IGNORED

Squeezebox Touch Replacement

I'm sorry if this topic is in the wrong area or has been covered by other posts (I did search).

I am after a replacement on my Squeezebox touch.

Mandatory requirements:

- Flac support

- Digital out

- Wifi

- NAS networking suport

- 24-bit/96kHz min

- Built in screen that can be viewed from a few meters away

- Remote control

- Fast and user friendly interface

Nice to have:

- Internet radio

- USB

Many thanks for your responses.

Kind regards

Do you have a budget?

If you were able to drop the requirement for a built in display; I would suggest looking at Chris' review of the SotM SMS-100 or as a budget option the LIV Wave - Hi-Fi Network Music Streamer for music servers, NAS and USB Drives | eBay

Neither of these have a display but a cheap tablet or second hand iPod touch will provide something handheld. You can also build similar yourself if you are so inclined using a Arm board and downloads such as PiCorePlayer or SqueezePlug.

The closest thing with a display is the Olive One but I am unsure of current availability of this.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi all

Thanks for your quick replies.

I don't really have a budget - I suppose I would spend up to 1K if it did everything I wanted.

I am not really interested in building anything custom. The Squeezebox does everything I'm really after (tho a slightly bigger screen would be preferable). I really struggle with why these devices are not more readily available - is there really no demand for such functionality?

I am not really interested in building anything custom. The Squeezebox does everything I'm really after (tho a slightly bigger screen would be preferable). I really struggle with why these devices are not more readily available - is there really no demand for such functionality?

The thing is most people interested in such devices have a ios or android device so they don't bother with a display any more.

You could look at the Pioneer N30 and N50 - they have an okay display; as does the MF M1Clic. Or Cyrus streamers have a (now optional I think) dedicated hand held controller.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Hi all

I don't really have a budget - I suppose I would spend up to 1K if it did everything I wanted.

I have moved to a variety of ways of getting the bits into the pre-amp, but I still have 3 SBTs, one of them purchased new recently. They are still available new from several sources, although they end up costing 400-700 or so, the latter price on Amazon for a new unit, the former can be found new on Ebay from time to time.

The market has moved to smartphone or tablet based apps which can be handheld or sitting right next to you. So no need to build a device with a screen built in.

Hi all

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks for all your suggestions - I will research some of these options further.

Yes, perhaps I am a bit old school just wanting to use a normal remote control. I don't have a smart phone or a tablet, but perhaps I will need to look into that.

I have a separate Bel Canto DAC that I'm using, so the solution doesn't need a DAC.

I also don't use a computer as part of my playback set up.

Thanks and cheers

I initially tried replacing my SBT with an airport express and streaming from my computer or iDevice. If I weren't such a fiddler I might have been happy with that. Some of the newer surround sound receivers are very capable streamers. All sorts of Internet radio stations, Internet based services like Spotify, and of course you can play any music you already own. I'm looking at one if the 2014 model Pioneer models to drive my active speakers.

Where are you storing the music you stream to the SBT? Surely it has to be on a computer somewhere, unless you are openly streaming internet radio??

Thanks for all your suggestions - I will research some of these options further.

Yes, perhaps I am a bit old school just wanting to use a normal remote control. I don't have a smart phone or a tablet, but perhaps I will need to look into that.

I have a separate Bel Canto DAC that I'm using, so the solution doesn't need a DAC.

I also don't use a computer as part of my playback set up.

Thanks and cheers

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Where are you storing the music you stream to the SBT? Surely it has to be on a computer somewhere, unless you are openly streaming internet radio??

Appropriate NAS with LMS is sort of non-computer.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Seriously? The NAS is just a computer with disks attached. Often it is exactly that, with a stripped down version of a Linux distribution on it. ;)

-Paul

Hence the "...sort of..." Many people do not know what makes up an NAS. I didn't until I got my Touch.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

A NAS is a computer, period. Generally a simple low powered one compared to many desktops, but a computer nontheless. Using a NAS and a streamer doesn't mean you have taken the computer out of the equation. It just means you've switched to computer served files over ethernet, and playback from a streamer.

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Technically you are all right... But I think its pedantry.

When people say "a computer" they generally mean something you can word process on; can play solitaire and browse the internet. A general purpose computer if you will.

Eloise

---

The Squeezebox has been the centrepiece of my dedicated listening system for a few years now. It's been wonderful in so many ways. In other areas of my house, I use Sonos and love it for what it is.

If high rez music wasn't a priority for me, I would use Sonos everywhere. And if using a remote control is preferable to you, I think Sonos makes a remote control. At least they used to.

But alas, this is an audiophile forum, I do know that. I for one, am putting my faith in the Auralic Aries. I have paid my deposit for one, and am looking at it is a "grown up" replacement for my SBT. Logitech Media Server has always made life fairly easy for me, and I'm very clueless. But I've always wanted a more elegant interface. If Auralic's Lightning App is as slick as it appears it could be, I think this becomes a wonderful replacement for SBT users who are willing to spend a grand on this part of their chain.

Eloise-

Don't think it is pedantry; I think it is a false division. A NAS like a Synology is powerful enough to run lots of programs if you choose, and it generally has a fan because it needs one.

If I use a Windows "PC" as my server, and it's a dedicated server, it doesn't have to be running lots of processes, and I don't see how it is really any different. I think it may actually be superior in lots of ways.

The implication of the NAS terminology is that is it somehow superior, just because it is defined as a NAS. It doesn't mean you don't have a "computer' in the chain, in any meaningful sense of the word computer.

Technically you are all right... But I think its pedantry.

When people say "a computer" they generally mean something you can word process on; can play solitaire and browse the internet. A general purpose computer if you will.

We will have to agree to differ... However I assume you don't consider your TV; your cable / satellite box and your car computers though...

Personally I think there is a division between a general purpose computer (Windows or OSX) and one who is limited by the design of the OS to run specific tasks (including a NAS).

None of this helps the discussion though...

Eloise

Eloise-

Don't think it is pedantry; I think it is a false division. A NAS like a Synology is powerful enough to run lots of programs if you choose, and it generally has a fan because it needs one.

If I use a Windows "PC" as my server, and it's a dedicated server, it doesn't have to be running lots of processes, and I don't see how it is really any different. I think it may actually be superior in lots of ways.

The implication of the NAS terminology is that is it somehow superior, just because it is defined as a NAS. It doesn't mean you don't have a "computer' in the chain, in any meaningful sense of the word computer.

Eloise

---

I was hoping this was going to be an awesome discussion about cool stuff (stuff being a better term than "computer" around here) that can replace a Squeezebox Touch!

Well IMO the most awesome piece that I know of is the Naim Uniti. Everything in one box assuming you do not want DSD and you like the NAIM sound. However the cost is somewhat more than the SBT and it is not new. A lot of hope is for the Aries but it starts at $1K and is DSD capable but a bit after release (I think). SOTM has the server which runs LMS or you can build your own with several inexpensive Linux systems. Personally I am not really interested in DYI too much or where I have to enter Linux commands. I am ok at HW but SW/programming is not interesting. At all.

The SBT came out before its time I think. It really is a nice piece of equipment but it does have its drawbacks. If it was easier/more stable with a USB HD connected directly instead of requiring a PC/NAS setup, nothing would touch it at that price.