IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I, too, am enjoying the sound (or the lack of any coloration or sound at all) provided by my JS-2.  I have decided to move off into a different direction with regard to my DAC by replacing the iFi Pro iDSD with a Denafrips Terminator Plus R2R unit.  I will be driving it via USB from a fanless PC by Logic Supply/OnLogic.  The PC is currently powered by a ubiquitous wall wart sort of switch mode power supply and I hope to be able to power it from one of the JS-2 rails that will now be freed up when the Pro iDSD is out of the system.  The fanless PC requires +12VDC which the JS-2 can do and now my only hope is that the existing power cords that I purchased are correctly sized.

Happy holidays to all and a very good new year as well!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

As luck would have it, the connector on the computer's power supply clocks in at a barrel diameter of 5.41mm and the connector on the JS-2 is a "fat" 5.51mm.  I suppose I'll either need another cable, modify this one or get an adapter if there is one.  Any thoughts on how best to proceed?

Thanks!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Please disregard my previous post because I apparently had my head up (my you-know-what) and locked.  The reason the connector on my JS-2 DC power cable didn't fit was not because of the barrel O.D. but because the barrel I.D. was 2.1mm instead of 2.5mm that is the pin size on the fan-less PC.

So I need to either 1) obtain another DC power cable with a 5.5mm x 2.5mm connector on both ends, or 2) obtain the correct connector and replace the one on one of my current cables or, 3) and as a last resort, attempting to enlarge the hole in the connector load end of one of the connectors using an appropriate methodology.

I was unable to find a link to purchasing a new cable or possibly a connector by itself from Superdad's website and maybe he can help me next week.

14 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-gac4.html

Just received one myself. 

image.jpg

Thanks for the link and the memory jogger because I have used these guys in the past and they have some very nice products!

4 minutes ago, Mihaylov said:

Exelent connector .

I found some and I agree they are excellent connectors and, probably, the same ones that UpTone uses from VH Audio here in the States:  https://www.vhaudio.com/oyaide-dc.html

11 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Nope. Uptone is the only company in the world that have access to these special Oyaide plugs they use. 

UpTone and I are in very good company then.

I was able to temporarily adapt one of my UpTone 2.1m cables to 2.5mm using a standard run of the mill one inch long straight adapter that I had lying around in my junk box and both the iDSD and the computer are now running from one each of the JS-2 rails both set at 12VDC.... Well sort of.

Previously to having put the computer on the JS-2 power supply, I had a diminishingly low amount of computer "hash" that could be heard over the loud speakers in my home theater system if and only if I had my ear within an inch or two of the B&W N-801's tweeter.  Now, unfortunately, the level of that computer "hash" has become objectionable in that I can discern it from my listening position which is eight (8) feet away.  I know that the noise is being distributed via the DC power connection between the computer, the JS-2 and the iDSD because it still exists with all connections other than the DC power cord to the computer removed included the USB 3.0 cable between the two.  In addition, this computer "hash" is not, apparently, on the audio signal itself because the amplitude of the sound does not vary with changing the volume control on the iDSD that is feeding the main amps directly.

Not being truly versed on the ins and outs of computer audio, short of abandoning the idea of running the computer off the JS-2, does anyone have any suggestions about how this noise can be mitigated or eliminated?

Thanks for your thoughts!

42 minutes ago, Superdad said:

You are forming a ground loop. You must have some connection path—other than the one computer-to-DAC digital—in common leading from your computer and DAC (HDMI video ground maybe), probably involving your A/V receiver.

I am traveling now, but if you can post a diagram of your system (showing ALL connections to and from both your computer and DAC) I can try to point out how the loop is forming.

Hi and thanks for reaching out to help.  So a ground loop can not only cause AC hum but also result in computer (hash), switching noise as well?   

The test I conducted had the PC completely isolated from the rest of the system by having only the power cable from the JS-2 and the USB cable to the DAC connected.  The DAC had only three connections to it including the USB from the computer, the power cable from the JS-2 and the two XLR cables from the DAC to the main power amps which are McIntosh 1201s.  Note that there is no receiver hooked up whatsoever, as I am going directly into the balance inputs of the power amps, nor do I have the HDMI cable connected that was feeding the monitor.  No mouse or keyboard either.  I also disconnected the ethernet cable to the computer just in case.  I tried to isolate the JS-2, the computer and the power amps as best I could.

Because the noise is constant regardless of the position of the DAC's volume control, as an interim solution, I simply added 10db of attenuation via balanced Rothwell attenuators between the output of the DAC and the inputs of the two mono amps and can no longer hear the "hash" at the listening position so there's no real rush to troubleshoot this further.

Enjoy your travels and the upcoming holiday season!

Joe

• 1 month later...

As far as I can determine, the 2012 Mac Mini only accepts alternating (AC) current for input power due to the internal powersupply so, if this is correct, the JS-2 will not work for you.

5 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Years ago we developed this unique Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK):

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/mac-mini-dc-conversion-linear-fan-controller-kit-mmk

It is fully compatible only with Mac mini model years 2010/2011/2012/2014. We have sold hundreds of them.

If we can find the time we might do a new version to be compatible with the 2018 (“Space Gray”) and 2020 (M1) minis.

Yes Google was my friend and I learned of your very cool update!

• 1 month later...

Are you speaking of the AC or the DC cables.  If speaking of the DC cables, when transmitting pure DC I can't fathom what benefit silver plating could do but I stand ready to be educated by those that do.

Thanks for the link and I wasn't aware that there was a cable upgrade available.  Uptone's build quality and choice of raw materials is excellent IMHO.  I wanted a shorter run and got a custom cable from Ghentaudio and it performs as it should.

• 2 weeks later...

With the 2.5mm on both ends you can swap the direction of the cable if you desire.  With a 2.1mm on one end you can’t.  Begs the question can anybody say if cable direction, I.e. direction of current flow, is important or audible when direct current is involved?

• 1 year later...

Did the replacement fuse blow a second time?  If you disconnect the load(s) does the power supply still not work?  As there are "no user serviceable parts inside" it will probably have to go back.

Sometimes they fail.  It’s as simple as that.

Wow.  Those "jack of all trade" fuse holders are not simple to work with are they?  I guess that's what globalization does.  Being an old timer, I long for the days of simplicity such as is the Bussmann fuse holder pictured attached.

image.jpeg.7ae62293e05ce36eba28ba96f20f412c.jpeg

• 10 months later...

Any setting within the range will work.  If it were mine I’d set it as close to midrange (9v) as I could.

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Mercman said:

I was very pleased moving from the original cables to the new Sapphire silver cables.  I have 1 JS-2 driving a Wavelength Audio USB Spacelator and a Sonore Optical Module Deluxe.  Another JS-2 is driving a Roon Nucleus Plus. 

In terms of what to expect sonically is a tough one to answer. Overall, I believe you will hear increased clarity; other sonic benefits will depend on the device driven, 

Agreed.  A dram of 30 year old Macallan Sherry Oak improves everything immensely.