to a dedicated SPDIF converter.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Also really interested. Biggest for me is going to be phono stage quality....with many DACs nowadays including the M51 not offering analog inputs, you need to use an ADC converter to integrate a turntable - with inconsistent results - or use separate preamp and DAC, which is what I've been doing. It's really a waste of resources and if one box can do three functions well it could be spectacular.

I was really interested as well until I had a nice chat with NAD. What I learned was this the phono stage/A/D is in fact the DD AP-1 card that I have used before in a C 3900DD. Phono stage quality was fair and recording resolution through phono stage is limited to 24/96. Recording through the single ended or balanced inputs give you 24/192. I did 3 transfers first through the phono stage at 24/96 second was out of my Nova 2 into the single ended inputs at 24/96 finally through a modded Cambridge audio 651P again single ended at 24/96. Blind listening of raw gain matched wave files through Sequioa UA 2192 Harbeth 40's it was easy to pick the NAD phono stage thin narrow pretty poor, and as usual for me picking between the other 2 was not easy, but I've done it enough so Nova wins but it's damn close. I will say A/D quality is pretty good, but not good enough to justify the cost for my needs. And no headphone amp = silly.

It "may" be a piece that "makes sense" for some, but just kind of an odd duck IMHO.

I was really interested as well until I had a nice chat with NAD. What I learned was this the phono stage/A/D is in fact the DD AP-1 card that I have used before in a C 3900DD. Phono stage quality was fair and recording resolution through phono stage is limited to 24/96. Recording through the single ended or balanced inputs give you 24/192. I did 3 transfers first through the phono stage at 24/96 second was out of my Nova 2 into the single ended inputs at 24/96 finally through a modded Cambridge audio 651P again single ended at 24/96. Blind listening of raw gain matched wave files through Sequioa UA 2192 Harbeth 40's it was easy to pick the NAD phono stage thin narrow pretty poor, and as usual for me picking between the other 2 was not easy, but I've done it enough so Nova wins but it's damn close. I will say A/D quality is pretty good, but not good enough to justify the cost for my needs. And no headphone amp = silly.

It "may" be a piece that "makes sense" for some, but just kind of an odd duck IMHO.

I think the phono input is limited to 24/48 and I agree it's not even close in it's performance to a stand alone phono stage. Eventually I decided to use GCPH phono stage with XLRs into my c390DD/DD-AP1 at 24/192. The sound is so much better.

• 2 months later...
Any impressions on the DD-BluOS module? I have a c390DD and would like to hear from people who had a chance to play with the BluOS MDC.

I have been using this combo for about a month and am pleased overall. Tidal streaming sounds really good. Integration with music stored on my NAS is nicely done. I did have some set-up problems initially. The weak link seemed to be the wireless connection/antenna--for some reason, the connection got dropped randomly in spite of a strong wireless signal from my router. Haven't had that happen since a recent firmware update to 1.16.0, so the problem may have been fixed. Installation of the module was just like adding a card to a computer--quite simple, but make sure to update to the latest firmware or else the card may not be recognized.