IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

Before delving too deeply into this, I just wondered if anyone knows what might be the cause?

Maybe Kinsky is smarter than I thought. Mp3 on a high end system? It says, Nope!

I have zero Mp3 on my drives so I'm not able to help.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Agree!! Also have a Vibrapod under the LPS and any drive plugged into the Aries. Best 6 bucks you can spend in audio!!

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

Haha, indeed. In fact, the first thing that went through my mind was "Maybe this is a Linn thing..."

I don't have many MP3's either. That's probably why I never noticed this before.

The few that I've had I always convert them to AIFF. Not for sound quality but just so they will work and act like everything else within my library. If you have something to easily convert them that's what I'd suggest.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

The few that I've had I always convert them to AIFF. Not for sound quality but just so they will work and act like everything else within my library. If you have something to easily convert them that's what I'd suggest.

If I ever become a heavy Kinsky user, I might do that, but in the meantime it's kinda weird that it trips up over lowly MP3 while playing everything else just fine.

Otherwise, I really like Kinsky for all the usual reasons. It's nice (while using a Mac or PC) to play music without needing to reach for an iPad.

If I ever become a heavy Kinsky user, I might do that, but in the meantime it's kinda weird that it trips up over lowly MP3 while playing everything else just fine.

Otherwise, I really like Kinsky for all the usual reasons. It's nice (while using a Mac or PC) to play music without needing to reach for an iPad.

I agree. The only thing I do not understand is the lack of a search function. It drives me crazy!

It took me a while before I found this.

You have to pinch down in the library field to get the search bar visible.

What do you mean by "pinch down" and how do you do it?

I'm using version 4.3.17 on my MBAir.

**EDIT** You're showing the iPad version. Correct? I'm talking about using it on my MBAir not iPad. On iPad I use DS Lightning.

It's nice (while using a Mac or PC) to play music without needing to reach for an iPad.

It took me a while before I found this.

You have to pinch down in the library field to get the search bar visible.

**EDIT** You're showing the iPad version. Correct? I'm talking about using it on my MBAir not iPad for the same reason above. On iPad I use DS Lightning.

Maybe Kinsky is smarter than I thought. Mp3 on a high end system? It says, Nope!

I have zero Mp3 on my drives so I'm not able to help.

It is because the Aries has a missing mime-type descriptor for mp3 files. Some CPs care about this, others don't. In the end it's not a bug in kinsky.

Yay!

It is because the Aries has a missing mime-type descriptor for mp3 files. Some CPs care about this, others don't. In the end it's not a bug in kinsky.

If you report this to AURALiC they will fix it if it is indeed a problem with the ARIES/LDS.

**EDIT** You're showing the iPad version. Correct? I'm talking about using it on my MBAir not iPad for the same reason above. On iPad I use DS Lightning.

Yes, I am referring to Kinsky app on my iPad where you can swipe down, like pulling down a curtain.

Hi Guys,

I'm new to all of this, and don't might admitting I'm clueless to what's needed for the Aries, which I'll have in home in two weeks and intend to start off by using it with a Haldier DAC HD until I've a better feel for more costly DACs.

But from what I've gathered from reading through a few of the postings on it, it seems that either Synology or QNAP NAS are the ones to go with, yet I'm lost with what's referred to in its quick start menu as streaming service and the likes, I'm I to use the Lumin - Lighting DS or something like Media Connect Apps?, in tandem with say something like Rdio or Tidal/Wimp, in order to obtain my iTunes music library?. Please advise, as an LP sort since 1982, this is my first venture into this side of digital, yet I'm committed to the cause, but need to know what's what?.

Im open minded enough to hear what needs to be said/done, so please share your insight into how am I meant to go about using said device?, as my dealer only uses either their Vega or Line Magnetic Audio DACs connected to an iPad, so I'm not able to get much help from him on how to even hook this device up to my system. But I'm eager to learn.

LY

As suggested by others here, I finally tried some footers on the Aries. Immediately I heard a more relax, expressive presentation. The footers I'm using are Herbie's Audio Lab Baby Booties. I also tried the same footers on the power supply unit but didn't hear any improvement there.

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter

LY

Try a smaller font :)

Do you already have music files on disk? What format and how large is your library?

"Streaming services" is for getting music (you don't own) over the internet. Tidal you pay for and Aires has integrated support for that one. I don't use such services.

Playing your own music files: Most people have lossless files; typically FLAC. I deleted my entire iTunes library because it was all in lossy formats. If your music files are in a lossy format, think about re-making your library in a lossless format, while waiting for Aires.

You don't need a NAS. Why not start by just putting your music on an external hard drive that plugs directly into Aires USB input. No extra server software needed for this set-up.

Alternatively or additionally, you could copy your music library onto your computer. Then install minimserver on that computer and tell it where your library is located. Aires will talk with minimserver. You only need to have computer on and minimserver turned on.

Personally, I separated myself from iTunes and simply put my music files in a separate folder. I suppose you could direct minimserver to your itunes library.

If you do want to use a NAS, yes Synology and QNAP are the most respected and reliable models but more importantly, they are compatible with minimserver. Suggest you look at what's required to get minimserver on a particular NAS before buying it.

Good luck.

As suggested by others here, I finally tried some footers on the Aries. Immediately I heard a more relax, expressive presentation. The footers I'm using are Herbie's Audio Lab Baby Booties. I also tried the same footers on the power supply unit but didn't hear any improvement there.

Thanks to you and others for posting. I'll buy some footers today and try for myself.

Well looks their is metadata in the DFF files that is crashing the Lightning software. Wang says their will be a fix for this in the next firmware update. I guess I will convert ISO files to DSF in the meantime.

Glad to hear their is nothing wrong with the Aries and I am not nuts :)

Auralic support was on the concern immediately. Glad that I own products from companies like Auralic, Oppo, and Modwright that are second to none in customer support. Thanks again Wang!

Did you get them done? I built a new computer that can convert an ISO to DSF in about 15 seconds. It rips!

I received my Aries LE today. It came loaded with firmware 1.8.2 and I can’t update it as I'm told I have the latest version. My Mytek DAC isn’t recognized - I guess I need at least v1.9 for that.

My dealer mentioned that he received a mail indicating that the Aries server will be down until next Tuesday. This likely explains why I can't retrieve updated firmware.

Shutting down the update server just in time for Christmas doesn't seem to be the smartest move. People who receive an Aries for Christmas won't be able to take advantage of the latest features until next week. That's just crazy.

I’m really disappointed. I’ve been looking forward to receiving this for months. I put it back in the box, as my DAC isn't recognized.

Is anyone else able to receive updated firmware?

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I received my Aries LE today. It came loaded with firmware 1.8.2 and I can’t update it as I'm told I have the latest version. My Mytek DAC isn’t recognized - I guess I need at least v1.9 for that.

My dealer mentioned that he received a mail indicating that the Aries server will be down until next Tuesday. This likely explains why I can't retrieve updated firmware.

Shutting down the update server just in time for Christmas doesn't seem to be the smartest move. People who receive an Aries for Christmas won't be able to take advantage of the latest features until next week. That's just crazy.

I’m really disappointed. I’ve been looking forward to receiving this for months. I put it back in the box, as my DAC isn't recognized.

Is anyone else able to receive updated firmware?

Just send AURALiC an email and maybe they can help. The latest firmware is 1.10. Plug it in hardwired and let it do it's thing...it's not instant anyway. Did you get everything else all setup within DS Lightning? Your dac will work so hang tight.

Just send AURALiC an email and maybe they can help. The latest firmware is 1.10. Plug it in hardwired and let it do it's thing...it's not instant anyway. Did you get everything else all setup within DS Lightning? Your dac will work so hang tight.

Mail sent at least three hours ago. No reply yet.

Lighnting DS app all set up with MinimServer running on my Synology NAS. I attempted an update via this app and it reported that I already has the latest version. Connection is via wired Ethernet.

Mytek just blinks indicating no connection. On Facebook it is mentioned that the Mytek driver is included in 1.9.

I will try it again later. I hope I'm wrong about this. I can't imagine that updated firmware would be taken offline just in time for Christmas. My LE shipped from China last week with 1.8.2. Anyone receiving theirs for Christmas will also need an update.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hi,

I'm kennyb123's AURALiC dealer. According to an email I received earlier today, the Aries server is down until Tuesday in preparation for a firmware update. No Aries will be able to update firmware before that server is back up. So I'm afraid unless something changes new Aries owners are stuck with the installed firmware until Tuesday.

The latest firmware is 1.10. Plug it in hardwired and let it do it's thing...it's not instant anyway.

It's been sitting for an hour hard wired. Still at firmware 1.8.2 with the message "Your firmware is up to date" displayed in Lightning DS.

Terrible out of the box experience, as it's useless to me until I can get the firmware updated. Extra dollars were wasted on expedited shipping so I would get this by Christmas.

No reply to my mail yet either.