IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

I agree with that. I love the software whilst on trial period, but was not convinced initially by the sound quality I was getting and, when I raised it with them, I got a similar response. In fairness, there are so many variables that they are probably safer staying well out of it.

I did resolve the sound quality issues in the end which persuaded me to go for a Lifetime subscription.

I went for lifetime too

in the end sound is good enough and when I want something better... I use the Aries in standalone mode ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I went for lifetime too

in the end sound is good enough and when I want something better... I use the Aries in standalone mode ;)

:). In my system, Aries is a clear third behind MBL and Melco. It lacks a degree of subtlety, transparency and finesse by comparison and compensates with an exaggerated Ooomph factor. Ooomph can be fun sometimes, but it isn't necessarily accurate.

After I substituted the LPS with an Sbooster and fed it from a balanced power supply, it got quite a lot closer. It's at the point now where it is really quite good, until I play one of the other two sources....... So I just use it for casual listening and background music, which means it actually gets more use than either of the other two! ;)

I have always been confused by speaker rake, height and tilt. My speakers, Vienna Acoustics Kiss are quite adjustable. I can toe in or out the bass module. I can also separately toe in or out the midrange and treble drivers. I find toe in solidifies the image and toeing out gives a more open sound, wider soundstage with better instrumental separation and less sibilance.

However, what does speaker rake, height and tilt do? I can lower the mid and tweeter driver to angle down towards me or raise them to point higher but what effect would I get? I would like a warmer balance.

Thanks

With most speakers "warmer" should come with more rear tilt.

I think the Aries Mini sounds great. I've got a SBooster PSU and I'm using an external dac. Given the big changes in SQ between updates I'm asking myself if some form of EQ is used. I have experienced that its very easy to apply EQ using ffmpeg while transcoding on a NAS. This probably could be done within a streamer too. What's known on this point?

I have always been confused by speaker rake, height and tilt. My speakers, Vienna Acoustics Kiss are quite adjustable. I can toe in or out the bass module. I can also separately toe in or out the midrange and treble drivers. I find toe in solidifies the image and toeing out gives a more open sound, wider soundstage with better instrumental separation and less sibilance.

However, what does speaker rake, height and tilt do? I can lower the mid and tweeter driver to angle down towards me or raise them to point higher but what effect would I get? I would like a warmer balance.

Thanks

To get warmer sound you may need to move the speakers closer to a wall (front or side).

You asked a good question but this is really not the correct thread to discuss speaker set up. If you are really interested, start a new thread in the Speaker forum and you may get more responses. There is also some related information posted in the Bowers & Wilkins 800 series 3 discussion, posts #41 - 51, but it would help if you knew what the intended listening axis is for your speakers, i.e., ear height relative to drive units and listening distance.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f12-headphones-and-speakers/new-bowers-and-wilkins-800-series-25738/index3.html

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Beta Firmware Release Notice

Current Beta Version: 4.0 (Released on 9th September 2016)

New Features since Version 4.0.Beta7:

Auto resample PCM sampling rate below 44.1K to 44.1K or 48K to resolve radio station playback issue

Fixes since Version 4.0.Beta7:

Particular type of AIF file wont play

Invalid seek track commend lead to device device dead-lock

AACP file or radio station wont play

Improvement since Version 4.0.Beta7:

Sound quality improvement, especially at higher sampling rate

Better DLNA server compatibility by ignore wrong MIME information

This just in from testflight@auralic:

"Hi, Doak:

Thanks for the feedback, we believe on our measurement and what I heard in our testing system. Everything we brought in recently updates are absolutely positive, we wont roll back for the changes for sure.

The 4.0 final is now been pushed to Beta user this Friday with the final one coming next week.

Enjoy!"

My Aries updated to the new 4.0 and now I don't have USB as an output choice in DS Lightening! I know the port is working as my AudioAlchemy DPA-1 shows a sync on USB!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

My Aries updated to the new 4.0 and now I don't have USB as an output choice in DS Lightening! I know the port is working as my AudioAlchemy DPA-1 shows a sync on USB!

I don't see "USB" among output options: I see the device connected via USB (Audiophilleo, here) and... it works just fine ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I don't see "USB" among output options: I see the device connected via USB (Audiophilleo, here) and... it works just fine ;)

Yeah I guess that's what I meant :) I don't see my DDP-1 listed, only Digital Output.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

4.0 no longer allows Roon to control Aries volume, has anyone else experienced this?

I'm trying to figure out how to go back to 4.0 beta7. I've done this before but for some reason I can't figure it out now. Suggestions would be gladly received.

4.0 no longer allows Roon to control Aries volume, has anyone else experienced this?

I usually keep it disabled but I just tried and... works fine

after enabling "Software volume control" in Lightning DS you'll see a tiny "Refresh" grey button in the sidebar, underneath your device: click it and... ;)

headphones system:

Are you referring to Aries control software or Roon? With mine, it works ok when using Lightning DS but not when using Roon. If you adjust volume in Roon, it just keeps jumping back to whatever it is set to under LDS.

Bizarrely, my other Aries is still stuck at 4.0.7 and I have software volume control disabled on that unit! I can't just swap them over as one is LE and one is full fat.

Are you referring to Aries control software or Roon? With mine, it works ok when using Lightning DS but not when using Roon. If you adjust volume in Roon, it just keeps jumping back to whatever it is set to under LDS.

right, same happens here :(

sorry: at first I only tried setting it without playing any music (and it was sticking to whatever level I was setting in Roon), but as soon as I did... :-/

looks a bug to write Auralic support about

headphones system:

btw... tried playing, from Lightning DS, a DSD64 but forgot the Chord Mojo was connected via coax, not USB

the Aries was really struggling at downsampling it to 192: I was getting 3-5 seconds of music then 8-10 of "buffering" and so on :-/

tried playing the same track from Roon (to the Aries) and all was fine

headphones system:

4.0 loaded on my wired Aries but can get my wireless Aries to update .

Turned it off and on again but 4.0 won't show .

I have exactly the same here. Ethernet connected Aries updated to 4.0 and then 4.0.0 (the latter one has fixed the Roon volume control).

The unit connected wirelessly shows 3.0 beta 7 as FW up to date.

I have exactly the same here. Ethernet connected Aries updated to 4.0 and then 4.0.0 (the latter one has fixed the Roon volume control).

huh? 4.0.0? :-0

looks my Aries too is now on 4.0.0 but did it all on its own :rolleyes:

I was, instead, prompted for (and asked if I wanted to) install 4.0: this is the way I'd like updates to happen! :angry:

headphones system: